Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has a 1965 automatic Mustang when he first starts it and puts it in gear it won't pull, after it runs a while it will and seems to do better as it gets warmer. Could it be a filter stopped up?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Odds are good that you need a rebuild.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
My husband has a 1965 automatic Mustang when he first starts it and puts it in gear it won't pull, after it runs a while it will and seems to do better as it gets warmer. Could it be a filter stopped up?
Hi
The more details you can provide the more successful we may be in offering suggestions to help in determining the ills of your husband's mustang engine. When you state "won't pull". Do you mean it doesn't accelerate the way you or he thinks it should? If so, what basic tune up sequences have you performed? How many miles on the engine? Does it smoke, make ticking sounds? Does it start easily? Is your husband comfortable around engine work?
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem seems to be in the transmission, the motor runs good but it's like it's not in gear when he starts to pull out. After the car runs for a while the transmission works.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The problem seems to be in the transmission, the motor runs good but it's like it's not in gear when he starts to pull out. After the car runs for a while the transmission works.
The first obvious, is tranny fluid up to the proper level?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not to overstate the obvious, but is the fluid at the correct level? I know when my car still had an automatic, if the fluid was low, even just barely, it would not engage unless the motor was revved up.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
yeah, that does sound like it might just be low trans fluid. Mine used to do that when it was thirsty (and wanted some trans fluid) :yup:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Check the level on the dipstick with the engine idling in Park. It should be 1/2 way between the ADD and FULL marks. Fill it to that level but no more.
The problem you are describing is "Morning sickness". With age and heat the C4 clutch apply piston seals get hard and will not seal when cold. If it goes into revers but not forward when it is first started in the morning but runs fine for the rest of the day then it is Morning sickness for sure. If it was low on fluid you would wxperience the same symptoms all day long.
The cure for morning sickness is a rebuild - sorry but after 40 years building the C4 that is the only cure. I drove mine with morning sickness for two years before I could get around to working on my own transmission. Don't rev it up - that will burn the clutches and it will totally fail. When I finally got to rebuild mine the forward clutch apply piston seals were in pieces and as brittle as pencil lead. Be easy on it until you can plan a rebuild or, better yet get a 73 or later core from a V8 and get that one rebuilt - then swap the two and you are good to go for another 30-40 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts