Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 fox body convertible that we had a problem with the other day. The lower transmission cooling hose slipped off the pipe it was clamped to that connects to the radiator, and I lost 2/3 or the fluid in the transmission. I was coming into an intersection, slowing, when I felt the transmission slip and not drop down in gears, I was able to pull into a parking lot, and by the time I got the car stopped smoke was pouring out from under the car. I immediately shut it down, thinking that there was something electrical going on, but it was the trans smoking I was able to get it pushed into a parking space, and the next day got under the car and saw the disconnected hose. I got to putting a new clamp on the hose, reassembling it, and refilling the trans with new fluid, and crossed my fingers. It seems that 1st gear slips a lot, especially when cold, then runs through the gears with little problem. My question is, what is the harm in driving it in this condition, and what might be involved with a repair? If I took it to a transmission repair shop, would they just tell me to replace the whole trans given what happened? I am looking for some advice and appreciate anyone's help! Freaking out a bit...

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Welcome!

It sounds like the forward clutch burned up from the event. The damage is already done; continuing to drive it isn't going to make it unrebuildable (as long as you keep fluid in it). But the slipping is only going to get worse from here, and it will eventually leave you stranded somewhere, whether it's a parking lot or an intersection.

You could replace the entire transmission, but AODs are pretty easy to rebuild. The hardest part is wrestling it out of (and back into) the car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
tranny's are unforgiving. it should cost less than $800 to rebuild at the shop. that's what i paid anyways

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Identifying what is wrong is a big help and to know that it may be repairable for under 1K is potentially good news. I appreciate the input!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hope you get it done for 1k, it cost me twice that when my overdrive started slipping a few years ago.

Then lucky me a few years later it started slipping again!!

So after that I said screw this aod and swapped in a 5-speed. Best thing I ever did to my 93 LX !

I told my friend he could have my aod for his boat mooring haha!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts