Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 1991 mustang with 4.6 and 4r70w transmission. Want to install five or six speed transmission. want some suggestions as to which one to use. I want to go new.
Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
your looking to spend a lot of cash. why not just trade the car on a 5 speed. the auto you have will perform equal to any manual tranny you install with a little work.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
your looking to spend a lot of cash. why not just trade the car on a 5 speed. the auto you have will perform equal to any manual tranny you install with a little work.
+1 Sell you car and buy a 5 speed car. You will actually end up saving a lot of money and and be headache free.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Have 1991 mustang with 4.6 and 4r70w transmission. Want to install five or six speed transmission. want some suggestions as to which one to use. I want to go new.
Thanks
Richard

Did you swap the factory 5.0 for the 4.6? :scratchchin

The tranny swap is not as hard as everyone is making it out to be, nor is it as expensive. If I were you, I'd go to the local junkyard and grab the pedals, linkage and bell if you're going with a T5. If your thinking TKO, the T5 bell won't do you any good. T5's can be had for well under $1000, while a TKO will set you back $2000. The T56, to me, is a waste of money unless you want it for bragging rights. The T56 from the Cobra's only have a .62 final overdrive while the T5 has a .68 and the TKO-600 has a .64. Not much difference to support the added extra cost of a T56. Besides, the TKO is alot stronger than the factory T56's.
If you really have a 4.6 in the fox-body, you could even get a T45(factory 5 speed for the 1997-2001) that will bolt right up to the 4.6. We sell completely rebuilt T45's for $895 if you want to go that route.

You need to decide which 5 or 6 speed you want to go with and then I can give you more help. Let me know.:bigthumbsup

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.