Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband had an issue that the radiator that was replaced before we bought it is actually for the 4 cylinder Mustangs so it is to small to handle the job. We've been through two head gaskets, multiple thermostats, and two water pumps thanks to this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So Hubby hopped in my 94 Mustang GT 5.0 today and no reverse! He's checked most everything and seems to have concluded the tranny is toast. He has a 94 Mustang 3.8 that has a great tranny but the body is shot! Now I've been searching and getting conflicting answers so will a 3.8 V6 automatic tranny work in the 5.0 V8?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 1995 Mustang GT with automatic transmission and it has us stumped! As soon as you shift it out of park it goes forward, No matter what gear you put it in it drives forward except of course in park. We are stumped in what to check the shift linkage is good he's checked already but kind of at a loss from there.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,234 Posts
According to numerous threads Ive read through,the 5.0 & 3.8 AODE in the 94-95 Mustangs appears to be the same.A few threads mentioned the 3.8 AODE may have 1 less clutch,but the write-up (in thread format) listed in the link below states/shows otherwise.Its absolutely the most detailed and thorough info Ive found yet related to the AODE & 4R70W trans.Its long winded so be ready to read a little while.If the clutch count info is indeed correct in the write-up,the only other difference I could possibly see would be a difference in the shift points controlled by the ECU between the 5.0 AODE vs the 3.8 AODE.If these are different, using the 3.8 trans you mentioned might require a 3.8 ECU or controller of some type,but I am totally guessing about this subject,
so you would have to verify this via another source,unless another more knowledgeable member chimes in.Obviously if a change of ECU is required to do this successfully,you wouldn't want to do this swap since your 5.0 would run entirely different,if at all,with a 3.8 ECU.

Reactions: Grimbrand

·
Registered
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7
2,726 Posts
I am thinking the linkage may be attached, but has a problem. If the bushing in the shift lever is shot, it may be too sloppy to allow the full range of shifting. Or, it's possible the linkage is misadjusted.

To check, it's pretty straightforward; you just have to make sure the shift lever inside the car matches the position of the shift selector on the side of your transmission. Jack the car up, chock the tires so it can't move (VERY important since your car's transmission will not be in Park the whole time), and put the inside lever in Park.

Then get under the car, disconnect the shift linkage from the transmission, and turn the shift select lever by hand. You will feel it clicking through each gear position smoothly and simply. The detents should indicate PRND2L. You won't see them indicated on the transmission of course, but you can feel each 'bump' and figure out where they are in relation to where the shift selector is pointed. (all the way 'back' to the rear of the car would be Park.)

When the shift lever's in Park inside the car, move the shift select lever on the transmission until it's in Park too. Then adjust the linkage so that they both agree. If the inside shift lever is sloppy and wiggles around, allowing the linkage to move fore and aft without pressing the release button on it, that's a dead giveaway that its plastic bushing is shot. It's about a $7 part, and readily available anywhere you care to buy it.

Welcome to AFM!

·
Registered
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7
2,726 Posts
So Hubby hopped in my 94 Mustang GT 5.0 today and no reverse! He's checked most everything and seems to have concluded the tranny is toast. He has a 94 Mustang 3.8 that has a great tranny but the body is shot! Now I've been searching and getting conflicting answers so will a 3.8 V6 automatic tranny work in the 5.0 V8?
'94 5.0 and 3.8 transmissions are for sure interchangeable, but the v6 transmission has less clutches, which might cause problems with 'spirited' driving due to slippage. It's not too hard to fix, and they're pretty much the same, otherwise. If you intend to be gentle with the car anyway, it probably wouldn't even be a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts