Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Mustang. 3.8L V6. I recently ran in to some transmission problems and have found out the my T5 is no longer any good. I was wonder if it were possible to put a 1986 T5 out of a Ford Ranger in there instead. Would it be possible? Sorry, I`m still new to all this and just wanting to learn. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
One of the issues you will encounter will be the transmission speed sensor. The 1986 will have a mechanically driven cable. Where as the 1994 will use an electronic VSS sensor.

I have to agree that it's not that hard to find a transmission that will "plug and play" swap in. Try car-part.com for a searchable list of salvage yards in your area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I`ll start looking around to find one. I`ve heard that they are pretty popular and easy to find. I`ll get it figured out one way or the other! Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I guess i`m looking to pick up a used tranny. should I stick to getting one from a 94 v6? Or can I get the same tranny from another make or model? Sorry for the noob questions. I`m still learning.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
So I guess i`m looking to pick up a used transmission. should I stick to getting one from a 94 v6? Or can I get the same transmission from another make or model? Sorry for the noob questions. I`m still learning.
The 94 V-6 T-5 is the same from 94 through 98.

A 94/95 V-8 unit is an exact fit as well, but the gear ratios are slightly different and the torque rating is increased from 265 ft/lbs to 300 ft/lbs.

The most noticeable difference would be the fifth gear ratio. The V-6 has a 0.73 fifth and the V-8 has a 0.68 fifth gear. The 94/95 V-8 T-5 is a little hard to find since they were only made for those two years. The 94-98 V-6 T-5 is relatively plentiful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts