Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has already been covered before. It seems as if the MT-82 thread is now full of useless information. I have a 2011 GT with now 13k miles on it. In the past 1k miles I have notice the same transmission whine that others have spoke about before. It is most noticeably in 1st-4th gear between 1k-3k rpm. I brought my car in for service to have it looked at. I was told this is a "normal" characteristic of the transmission. They ensured me that there is nothing wrong and another new GT on the lot was doing the same thing. My question is, how does this happen all of a sudden, and how can they ensure me that this will not lead to problems in the future? My warranty is only 3/36k since it is Roushcharged. I do not beat on the car and have never and will never track it. This does not seem to be a good sign. I am concerned and would like this addressed before it is too late.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't think there's any way to avoid it. I had a 2011 GT and now a 2012 GT. Both had the whine when accelerating, and also the box-of-rocks grindy sound when lugging it even slightly. The 2012 GT has the transmission whine worse but I honestly don't care about that as it sounds "right" to me for a performance car with a lot of power going through the transmission. My complaints are actually about the engine ticking and rear end whine that drones at a high pitch when cruising at freeway speeds.

I mainly hear it when accelerating ... all the gears whining/spinning up and under load. But at steady speeds it's fine, so I'm fine with it and don't even notice it.

I'd be surprised to hear anyone on here say that they hear no gear whine... in fact I probably wouldn't believe them :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
My 2011 6MT was trouble and whine free until about 20k, and then when getting off the highway after my daily commute to work, I started hearing whine. At first, it wasn't too noticeable unless you had the radio off, and then it started to get a little worse to where I heard it clearly through gears 1-4.

After I took it in for service, the dealership got the Ford Tech Line to approve the diagnosis. They pulled the trans, scattered it, and then found the input shaft bearing had started to fail. The metal from that bearing was now completely through the complete transmission had started wearing on other components inside the transmission.

End result, Ford replaced my MT82 transmission around 20k miles. The sound was not normal to my car, and when the whine started, I also started feeling more and more driveline backlash.

Unfortunately, I only kept the car for another 10k miles before trading it in, as too was now too worried about the cars ability to keep a trouble free transmission and clutch under it, and when estimating the cost of an extended warranty to cover the transmission over 60k miles, along with the potential cost of a clutch replacement, it became financially clear that a new car with an Automatic Trans was a better decision.

Good thing is that you can always take your car to another dealer. Wait another few thousand miles to see if anything changes, pay attention to the driveline backlash, and any additional increase in noise. If it does, track the changes over the mileage, and take it back to any Ford dealer for another shot.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Everyone I drove so far has a little whine to some degree. Mine is ever so slight in 1st and 2nd but you have to have everything off and really listen for it. I only have 1900 miles on mine so far.

·
Registered
666 Posts
My brembo MT is at 5500miles. the gearbox whine is there since 2000 miles. Does this mean that we're all going to end up having our transmissions replaced at 20-30k miles? sounds like the whine starts the moment parts begin failing in the transmission and carries on until total failure.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My tranny has the whine--I talked to a Ford Service rep that Drystra (sic) had call me on my Mustane peoblems-This was covered in another post. Anyway, Ford has this documented now and we will wait and see if anything gets worst, or if the tranny fails..
I have serveral mods on the car and Ford knows whAT those mods are..I have always paid for any thing I had done too the car..(gears,LCA,alum drive line,Boss manifold , Bama tunes etc ) I have 4700 miles on it now ancd really enjoy the power and ride.
I don't run too the dealers waving a warranty every time I feel or hear something in the car..I expect to have some expences and I am prepared to take care of them by myself. When something BIG happens, than I will ask for help from either the dealer of FORD,,,,,

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
Took delivery of my GT with 4 miles on the odometer. Have a slightly noticeable whine when accelerating in 1st, more of a whine in 2nd and after that nothing at all. Been there from day one. 2nd gear whine was by far louder but it seems to be quieter now with 900 miles on her... or I am just getting used to it.

Coming from many years of automatics, it concerned me a bit at first but it appears to be normal for this transmission. Who knows what the future brings though, but I am covered for the next seven years.

F

·
0 Posts
I know this has already been covered before. It seems as if the MT-82 thread is now full of useless information. I have a 2011 GT with now 13k miles on it. In the past 1k miles I have notice the same transmission whine that others have spoke about before. It is most noticeably in 1st-4th gear between 1k-3k rpm. I brought my car in for service to have it looked at. I was told this is a "normal" characteristic of the transmission. They ensured me that there is nothing wrong and another new GT on the lot was doing the same thing. My question is, how does this happen all of a sudden, and how can they ensure me that this will not lead to problems in the future? My warranty is only 3/36k since it is Roushcharged. I do not beat on the car and have never and will never track it. This does not seem to be a good sign. I am concerned and would like this addressed before it is too late.
Hello Markthebarber,

I’d like to get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info.

Deysha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts