Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a standard with a 302 and i believe the transmission is from a 2.8 but i could be wrong. I know when buying the pilot bearing it was not the standard 5.0 one. Anyways it has been running strong for about 5 months now and just today after stopping at a red light i put it into first and i noticed it was a bit more difficult. so i started to head home and on my way which was approx 20 blocks i then had to start forcing it to even go into gear. what would cause my problem?

·
Registered
243 Posts
probly has a bent shift fork inside the trans. sooner or later it will get stiff to the point where it breaks, then the 3/4 shift fork will do the same. i'd be looking for another trans.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree, shift fork problem most likely, or possibly synchros.

You could try a rebuild, if you're pretty mechanical. Rebuilding a manual isn't too bad, to be honest. Of course, if you've got the cash to spare, it's a great excuse for an upgrade... :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could be your clutch is out of adjustment. Do you still have the stock quardrant?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
+1 on the adjustment. Mine had no problems until I replaced the master cylinder. I know its different but still the same principal. There hard to bleed so clutch takes longer to disengage thus causing trouble w/ shifting.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Check the easy things first like the adjustment, then how much abuse does the trans get? If you powershift, it could be bent shift forks. Do you have an aftermarket shifter?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
It's either the cable isn't adjusted right, the pressure plate is shot, bent shift forks and bad syncros.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.