Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to wire up my gauges and dash pod tonight... holy jesus what a PITA. Had I realized how much it stunk, I would have probably gotten the a-pillar even though I wanted the dash pod more. Actually once I figured out the trick, it wasn't to bad, but I couldn't find any good how-to's anywhere, just various "oh I did it this way" without much description, so I had to learn the hard way.

Anyway, if you look under your dash from the drivers side, you will see a small hole way up above the steering wheel. See the first pic, I already have a wire running through it. In that photo I am looking straight up, the bottom of the photo is towards the drivers seat and the top is towards the engine bay. Hopefully that makes sense. If you look in the second photo, you will see where the wire comes out. If you slide your finger in between the window and dash, you can wrap it around and feel the top of the hole. It's between the 11th and 12th (maybe 10th and 11th, can't remember now) vent slats. I don't have small hands but I don't have sausage fingers either, so if you do, you can forget this as I barely got my fingers in there to reach it.

The trick is to use something stiff to wrap around the edge of the dash between the window and then push the edge down with your finger so that it guides it in to the hole. I used a zip tie with the large end cut off and then used electrical tape to attach a long piece of wire as my fishing line (see the 3rd photo). Push the zip tie in between the window and dash then guide it with your finger. You have to get the edge of the zip tie in the hole then push it a tiny bit, push the slack down with your finger, push the zip tie, etc. etc. until enough of it gets through that you can grab it and pull from the underside of the dash. I tried pushing too much at once and it would bind up and the part that I managed to get in the hole would just pop out. Slow and steady is the key here. I actually did this a few times because I didn't cut the end of the zip tie off the first couple times and it just wouldn't go through. By the third time I had the hang of it and I got it to go in quickly with no problems.

I found it easiest to pull wires with large ends up from the underside of the dash since the hardest part to get around is the lip of the hole. You can reach up there and guide it with your fingers and once it gets past that lip, the dash flexes enough that the rest of the way isn't too much trouble. If you just have regular wires without fittings on the ends, you can pull them fairly easily in either direction.

Hope this helps someone who might be installing one of these soon. Had I know what to do in the first place, the install might not have been so bad, but anyway you slice it, it's still more work than an a-pillar pod.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't see that before, nice write up. The only thing is that yours was a vent pod. This is a 3 gauge pod that sits on top of the dash. Most of the instructions say to run the wires through the slats for the window defroster, but that's the extent of them. A lot of people posted about going through the passenger side and reach op through the glove box, but I had no luck figuring out what they were talking about. The underside of the dash on the passenger side is way more congested than the drivers side. Some people talked about drilling holes in various areas etc. but again, no pictures and I wasn't sure what they were describing. As with most wiring jobs, there are tons of ways you could do it, but this is what I figured out after trial and error and it didn't require disassembly of the dash or cutting any holes.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, here are some pictures of the finished product. Looks like I missed a couple red wires with the cable wrap... :mad:

In hind site, it probably would have been better to drill a small hole in the vent channel and run the wires through there. If you look at the first picture in my first post, you can see the vent channel just below the hole, opposite the cable bundle. This would have allowed the wires to drop straight down through the vent and the hole would have been clean and inconspicuous. Really don't feel like re-pulling all those cables now though :)

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
hOW MUCH YOU PAY FOR ALL YOUR GAUGES?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pod was $85, Nitrous Pressure was $110, Fuel Pressure was $90, and A/F Wideband w/Datalogging output was $190. I got a 10% off coupon for all of the gauges too, so it came to $350 plus the pod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts