Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i`ve really been reasearching these trickflow twisted wedge heads, and so i have some questions:
i`ve heard that they won`t work with the stock rockers?
About how long for the install?(hours)
Basically, Am i going to have to upgrade ANYTHING at all to put these heads on?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
So i`ve really been reasearching these trickflow twisted wedge heads, and so i have some questions:
i`ve heard that they won`t work with the stock rockers?
About how long for the install?(hours)
Basically, Am i going to have to upgrade ANYTHING at all to put these heads on?
The reason the stock rockers won't work is because the stockers are pedestal mount. The TW heads use stud mount rockers. So you'll have to get new rockers.

If you don't have any/much experience with head swaps it could be a weekend job. For an experienced shop I would estimate about 8 hours or so (that's a complete guess).

You will want to upgrade the fuel system. And you definitely don't want to use the stock intake on those heads otherwise the money you spend on the heads will be wasted. You also don't want to use the stock exhaust. The stock exhaust will work for a while, but you still won't get the full potential out of the heads unless you upgrade the exhaust.

So, better fuel system, aftermarket intake, stud mount roller rockers, new gaskets.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
^^^+1, you will also need the tfs pushrods in the correct length for those heads. I believe 6.7

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the 1.6 or 1.7 RR?
do you know of any places to pick those up cheap?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh also i forgot to add, with the fuel system do i need a better fuel pump and injectors or just injectors? and if so what output of fuel pump?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
255 fuel pump,24lb injectors and matching Mass Air meter,73mm or larger..larger throttle body is also recommended,like 65-70mm at least

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all that air stuff but is there any way to tell if i have the 73mm mass air meter?
do i go with 1.7 or 1.6 rockers?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
rocker ratio really depends on the cam choice

is your meter stock?
or aftermarket?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
If you don't have any/much experience with head swaps it could be a weekend job. For an experienced shop I would estimate about 8 hours or so (that's a complete guess).
I can get it done in 4 hours. Thats non stop, no bullshittin" :gringreen

And............... Air Tools

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Feen's right, a weekend for a beginner, an afternoon for someone with experience.

Really what you would want is 80mm MAF, a good CAI, 75mm throttle body and EGR to match a Trickflow intake, full roller rockers, a Trick Flow cam, lifters, and pushrods, timing set, fuel pump and injectors, along with a bigger radiator and exhaust.

I may even be forgetting some stuff here.

you could just bolt on the heads with a new set of rockers and pushrods though.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts

Ha I don't know how NOT to BS! When you smoke cig's and drink beer when working on your car, it tends to happen. But I still get it done.

Air tools make life about 10 times easier too. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Feen's right, a weekend for a beginner, an afternoon for someone with experience.

Really what you would want is 80mm MAF, a good CAI, 75mm throttle body and EGR to match a Trickflow intake, full roller rockers, a Trick Flow cam, lifters, and pushrods, timing set, fuel pump and injectors, along with a bigger radiator and exhaust.

I may even be forgetting some stuff here.

you could just bolt on the heads with a new set of rockers and pushrods though.
A better radiator isn't necessary, but it would help. And that big of an MAF and TB isn't necessary either. A 73-75mm MAF with 70mm TB would work just fine. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
A better radiator isn't necessary, but it would help. And that big of an MAF and TB isn't necessary either. A 73-75mm MAF with 70mm TB would work just fine. :bigthumbsup
I was talking about for the whole setup. The Trickflow intake is ported for a 75mm throttle body.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

Ha I don't know how NOT to BS! When you smoke cig's and drink beer when working on your car, it tends to happen. But I still get it done.
When I'm working at home, a lot of BSing happens! I usually do all my major work in the winter so there's not big hurry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.