Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most would have seen is TripTunes in the 2006 Ford Accessory catalouge...here is a response I got from the ask Kate thing at MyFord...

"
Dear Matt,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the TripTunes options you saw in the 2006 Mustang Accessory guide.

In researching your request, we have found that the TripTunes option is only available for the 2006 Mustang. At the Customer Relationship Center we would not be able to advise you if this option is compatible for your vehicle year, we recommend that you speak with your local Ford dealership sales department, as they would be able to tell you if this option can be added to your vehicle or not,.they will also be able to provide you with the price as well, as Ford dealerships do set their own prices.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Kim
Customer Relationship Center"

That's great except none of the Ford Dealers around here know what the heck this thing is. They don't have any information on it. Maybe that Fred-Fred guy knows something about this. I've seen you post (if you are reading) and you seem to know your stuff, any info for all of us craving this item?
Ford Motor Company

·
Registered
3 Posts
2006 mustang ipod

unfortunately this item is not available yet. I work at a Ford dealer and I gave my parts department the base part number from the book and it didn't come up because it's not available. I want to get one for my 06. It should work for your 05 as the radios did not change but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking there'd be no reason it wouldn't work for the '05s because like you said it's the same exact stereo, and that's what it plugs in to. i hope that this item becomes available real soon.

here is hoping!

·
Registered
284 Posts
What type of Radio do you have??
I will try to find out for you.
Thanks for the support!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a buddy of mine check into this for me. Since he works in a Ford parts department he simply contacted his points of contact at Ford. They're saying that this adaptor will not work on the 2005 radios. Best we can figure is that maybe Ford changed something in the radio or CAN-bus with the 2006 model year.

He also found out that this won't likely be available till December.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no real info about this. i have the Shaker 500 stereo. ford doesn't even know if it works with the 05's. does this mean it won't work with the 05 standard stereo, or do you have to have the Shaker stereo. i don't see any info regarding any changes in the Shaker Systems that differ from the ones in the 05's and the ones in the 06's.

thanks all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im an authorized Ford accessories installer. I spoke to my supplier and they ordered these last week. Soon to be available. There talking $45-$50 dealer cost. I have the install manuals for them already. There only going to be available For the ranger, focus, and mustangs. As far as the install goes, it looks FM modulated to me. Power, ground, antenna plug, then 2 rca plugs, and another plug that goes to a switch that mounts in your glove compartment. Email me [email protected] if you want to see the .pdf file for the instructions.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Bad News On Triptunes

Ruse said:
Im an authorized Ford accessories installer. I spoke to my supplier and they ordered these last week. Soon to be available. There talking $45-$50 dealer cost. I have the install manuals for them already. There only going to be available For the ranger, focus, and mustangs. As far as the install goes, it looks FM modulated to me. Power, ground, antenna plug, then 2 rca plugs, and another plug that goes to a switch that mounts in your glove compartment. Email me [email protected] if you want to see the .pdf file for the instructions.
:mad: BAD NEWS ON TRIPTUNES!!!!

Ruse is absolutely correct. He sent me the pdf file and I can confirm without a doubt that it is an FM modulator. For all those that were hoping that it was a sweet interface to the AUX input this is bad news because its not. I guess we will all have to wait for PIE to fix theirs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
GeoStang said:

Ruse is absolutely correct. He sent me the pdf file and I can confirm without a doubt that it is an FM modulator. For all those that were hoping that it was a sweet interface to the AUX input this is bad news because its not. I guess we will all have to wait for PIE to fix theirs.
Thanks Ruse & GeoStang for the heads-up. I better mod my signature & take out TripTunes from my future mods list. Looks like I'll be using the Monster modulator for awhile longer. :weeps

·
Registered
70 Posts
GeoStang said:

I got the new chip for my PIE FRD04 yesterday. I put it in and all seems to be working properly now. I have had the CAN harness plugged in to the shaker for 24 hours now, and everything is working well, including the dimmer lighting and speed senstiive volume.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
does the PIE adapter let you charge and control the ipod from the Shaker stereo? or does it just let you play it through an AUX port?

·
Registered
70 Posts
selfdisplaced said:
does the PIE adapter let you charge and control the ipod from the Shaker stereo? or does it just let you play it through an AUX port?
It only provides the audio input to the aux port. You still need some kind of charger if you want it to charge in the car. I got a dlo transpod last spring when I first got the car and besides the fm transmitter, it is also a charging dock. Plugged into the outlet in the top of the dash it provides a perfect mount for the ipod. It also has a headphone port on the side which I have the audio cable plugged into. I don't use the fm transmitter anymore, I just use the transpod as a dock for the ipod. It is readilly accesible and alsays charged. With this setup I just slide in the ipod and go. I don't have to mess with the cable or pugging anything in. If I travel and have to use a rental car I can just take the transpod along and use the transmitter.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
TJ's06GTStang said:
Sam,
Is the PIE FRD04 available for the 2006 Mustang? Also how difficult was the installation?
Thanks
It works with all the new ford head units that are used in the latest mustangs, f-series, 500, freestyle, fusion, and focus. Installation is pretty straight forward. I have attached the relevant parts of the manual that show you how to remove the console and radio. You don't have to remove the whole console. Just lift the top panel up and back a couple of inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
sam_abuelsamid said:
It works with all the new ford head units that are used in the latest mustangs, f-series, 500, freestyle, fusion, and focus. Installation is pretty straight forward. I have attached the relevant parts of the manual that show you how to remove the console and radio. You don't have to remove the whole console. Just lift the top panel up and back a couple of inches.
Sam - Your setup looks great and also, thanks for the installation .pdfs. I'm curious...can the DLO Transpod plug into the accessory power plug which is inside the console compartment?

·
Registered
70 Posts
GTEUPP said:
Sam - Your setup looks great and also, thanks for the installation .pdfs. I'm curious...can the DLO Transpod plug into the accessory power plug which is inside the console compartment?
You can put the transpod in the console, but I wouldn't recommend it. The compartment sits under you elbow. Unless you plan to just turn on the ipod when you get in the car and let it play, it will be very difficult to control the ipod because it will be behind your elbow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm Pie Confused

Ok, I just bought a 2006 V6 Mutang coupe. I want to be able to play my IPOD through my shaker 1000 system. What I'm hearing here is the triptunes option is an FM modulator and would reduce the quality of the sound. I definitely don't want that. I went to the Log Jam Electronics website and checked out their the PIE FRD 04-AUx adaptor. Is this the best option? They also offer a 3.5mm adaptor and an adaptor specifically for the ipod. Someone mentioned something about getting/installing a chip. What the heck is that all about??? I need some good advice and direction before I move ahead with this project. The thought of taking my dash apart scares the heck out of me!!!!

Steve

·
Registered
70 Posts
Stryder63 said:
Ok, I just bought a 2006 V6 Mutang coupe. I want to be able to play my IPOD through my shaker 1000 system. What I'm hearing here is the triptunes option is an FM modulator and would reduce the quality of the sound. I definitely don't want that. I went to the Log Jam Electronics website and checked out their the PIE FRD 04-AUx adaptor. Is this the best option? They also offer a 3.5mm adaptor and an adaptor specifically for the ipod. Someone mentioned something about getting/installing a chip. What the heck is that all about??? I need some good advice and direction before I move ahead with this project. The thought of taking my dash apart scares the heck out of me!!!!

Steve
First the chip issue. The first production batch of pie adapters had a software bug on the mustangs and ford 500. This caused them to loose recognition from the stereo. People who got units from the first batch recieved a new chip that fixed the problem. If you order one now you don't have to worry about this issue.

The pie 3.5mm adapter is just a headphone to rca plug patch cable. You can pick up one of these locally at any target or radio shack for about $4-5. You can also get the belkin ipod auto kit for about $35 at target and other stores. It plugs into the dock connector of the ipod and has a 3.5mm jack. You plug the patch cord into this and the pie aux adapter. The dock connector from the belkin unit goes to the ipod. The blitzsafe cable from logjam does the same thing as the belkin adapter and the patch cord and costs more.

Finally taking the dash apart is actually pretty easy. You just need a philips screwdriver and a 7mm socket. If you look at one of my previous posts (#14 on this thread) you can grab the pdf of the shop manual with the instructions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sam_abuelsamid said:
First the chip issue. The first production batch of pie adapters had a software bug on the mustangs and ford 500. This caused them to loose recognition from the stereo. People who got units from the first batch recieved a new chip that fixed the problem. If you order one now you don't have to worry about this issue.

The pie 3.5mm adapter is just a headphone to rca plug patch cable. You can pick up one of these locally at any target or radio shack for about $4-5. You can also get the belkin ipod auto kit for about $35 at target and other stores. It plugs into the dock connector of the ipod and has a 3.5mm jack. You plug the patch cord into this and the pie aux adapter. The dock connector from the belkin unit goes to the ipod. The blitzsafe cable from logjam does the same thing as the belkin adapter and the patch cord and costs more.

Finally taking the dash apart is actually pretty easy. You just need a philips screwdriver and a 7mm socket. If you look at one of my previous posts (#14 on this thread) you can grab the pdf of the shop manual with the instructions.
Thanks Sam, GREAT information. I'm leaning towards the standard 3.5mm input jack so it can be used with devices other than IPOD. Two more quick questions:
1) The removal and installation pdf says you need to upload the audio unit configuration to the diagnostic tool. Is this necessary for what I'm doing?
2) Will i have to splice any wires to install the FRD04-AUX? Their diagram shows a connection to a black/green and to a grey/violet.

I just bought my Mustang 2 weeks ago. I LOVE THIS CAR. My first car was a 1976 Mustang II, 4 cylinder, 4 speed manual. Even tho the engine was crappy I still loved that car. I have the V6 5 speed manual pony package now. Even driving to work is fun!!!

Thanks again!
Steve

·
Registered
70 Posts
Stryder63 said:
Thanks Sam, GREAT information. I'm leaning towards the standard 3.5mm input jack so it can be used with devices other than IPOD. Two more quick questions:
1) The removal and installation pdf says you need to upload the audio unit configuration to the diagnostic tool. Is this necessary for what I'm doing?
2) Will i have to splice any wires to install the FRD04-AUX? Their diagram shows a connection to a black/green and to a grey/violet.

I just bought my Mustang 2 weeks ago. I LOVE THIS CAR. My first car was a 1976 Mustang II, 4 cylinder, 4 speed manual. Even tho the engine was crappy I still loved that car. I have the V6 5 speed manual pony package now. Even driving to work is fun!!!

Thanks again!
Steve
You don't have to upload anything. This is only if you are replacing the whole head unit. The pie adapter does need a 12V power supply. The easiest thing to do is to tap into the power and ground wires for the outlet above the radio. The harness supplied by pie has the 2 lines coming out of it and you can jsut splice into the available wires. If you plan on using some kind of ipod charger in the center outlet like I have done, you should also install a ground loop isolator filter on the power line to the outlet. If you don't you will probably get a high pitched noise when the engine is running and you are charging the ipod. You can get these at most electronics , or audio stores.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts