Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the hell do I get the bearing races off the main, imput, cluster, shafts? Those are hard as hell and I can't get the 2/3 jaw pullers to grip on such small amount of material. Some are so close to gears that I can't use chisel and hammer technique. I don't have access to a press so what can I do? Surely they make a better tool to remove pressed bearings besides a gear puller. Thank You.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
You need a press - find one to use or buy a $110 12 ton one from Harbor Frieght.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
?

Any other ideas

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
none that will take the place of a press..........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got it

I got it. I went to harbor freight. It's like a candy store. I loved everything in there and bought so much. So cheap. Anyways I got a bearing seperator the basicaly is a clamp with two half moon pieces that squeze together. Clamped that around the race and then used a 2 jaw puller and yanked it off of there. Thanks for refering me to harbor freight

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
No problem. Good enough tools for the non-professional user. Just be sure your measuring tools are top shelf.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Forgot to ask, OK now how are you going to press those bearings back on? Here's a tip for the shaft bearing - put the shaft in the freezer for a few hours. Heat the bearing to ~200 degrees F in the oven. Remove shaft from the freezer, drop the heated bearing on the shaft and let the temps equalize. No need to try and rig up something to press the bearing race over that long shaft.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good idea

yeah, thats what I have heard. I'll probably use that technique. I also heard putting them in ATF in a can and in the oven helps too. Should I try to slightly hammer down on the bearings or let gravity pull them on like you said? Keep in mind I'm changing all bearins. Imput, mainshaft, and both ends of Cluster gears. Thanks. I'm waiting for main shaft to come back from Precision Products or shaftrepair.com

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Gravity or tap - not hammer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.