Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am in the middle of replacing my fuel pump and I have run into another snagging point, this time I am having trouble getting the filler neck out of the gas tank.

I cut the grommet/gasket from the outside, so I can move the filler neck around inside the gas tank with relative ease. The tank straps are removed, and the tank is lowered as far as it can go, but I am not able to get this filler neck out.

I've tried lifting the tank, twisting it, all while trying to pull the Filler neck out. I'm sure I just need to keep working it, but does anyone have any pointers on this part?

98 GT

-Karl

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Damn. My car's a '99. I dunno it it has the same setup, but getting the filler neck out is a PITA.
Stupid question, but did you unbolt it at the top?

On my '99 there is no reason to remove the filler neck to access the fuel pump... Just sayin...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely not a dumb question, I should have mentioned everything I have done. I have removed the 3 screws in the Gas Cap area where you actually fill up the car with gas. I also removed the 3 screws that are in the trunk that bolt to the bottom of the trunk.

The 8mm bolt that connects the bracket to the tank is removed as well. My presumption is that I just need to maneuver the tank a bit and in one constant motion pull the tank towards the drivers side, and also pull the filler neck towards the passenger side.

I did not remove the 4/5 Torque bolts in the fuel door area, but it seems as though it is not necessary when you look at the design.

When I look through the fuel door you can see that the filler neck has been moved and is not sitting flush in the fuel door (it is moved back and to the side.)

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Cool.
Well it's a known fact that it is a pain in the butt to replace fuel filler neck gaskets, and they go bad sometimes.
I had to replace mine a few months ago, and it was a biotch getting the filler neck out.
It seems as though you have everything going properly, you'll just have to wrestle with it a bit.
Be careful though, theres a plastic dealio on the end of the filler neck with plastic tabs on it. It's to keep fuel from being able to spill out of the tank, anti-siphoning thing. It's kinda fragile, and if you bend it too much getting it out, the plastic tabs will break off and end up in your tank.

I don't know what else to tell you about it, man. Be patient. You might try throwing some tools and cussing. :laugh:

I feel your pain. I didn't have any fun doing that job, either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the filler neck off after another 30 minutes or so. Had to pull the gas tank in the direction straight back from the car while trying not to put too much pressure on the filler neck.

Does not appear those plastic tabs broke off during the process. At a stopping point, next step is to siphon out the un-stabilized gasoline that has been sitting in there for way too long, and fishing out the back part of that old gasket that fell into the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts