Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble getting that last bolt, the top one on the drivers side, holding the transmission to bell housing. Its like ford put every wire, bolt, and mount in front of it they could. I have a universal joint and extensions but it beels like the universal joint is jsut gonna break. any tips?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
You may have the trans hanging making the bolt tight. Try putting a jack under the tail section and raise slightly to take pressure off the bolt. This usually works for me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, for the reply, the trans was putting pressure on the bolt. Not everything is discopnected and I'm trying to wiggle it off but it feels like it has stopped. I disconected the speedo cable, all the wires, took the shifter off, am I forgetting something

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I managed to wiggle it out, but one qucik question, can I take the engine out with the bellhousing still attached, because it looks like a real pain to remove while still in the car if I can jsut remove outside the car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
if you get a good tilt on the engine (higher in the front) you should be able to get it out with the engine, but its really not that bad to unbolt, I take the top 4 bolts out of the bell housing from under the hood and the rest from the ground.

·
Registered
224 Posts
if you get a good tilt on the engine (higher in the front) you should be able to get it out with the engine, but its really not that bad to unbolt, I take the top 4 bolts out of the bell housing from under the hood and the rest from the ground.
I have seen a couple of different people remove and then reinstall the WHOLE drivetrain thru the hood/engine compartment. Easy? probably not but not impossible.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, thanks fro the advice guys, I'll just try to unbolt it in the car.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
The engine shouldn't be that hard to take out with just the bellhousing attached. I've seen plenty of people take the engine out with the trans still intact, so I'm sure it can be done with just the bellousing. Those top two bolts can be a $(*&# to get off. I just found that using LONG extensions and a wobble extension (universal extension) makes it tons easier. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Remember now that there is no trans in the car, the engine is only being held in place by the motor mounts. You may want to support the rear of the motor with a jack.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, I already have one under there, but now that I think about it, I can probably lower the rear of the engine a tad and it would make getting to the bellhousing bolts a lot easier

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.