Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my shock/strut set and upon first opening the rear shocks I found that the first one didn't seem to extend back out after being fully compressed. I pulled it outward a little and it then began moving rather slowly, taking a minute or more to fully extend. The other shock is similar. Could they both be bad, or is this something inherent to these shocks? I've always judged shocks being good or bad (upon receiving them) by testing whether or not they rebound quickly.

·
Administrator
13,237 Posts
Pretty sure they were designed to work with the weight of the car on them, not push/pull by hand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds completely normal for these shocks to me.
They are a gas charged shock so they will slowly extend, but they have a stiffer valving rate than a standard stock style shock so the extension will be at a much slower rate. Trying to operate them by hand is a workout and exercise in futility. They are designed to control and dampen movements of force far beyond what you can exert by hand, so this stiffer valving is what help stabilize your handling and provide a smoother ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts