Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had the engine recently 1 year rebuilt ( and then redone again-6 months ago, warranty), the first time there was a head gasket leak, and an exhaust manifold leak due to port divider weld issue. Now, a similar problem: If the engine runs on highway for 20-30 minutes of sustained 70 miles an hour, it splashes oil on engine compartment. Compression is low on #2 cylinder (60 lbs vs 150 or so for the balance). Frustrating. I've been reading a lot here: Could it be head was not planed ? Rings are bad ? What should be my next steps here? Help appreciated.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Do a leak-down test. Not only does it indicate how much leakage there is but it will also tell you where the cylinder leakage is going.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
One thing you can do, is remove the plug on No 2, squirt a couple of shots of sae30w oil into the cylinder, disable the ignition (so it doesn't start), crank it over a few times and redo your compression test on that cylinder, if the compression improves significantly, then you have a ring sealing issue (weak, lost tension, broken), if the compression did not improve, then it is a valve leaking or cam lobe issue, remove the valve cover and crank the engine and make sure all the valves are moving the same amount, if you had a worn off lobe, the valve would be hardly moving. Post your results. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.

I'm going to try testing the #2 cylinder tomorrow and see if I can isolate the issue with the oil spray test described
, if not the leak down test . Not being a mechanic will slow down progress but I will update when the issue is figured out/ solved

1 - 4 of 4 Posts