Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hear me out on this :wavey
I need a set of 255 /45 R18 tires for my new rims.
I have a V6 so ultimate traction is not #1 on the list (aka Eagle 1s, etc)
I want good / great traction, but would rather have a tire with A traction and higher treadwear than a AA traction with 280 or less treadwear. Make sense?

I simply can not find a tire that is in the correct size, 300+ treadwear and is not EXTREMELY expensive.

I keep finding light truck performance tires......they have the A traction and good treadwear. Specifically the Toyo Proxes ST (hey ST could stand for Street ;) LOL )
For example it is rated:
treadwear 420
Traction A
Speed V

Why not run this tire on a mustang or anyother STREET only SUV tire?

·
Registered
109 Posts
There shouldnt be much diffference, i would have gone that route, but i couldnt find any the right size. My main reason was to increase handleing and to look better, i hate the baloon tires on a sports car, it drivesme crazy. But if you can find the right size (255/45/18) then go for it you wont get as good of performance or stickyness but they should still be better than the crappy stockers!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Go for it dude!

I have those exact tires on my V6 and they look, wear and perform great!!

Toyo Proxies ST 255/45R18

Have no fear go with them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Killer-Wombat

THANK YOU!!
I am not the only out there who thought of this nutty idea!
I think my tire search has come to an end :)
and a HECK of a lot cheaper than the T1-Rs

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
What about the Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S ?

The UTQG is 400 AA A, they have a nice load rating and being M&S they should do well in the weather you are likely to encounter.

I recommend you got to tirerack.com and check them out.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
billyb196 said:
What about the Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S ?

The UTQG is 400 AA A, they have a nice load rating and being M&S they should do well in the weather you are likely to encounter.

I recommend you got to tirerack.com and check them out.
I'm with billyb196. They come stock on the GT and they are awesome for what they are, stock, inexpensive tires. I've seen them at discounttiredirect.com for about $125 with free shipping occasionally. That 60ft time you see in my sig was with stock pirelli's with 33,000 miles on them!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Zero Neros are $260 on the site now.
Needing somethign cheaper than that:)

After reading reviews, I think those Toyo STs are the best one I can find :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Steven6095 said:
The Zero Neros are $260 on the site now.
Needing somethign cheaper than that:)

After reading reviews, I think those Toyo STs are the best one I can find :)
I got mine from Discount tire for a lot less (around $195) and the guy gave me a discount over the web site too. That particular size (255/45-18) seems to be in very high demand.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
billyb196 said:
Those are a different size.

The P-Zero System's are showing $259:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=2005&c=1&sw=false&cs=255&pc=41206&rd=18&vid=008857&ar=45

And the P-Zero Nero M+S are $10 more for $269:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=2005&c=1&sw=false&cs=255&pc=41914&rd=18&vid=008857&ar=45

They must have raised the price. It's getting crazy !!!
Same tire, one size smaller, twice as much. Well, at least it makes sense.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Good thread...I was just looking at new tires on TireRack last night. Here's my question: I have read that, "depending on the width of the tire" in relation to the wheel/rim size, that you will have to go with new wheels. I've got a Sixer and REALLY like the look of my 16" wheels...want to keep them...but I also want a wider tire (at least a 235). Is there any formula or rule you know about that dictates when I would have to go to a different wheel size? The OEMs on the V6 are 215/65. Any help is appreciated...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can go with a larger tire :)

Easiest way to see : Go to Toyo.com

They have a tire fitment guide. Select the +0 fitment and they will show you what sizes of wider tires you can use :) Not just with their brand but all

·
Registered
113 Posts
zregime said:
Good thread...I was just looking at new tires on TireRack last night. Here's my question: I have read that, "depending on the width of the tire" in relation to the wheel/rim size, that you will have to go with new wheels. I've got a Sixer and REALLY like the look of my 16" wheels...want to keep them...but I also want a wider tire (at least a 235). Is there any formula or rule you know about that dictates when I would have to go to a different wheel size? The OEMs on the V6 are 215/65. Any help is appreciated...
Otto,

I believe you have the 16”x7” rims and with those 215/65-16 you should have an overall diameter of 27.0” and 8.46" wide tread. Overall Diameter = Rim Diameter + (2 x Section Height)

A 235/60-16 should give you a .79” wider tire and only decrease your height by .10”. If you want even wider, a 255/55-16 should give you a 1.57” wider tread and only reduce the height by .04”

I attached a few other options but depending on your walet I think these two are your best options with those rims.

I recommend you consult a professional tire installer regarding your options, including safety and load rating before you make a monetary commitment.

Hope this helps you.

Billy

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
Steven/BillyB: You guys are mah main playahs! Great info and reference...muchas on the gracias!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.