Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i wanna know what the best true dual exhaust for a V6 and by the best is sound like a V8, but do i have to remove the factory cats or can i leave them

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
no exhaust that you put on a v6 can sound like a v8.. for the best sound i suggest you search youtube.. there are tons of them

·
Registered
144 Posts
ya like markstang said no exhaust setup will get it sounds like a v8 although i have seen one at my shop and it has a set of flowmaster 44 divorced and it sounds really good i had to pop the hood to see what engine it had

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
In my opinion, the best exhaust system for a v6 is

Longtube headers, with divorced dual flowmaster 44 series mufflers and straight tailpipes out the back. 2.5" pipe front to back, with a 3.5" tip that has the honeycomb to just give that little extra bit of muscle-like sound. :yelpleased:

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
YouTube - ‪Mustang V6 flowmaster exhaust‬‏

Pacesetter long tubes, aftermarket high flow cats, pypes x-pipe, and flowmaster 40's knock-offs (made exactly the same on the inside)

Sounds great at idle nice rumble, the V6 shows at about 2800rpm's (thanks to the x-pipe) but after 3200rpm's it mellows out and has a wonderful tone if you get an h-pipe there is no rasp with the rest of the setup but it will not be a V8 sound, however a heck of a lot better than the usual V6

·
Registered
132 Posts
YouTube - ‪Mustang V6 flowmaster exhaust‬‏

Pacesetter long tubes, aftermarket high flow cats, pypes x-pipe, and flowmaster 40's knock-offs (made exactly the same on the inside)

Sounds great at idle nice rumble, the V6 shows at about 2800rpm's (thanks to the x-pipe) but after 3200rpm's it mellows out and has a wonderful tone if you get an h-pipe there is no rasp with the rest of the setup but it will not be a V8 sound, however a heck of a lot better than the usual V6
Why put on an X or H pipe?? They usually make it raspier.. and high flow cats will DEFINITELY make it raspy. Get better aftermarket cats, just not high flows. Divorced duals have a straight up mellow sound like v8's.. but it's just not as nice as a v8.

Still, v6's can come pretty close.. if you set it up right.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Why put on an X or H pipe?? They usually make it raspier.. and high flow cats will DEFINITELY make it raspy. Get better aftermarket cats, just not high flows. Divorced duals have a straight up mellow sound like v8's.. but it's just not as nice as a v8.

Still, v6's can come pretty close.. if you set it up right.
They are not super high flow cats like the pypes ones I had, these are a tad more restrictive, yes everyone knows cats make a big difference, but i would rather have better performance than sound (reason I still have x-pipe)

Order of rasp
X raspy
Divorced not hardly raspy
H none...

Been around the block long enough to know the difference.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
They are not super high flow cats like the pypes ones I had, these are a tad more restrictive, yes everyone knows cats make a big difference, but i would rather have better performance than sound (reason I still have x-pipe)

Order of rasp
X raspy
Divorced not hardly raspy
H none...

Been around the block long enough to know the difference.....
Last time I checked, X pipes hardly make a performance difference on a v6. I know they do on a v8 because a v8 is not an even firing engine. The v6 is. Hence not needing them for anything other then noise.

I don't mind H pipes, but I just think they're pointless on v6's. That is just my opinion, im not trying to put your opinion down or anything.

And you do have a point, I wasn't too specific on my post, some higher flow cats can be restrictive enough..

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
1-2 hp, Even on the V6 which is even fire scavenging helps

Oh and no disrespect taken, everyone has their own opinion

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im sorry guys but what does divorced mean?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
It means the pipes come straight from the headers or cats which ever direction you choose to go, back to the mufflers, there is no connection between the pipes at all, each side of the motor has it's own individual pipe all the way back

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright i know what you mean now , im gonna get divorced dual straight pipes, sounds good?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
straight pipes as in no mufflers? no, bad idea

·
Registered
3,775 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my bad im so new divorced duals with 44's, sound better?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so then divorced duals with 40 series

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Either 40 or 44 will be fine, look on YouTube and decide what you like better, some say there is a difference but I can hardly hear any

1 - 19 of 19 Posts