Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the forum.

I have a '03 3.8l V6 'stang and also a stereotypical college student with limited money.

I'm aware the 'smart' thing to do would be to wait until I could afford the full exhaust that would make me happy.

However, I'm very much considering jerry-rigging a full exhaust so Instead of buying a system for $500-700 I can manage it for $240. I already removed the muffler and passing inspecting isn't an issue. So, I was just going to have a shop chop off the pipe right at each cat, and instead of having it converge into a Y-pipe have it come straight out through the end onto some 2.5'' tips. (Pic to show off my MS paint skills)

My question is what am I to expect in the HP range? More specifically, am I losing out on gains against actually buying a full exhaust? I'm aware I'm not going to be pulling 20 extra HP, but I'm unsure of the specifics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Coming from someone who did the same exact thing when I was in high school, don't do it. It sounds like butthole and there aren't any noticeable power gains to be had.

Reactions: 6stang02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coming from someone who did the same exact thing when I was in high school, don't do it. It sounds like butthole and there aren't any noticeable power gains to be had.
Well, I'm not too concerned about sound. I already have no muffler, so expanding it to two pipes doing the same thing shouldn't change the sound any, right? (Besides maybe making it a little louder?)

As for power, I'm aware it won't be anything too significant, but removing the Y-bottleneck should add, like what, maybe 10HP to the crank?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You most likely will not gain any hp at all just by extending pipes. The sad fact that this ******* dual exhaust does not do anything at all besides add weight. Adding an h pipe or( most preferably) an x pipe and mufflers will actually add hp gain due to balancing out both sides of the exhaust. This infact causes a great inomily called scavenging if it is done right. If the mid pipe is set up correctly, same as if a header was installed, it has the potential to draw in a bigger fresh air/fuel package due to the differential from the lack of air caused by the last cylinder dumping its expended fuel package through the exhaust.

Imho like i told the last guy.... get a real exhaust. Trust me everyone will appreciate it including your motor. When i did it(4 years ago) i did not notice the power i lost and the unpleasent looks that i got from others. Then i bought an custom made exhaust for my car and boy i tell you what, it made the difference. I spent $703ish out the door but i got an amazing system which sounds phenomenal compared to the turds that were coming out from the dumped exhaust. And then my cam brought it all together. I love my sound but i did change my exhaust like 3 times so practice makes perfect.

Here is just a small dyno run (an idiot making the pass i tell you...)

https://youtu.be/4JzYAyWDxCE

But in the end this car is yours and how you decide to run your exhaust is your choice but dont expect to be out running anything besides a prius anytime soon. My average was about 190rwhp and 210rwtq with my added cam and intake swap. These cars are just hard to keep them in one piece and build power. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You most likely will not gain any hp at all just by extending pipes. The sad fact that this ******* dual exhaust does not do anything at all besides add weight. Adding an h pipe or( most preferably) an x pipe and mufflers will actually add hp gain due to balancing out both sides of the exhaust. This infact causes a great inomily called scavenging if it is done right. If the mid pipe is set up correctly, same as if a header was installed, it has the potential to draw in a bigger fresh air/fuel package due to the differential from the lack of air caused by the last cylinder dumping its expended fuel package through the exhaust.

Imho like i told the last guy.... get a real exhaust. Trust me everyone will appreciate it including your motor. When i did it(4 years ago) i did not notice the power i lost and the unpleasent looks that i got from others. Then i bought an custom made exhaust for my car and boy i tell you what, it made the difference. I spent $703ish out the door but i got an amazing system which sounds phenomenal compared to the turds that were coming out from the dumped exhaust. And then my cam brought it all together. I love my sound but i did change my exhaust like 3 times so practice makes perfect.

Here is just a small dyno run (an idiot making the pass i tell you...)

https://youtu.be/4JzYAyWDxCE

But in the end this car is yours and how you decide to run your exhaust is your choice but dont expect to be out running anything besides a prius anytime soon. My average was about 190rwhp and 210rwtq with my added cam and intake swap. These cars are just hard to keep them in one piece and build power. Good luck.
Well, thank you for explaining that. I was under the impression that at least eliminating the restrictive Y-pipe would help, but if not then there isn't any point. I'll probably end up just waiting a little longer and getting a hand-held tuner now and get the exhaust down the road. (The only sad part is I'll be going down that road with 154 RWHP)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts