Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get this hood but am getting a little nervous about it. I am hearing prep and paint costs anywhere between $350 to $2000. This really concerns me. The one I had talked to with the $2000 said the hood had some warp problems along with the normal pin holes. Has anyone else had these kinds of issues? Please put me at ease because I really want this hood.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Both estimates are on the extreme and should not be believed. You're getting either a bad job or taken advantage of. A really bad hood could cost you $2,000 to have done properly. But frankly a hood that bad should have been spotted as soon as you unpacked it and immediately returned. Do already have the hood? I had mine delivered right to the shop that was going to do the work. It was cheaper and they could inspect it upon delivery.

I recommend you choose a shop that is near you. When the hood is delivered (you get a tracking number) go there and inspect the hood with the body guy. Have him either accept or reject the hood. Then get him to give you a price to fit and finish the hood. He should be able to tell once he sees the condition of the hood. There may still be some minor variance in price so be reasonable. But not the swing you're quoting. My hood was done for $750. That included blending into the fenders. Even $1,000 would have been acceptable to me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that eases my mind. I am going to get the Ford dealer to do it. THe only bad thing is they are 50 miles away but I should be able to track it close enough to be able to be there I expect. Over the phone and without the hood the dealer told me $775 plus tax as an estimate without seeing hood. So that did not seem bad to me.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
That sounds reasonable. Be flexible if things are not perfect and the cost goes up a little. Did he tell you how long? If he's just doing the hood then it may be just a half day since he can do it without your car and just needs time to swap hoods when done. You need a way to get your stock hood home. Can't strap that on your car. Need a pickup truck or something. Too expensive to ship to your home.

You also won't be able to use hood struts with a fiberglass hood. There are some clever hood props out there, but hood struts will bow the hood when closed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. I already started thinking about how I am going to get it home. If it was close I could ask a friend but I may have to rent a pickup to get it home. I will see. He didn't say how long. I will be going to the shop to discuss further when I get some time. Also, I hear people leave the hood out in the sun for a day or so. Something about the gel coat? Do you know anything about that? Just want to make sure it is done right.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
No I never heard that. The surface will need to be scuffed and possibly filled in spots if there are small depressions in order to get a smooth, level, paintable surface. Imperfections are really obvious once the surfact is painted because of the gloss. I know if it's too hot and humid the painter may hold off. That happened to me. He was delayed a week because of heat and humidity. If your shop is climate controlled then this won't be an issue.

Post pics when it's all done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.