Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - I've had my 2011 Mustang GT for over a year now and I'm ready to make some modifications to increase horsepower. At the moment everything on the vehicle is stock. After looking around on the internet the most common modifications seem to be changing the exhaust, adding a cold air intake, and getting a performance chip and tuner. I am looking on some advice on where to start and what the best parts are for the job. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know Sct would be a good tuner for you, but a good tune with a Cai makes a very noticable difference. In my best friends 5.0 just a cai and tune was quite noticable. Seems ford left a lot on the table with the new 5.0.

·
Registered
234 Posts
CAI and a tune are the easiest ways to ADD horsepower.

A good exhaust won't ADD any HP, but may help liberate a few ponies from your flywheel to your rear wheels (plus you get better exhaust sound!!)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Welcome to the board. The search feature works great for these types of general questions. Just use the Advanced Search option and search for titles only.

In my opinion, if I had it to do over again, I would not have gone with a tune until my factory warranty was up. Bama offers their awesome warranty so if you do go with a tune go with Bama :bigthumbsup

The reason I would wait, if I were you, is because once you tune the dealership will know it and they will generally give you a hard time from that point on since they know they have you at a disadvantage.

For warranty-friendly stuff, you could do axle-backs and a non-tune CAI. Maybe even 3.73 gears (which will void your rear diff warranty unless you have a dealer do it).

Net/Net, unless you're really wanting to take your car to the track, I would keep your motor stock to protect your powertrain warranty.

I'm sure many will disagree, but just my .02

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hello The Shocker,

What are you using your car for? How much HP are you looking to increase it with? With HP comes suspension and other upgrades.

If you are looking for a gain of 50 HP then a CAI/Tune and Boss Intake is a very effective way to go. Put a nice exhaust on their and you will definitely get noticed. PM with what your goals are and I can provide you with some different options that will fit your goals/needs.

Thank You

TJ

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Welcome to the board. The search feature works great for these types of general questions. Just use the Advanced Search option and search for titles only.

In my opinion, if I had it to do over again, I would not have gone with a tune until my factory warranty was up. Bama offers their awesome warranty so if you do go with a tune go with Bama :bigthumbsup

The reason I would wait, if I were you, is because once you tune the dealership will know it and they will generally give you a hard time from that point on since they know they have you at a disadvantage.

For warranty-friendly stuff, you could do axle-backs and a non-tune CAI. Maybe even 3.73 gears (which will void your rear diff warranty unless you have a dealer do it).

Net/Net, unless you're really wanting to take your car to the track, I would keep your motor stock to protect your powertrain warranty.

I'm sure many will disagree, but just my .02
The voice of reason.

Pete

·
Registered
139 Posts
IMO the FRPP power pack is the way to go if you definitely want more response from the stock setup and are worried about the warranty from Ford. Read the thread about the FRPP tune and the ping. I had mine installed and have had no problems or ping. I do run 93 octane. (16hp and 60 lb/ft torque with tune)
If warranty is not an issue I would go with the CAI, SCT tuner and axlebacks from AM. There is a warranty but not through Ford. They have proven dyno runs of 31 HP gains. Like 12GTPDX said the exhaust will not add anything but it sure does sound good.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Like 12GTPDX said the exhaust will not add anything but it sure does sound good.
Let's clarify that a little, axle-back exhaust won't add any power, but long tube headers and complete exhaust swap will add power, along with more noise, etc etc etc. The investment for a full exhaust swap IMO is not worth it on an otherwise stock car.

·
Registered
470 Posts
LT's + catted H pipe + Boss Intake + CAI + Dyno tuned = 70RWHP increase for me :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just remember, all the way through 2nd that extra power will just make you slide until you slap some wider rims/tires on the back. :winks

·
Registered
186 Posts
IMO the FRPP power pack is the way to go if you definitely want more response from the stock setup and are worried about the warranty from Ford...
I've been looking into Warranted tuning since my local Ford dealer are A-holes. FRPP warranty is the exact same as Bama's 3/36,000 of the original new car. So you roll over 36,001 and you are SOL on the warranty department from both FRPP and Bama. Leave the car stock and you have a 5/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

That being said both FRPP and Bama seem to have many, many happy customers who would not think twice.

If you want to go all the way Edelbrock e-force can be installed and they will warranty you (for a cost) all the way up to 5/60,000. They are the only company that will protect you from install until your standard powertrain warranty is done. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
If concerned about warranty I would go with the Ford Racing tune (in fact I've just ordered it a few days ago), spoke to a Ford Racing rep and the 5/60,000 mile powertrain warranty still applys.
Ford support this tune, I had Deysha confirm this not long ago.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If concerned about warranty I would go with the Ford Racing tune (in fact I've just ordered it a few days ago), spoke to a Ford Racing rep and the 5/60,000 mile powertrain warranty still applys.
Man I am there. Show me the paper where Ford says it will warranty a vehicle tuned with the FRPP Procal for 5/60,000.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My service manager confirmed this. I was torn between FRPP and the Bama tune. The service manager told me that if anything goes wrong with the FRPP tune that they felt caused the power train problem they would work with Ford Racing to correct. If I had the Bama tune it would be up to me to contact AM to have the fix completed at no cost. He also stated that if I had the Ford Racing tune on the car for 36,000 miles and had a power train issue after with no evidence of racing the dealership would correct the problem. (This implys just tune, K&N filter and axlebacks, no other mods)

So I would say talk to the dealership to find out their take on the warranty.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a dealer that is very supportive of mods. In fact, they even make suggestions on what I should do. Of course, having them do the install helps, but they are reasonable. I've had no issues with getting service done on the car, despite the mods, including a custom tune.

F

·
0 Posts
Man I am there. Show me the paper where Ford says it will warranty a vehicle tuned with the FRPP Procal for 5/60,000.
Hey guys,

Aftermarket parts will not automatically void any of your warranties. However, if they cause a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your Warranty Guide on page 13 for further info. I recommend you speak to your Ford dealer before installing any aftermarket parts on your vehicle. Also, check out FRPP and their warranty info.

Deysha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts