Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am trying to bleed the drum brakes on my 1966 ford mustang but am having problems loosening the bleeder valve. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
soak them well with a good penatrant,then use a 6 point socket to try to loosen them,a little back and forth motion may do it.if it turns out they are so rusty they will not move,i suggest just buy new ones.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Mine rounded off, they were really rusted in bad. I just replaced the whole wheel cylinder, it was only like 10 bucks, and if you do that, then you know the assembly is new including the seals. But yeah if you don't do that, listen to what Heavy Metal said and use a 6 point socket not a 12 point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
brake nipples

Had this prob recently, had drowned them in anti-seize and also used 6 sided ring spanner.

Still rounded off, ened up having to get them out using 'mole grips' and replacing the bled nipples.

There is an article here ;

How to bleed car brakes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of these replies, it seems that my dad was under there trying to loosen the bleed screw and it is now rounded out. I will try the mole grips to remove them entirely and replace them.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I had both back bleeders loosen right up, without incident.

One front snapped off, so as others have said, I just replaced the pair. Very inexpensive, and a good excuse to throw on a new pair of brake hoses while you're at it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already purchased the new brake lines and will install them before doing the bleeding. I purchased the mole grips and will try removing the bleed valves off tonight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.