Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased an early build 2011 Mustang GT, 6MT. I have been experiencing what I thought was an exhaust leak, at least it sounded similar with the window down. The car still has a couple of months left on the power-train warranty and of course when I take it in a week ago and tell them the problem, what happens. "Everything looks good and we didn't find any problems."

The noise only seems to happen when the car is warmed up to operating temp. I can't seem to detect the noise at idle but it could be it's not loud enough. Seems to be most audible under load, when you are first moving through gears between 800-2000 RPM. Doesn't seem to make the noise just revving the motor, but only once in motion.

After searching, it doesn't seem to be the "igniter tick" like many have described but I was wondering if anyone has had the TSB 12-8-14, 12-3-1 or 11-9-15 done and it solved this problem. I just would like some advice from people who have experience it and had it fixed.

Please watch this video from my GoPro and you can clearly hear the tick.
https://youtu.be/WI6oyOenv6A

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased an early build 2011 Mustang GT, 6MT. I have been experiencing what I thought was an exhaust leak, at least it sounded similar with the window down. The car still has a couple of months left on the power-train warranty and of course when I take it in a week ago and tell them the problem, what happens. "Everything looks good and we didn't find any problems."

The noise only seems to happen when the car is warmed up to operating temp. I can't seem to detect the noise at idle but it could be it's not loud enough. Seems to be most audible under load, when you are first moving through gears between 800-2000 RPM. Doesn't seem to make the noise just revving the motor, but only once in motion.

After searching, it doesn't seem to be the "igniter tick" like many have described but I was wondering if anyone has had the TSB 12-8-14, 12-3-1 or 11-9-15 done and it solved this problem. I just would like some advice from people who have experience it and had it fixed.

Please watch this video from my GoPro and you can clearly hear the tick.
https://youtu.be/WI6oyOenv6A

It sounds like a bbq igniter, maybe is has to do with a loose spark plug. It sounded like suspension at first but its not. It doesnt sound like exhaust either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The main reason I thought it was exhaust at first was in fact how I noticed the noise. Riding with the window down and going through a neighborhood I could hear a faint noise, very faint. I noticed it was louder as I got closer to buildings so the sound could bounce off.

When I took the video with GoPro I could really hear it and knew it no longer sounded like an exhaust leak. There are a couple of videos on youtube that have a similar sound but it is rare that someone posts a response to say what fixed the problem. I have heard some people say the TSB fixed it (dealing with timing chain tensioners and AC belt) but others have said Ford claimed a bad bearing.

I would like anyone's opinion on this because the dealership I bought it from is oblivious. The worst thing I can hear from them is that it's "normal" or it's just the injectors clicking. Last week when I brought it in and explained the problem (no video evidence) all they did was jack it up and look under it for about 10 minutes, then put it back down and guy went to work on a focus for another 45 minutes. Then comes back and says everything is fine and doesn't notice any noise.

·
Super Moderator
2,373 Posts
I would take it to another Ford Dealer too see what they say,also what weight oil is in the car,I have a 2011 GT also, and only use 5W30 Mobil 1 no ticks or noises,good luck to you & keep us posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would take it to another Ford Dealer too see what they say,also what weight oil is in the car,I have a 2011 GT also, and only use 5W30 Mobil 1 no ticks or noises,good luck to you & keep us posted.

The car had very good service records with all oil changes done at the right times and by the same dealer in which the car was purchased brand new. Going on that, I assume its had 5W-20 like the cap states its whole life.

Also, I know it's a long shot but I live in Greenville NC. Does anyone of a good Ford dealer to take my car to that will solve the problem, since I only have 2 more months of power-train warranty? Car was built in 5/2010 and bought or put into service in 8/2010.

·
Super Moderator
2,373 Posts
I would contact Deysha, our Ford Customer Service Rep on this site,she has helped out many of us including myself,she is a very nice lady,see what her thoughts are on tis matter as your time of warranty is running down,keep us posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an appointment tomorrow to take it to the dealer and get it diagnosed with all the evidence and a write up sheet detailing the problem. I am going to present them with the write up sheet and also with the video I took with my GoPro. Hard to deny it when I can show clear proof on video.

You never hear a noise if you ride with the windows up, AC and radio on. You can only hear it with the windows down, and to me that is one of the great pleasures of driving a mustang with aftermarket axle-back exhaust.

Anyone want to wager I will get a classic response tomorrow of "oh that's normal" or "everything looks good"? I will post back what they have to say.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I have an appointment tomorrow to take it to the dealer and get it diagnosed with all the evidence and a write up sheet detailing the problem. I am going to present them with the write up sheet and also with the video I took with my GoPro. Hard to deny it when I can show clear proof on video.

You never hear a noise if you ride with the windows up, AC and radio on. You can only hear it with the windows down, and to me that is one of the great pleasures of driving a mustang with aftermarket axle-back exhaust.

Anyone want to wager I will get a classic response tomorrow of "oh that's normal" or "everything looks good"? I will post back what they have to say.
or the i dont hear anything or i cannot replicate the issue..

i dont think its a bearing because the noise stays the same. It doesnt seem to slow down or anything. i really doubt its an exhaust leak but it could still be exhaust related as in somethings loose. Does it happen in park, neutral or only when driving? see if you can rule some easy things out. Such as if it does it in park then its not suspension related. if it does it in drive but not park then its not exhaust related. Drive but not park it could be transmission.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's definitely the "bbq ignitor" tick. It doesn't sound that bad, but mine did the same thing after the dealer changed the oil. It's a slight ticking/tapping between 1k-2k RPM every time you accelerate from a dead stop.

Honestly no one has ever been able to pin point what it is. Some people take their cars in and they do a tear down and find that there is scoring on one or more of the cylinder walls or the bearings are bad and their are metal flakes in the oil filter. Other times it just goes away within 1k miles after an oil change, and then it comes back with the next oil change for another 1k miles.

Me personally, I'm doing an oil analysis in a few weeks to see what's going on and if it comes back good then I'm not going to worry about it. I have warranty but don't want Ford to tear the block down and then say nothing is wrong or have warranty denied because it's "normal." Anyway good luck!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's definitely the "bbq ignitor" tick. It doesn't sound that bad, but mine did the same thing after the dealer changed the oil. It's a slight ticking/tapping between 1k-2k RPM every time you accelerate from a dead stop.

Honestly no one has ever been able to pin point what it is. Some people take their cars in and they do a tear down and find that there is scoring on one or more of the cylinder walls or the bearings are bad and their are metal flakes in the oil filter. Other times it just goes away within 1k miles after an oil change, and then it comes back with the next oil change for another 1k miles.

Me personally, I'm doing an oil analysis in a few weeks to see what's going on and if it comes back good then I'm not going to worry about it. I have warranty but don't want Ford to tear the block down and then say nothing is wrong or have warranty denied because it's "normal." Anyway good luck!!
It's truly hard to believe that after this amount of time no one can figure this tick out. I mean seriously, do all the people at Ford and other mechanics just throw their hands up and say "I don't know, we can't diagnose it."

I love this car but the ticking makes it sound like a $500 motor in a $20k car. I will take it to the dealership while it's still under warranty and see what they say, but under no circumstance do I believe this tick, no matter how many occurrences, is normal. The problem may be common place but shouldn't be considered normal because noises like this shouldn't be heard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, spent part of the afternoon at the dealership. I took all my information, TSB printouts and my write-up sheet with a very detailed description of the problem and when it occurs. Also, I met with the shop foreman who I was told is very knowledgeable with the 5.0 engine and I showed him the video I took with my GoPro. He listened and acknowledged the noise and proceeded to take the TSB's I had printed out and went back to the car for about another 45 minutes to an hour. After that, one of the service advisers came to me and told me that the shop foreman had ordered the parts that go with the TSB relating to the timing chain tensioners. He then told me to bring the car back on Monday and they are going to set me up with a rental for a couple of days to do the repair and make sure it is fixed.

While this is better than hearing "we couldn't find anything, everything seems normal," I am still not going to count my chickens before they hatch and start praising the dealership for their good work. If I could give anyone a piece of advice when dealing with something like this, take a video if you have a camera and present it to the person working on the car or the shop foreman. Have them verbally tell you they hear the problem. Of course you can do the same by demanding the technician ride with you while you try to reproduce it, but sometimes dealers and pressed for time and some just don't want to do that and only look at the car once it's back in the garage and you are in the waiting area.

If I get the car back sometime late next week and the problem is gone, I will definitely say my GoPro has paid for itself.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Well, spent part of the afternoon at the dealership. I took all my information, TSB printouts and my write-up sheet with a very detailed description of the problem and when it occurs. Also, I met with the shop foreman who I was told is very knowledgeable with the 5.0 engine and I showed him the video I took with my GoPro. He listened and acknowledged the noise and proceeded to take the TSB's I had printed out and went back to the car for about another 45 minutes to an hour. After that, one of the service advisers came to me and told me that the shop foreman had ordered the parts that go with the TSB relating to the timing chain tensioners. He then told me to bring the car back on Monday and they are going to set me up with a rental for a couple of days to do the repair and make sure it is fixed.

While this is better than hearing "we couldn't find anything, everything seems normal," I am still not going to count my chickens before they hatch and start praising the dealership for their good work. If I could give anyone a piece of advice when dealing with something like this, take a video if you have a camera and present it to the person working on the car or the shop foreman. Have them verbally tell you they hear the problem. Of course you can do the same by demanding the technician ride with you while you try to reproduce it, but sometimes dealers and pressed for time and some just don't want to do that and only look at the car once it's back in the garage and you are in the waiting area.

If I get the car back sometime late next week and the problem is gone, I will definitely say my GoPro has paid for itself.
I wish you luck. I hav the same issue on mine since around 5500 miles or so, I have been to 2 dealers for this and nothing has been done as of yet. I have over 70,000 miles on mine and I can say that it comes and goes with oil changes still, and doesn't seem to effect performance in any way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish you luck. I hav the same issue on mine since around 5500 miles or so, I have been to 2 dealers for this and nothing has been done as of yet. I have over 70,000 miles on mine and I can say that it comes and goes with oil changes still, and doesn't seem to effect performance in any way.

Have you had either of the two dealerships diagnose or do any repair work to try to fix it? Have you had any of the TSB's done for the lower end tick?

If no, it seems amazing that dealers can't diagnose this. The reason I say this is because, yes, there doesn't seem to be an immediate effect on performance, but a noise such as this cannot be good coming from any car. That noise is the product of something hitting something else, and eventually, something may break. You may not see a degradation of power or performance, but it may be like a sudden catastrophic failure of the component.

Even if Ford dealers don't really want to find out the cause if the car is running ok, there isn't some other shop out there that has worked on the clicking and tapping 5.0 to find the root of the problem?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have you had either of the two dealerships diagnose or do any repair work to try to fix it? Have you had any of the TSB's done for the lower end tick?

If no, it seems amazing that dealers can't diagnose this. The reason I say this is because, yes, there doesn't seem to be an immediate effect on performance, but a noise such as this cannot be good coming from any car. That noise is the product of something hitting something else, and eventually, something may break. You may not see a degradation of power or performance, but it may be like a sudden catastrophic failure of the component.

Even if Ford dealers don't really want to find out the cause if the car is running ok, there isn't some other shop out there that has worked on the clicking and tapping 5.0 to find the root of the problem?
I have a two month old long block replaced for scoring on cylinder walls and cam towers in old engine. Old one had the tick really badly. New one developed the tick after first oil change.

I wouldn't call it normal, but maybe it really is characteristic of the vehicle. One person claimed using 5w30 made the ticking go away. Not sure if it will or not, but 500 miles on the oil it's still relatively pronounced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a two month old long block replaced for scoring on cylinder walls and cam towers in old engine. Old one had the tick really badly. New one developed the tick after first oil change.

I wouldn't call it normal, but maybe it really is characteristic of the vehicle. One person claimed using 5w30 made the ticking go away. Not sure if it will or not, but 500 miles on the oil it's still relatively pronounced.

That sucks. I know it's probably been gone over and over but not all of them do this do they? Do the 2015's make this ticking after the first oil change? And if not what is the difference? Has Ford magically figured out the ticking problem and just tried to phase it out with improvements instead of addressing the issue?

I have also heard of some people using the Restore stuff and it made the tick go away. I have always stayed away from additives like that but can it really work? I also have heard it is bad to add that stuff to variable cam timing engines.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That sucks. I know it's probably been gone over and over but not all of them do this do they? Do the 2015's make this ticking after the first oil change? And if not what is the difference? Has Ford magically figured out the ticking problem and just tried to phase it out with improvements instead of addressing the issue?

I have also heard of some people using the Restore stuff and it made the tick go away. I have always stayed away from additives like that but can it really work? I also have heard it is bad to add that stuff to variable cam timing engines.
Honestly it makes you wonder if not all of them do this. There are different noises the coyote makes. The new long block does not do the snapping at idle that the old one did. Perhaps that noise is the most suggestive of damage? A lot of people have high mileage on these with the noise and claim it isn't a problem. Maybe save for those that have discoverable damage, it isn't.

You imagine in a few years that people are going to find out what the problem is. No one has the time and money to dissect an engine that purportedly doesn't make the noise, and one that does. I have not heard of any 2015's making the same noises that these do, but I have seen one or two that needed replacement for knocking noises that manifested after oil changes. And I have seen one person mention in the comments on a youtube video about using v8 restorer that the tick went away, but you figure the risk is so high you can't do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just received a call from the dealership that they made the repair and the shop foreman drove it around and they said it is fixed. They told me it is ready to be picked up. Due to it not being within an hour drive of me I have to wait and get off of work early tomorrow to go pick it up.

I have my doubts but that just comes from other cars and dealers saying "oh yeah, its fixed" and the problem is still there. VW was terrible about denial of the problems with the DSG transmission. I will update once I get the car back and test it for myself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just received a call from the dealership that they made the repair and the shop foreman drove it around and they said it is fixed. They told me it is ready to be picked up. Due to it not being within an hour drive of me I have to wait and get off of work early tomorrow to go pick it up.

I have my doubts but that just comes from other cars and dealers saying "oh yeah, its fixed" and the problem is still there. VW was terrible about denial of the problems with the DSG transmission. I will update once I get the car back and test it for myself.
Which repair did they do again?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I took the car in to be diagnosed I gave them a detailed write-up sheet of the problem, that video with my GoPro and the following TSB's:

#11-9-15
#12-3-1
#12-8-14

I am honestly not sure which one they went by as all I was told was that the parts had been ordered and to bring my car back on Monday to start the repair. When I pick the car up this afternoon I will post back with exactly which repair/TSB they followed and if the problem is in fact gone or still there (as I suspect). I really hate being a pessimist.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got the car back home and I really don't believe the TSB fixed the problem. I thought I could hear the ticking when driving by cars at low RPM but when I arrived home I tried to move forward in 1st and then back in reverse but could not hear it. I will have to drive it more to tell if it did anything at all but waste my time.

The TSB that was done was #12-3-01

1 - 20 of 28 Posts