Ford Mustang Forum banner

41 - 60 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I wonder when they release this for the 3.7 if they will say that putting in higher than 87 octane gas also voids the warranty? :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Have they ever done anything exactly like this for any other Mustang? Like the 4.6L V8? Did it have the same problem/TSB?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
The 4.6 3v did not have this problem. I will have a X3 tuner for sale. If you have a K&N drop in
you're in trouble because that's listed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So much overreaction going on here. You're not going to get warranty denied if you disconnected the battery. You're only going to get a P1000 code if you flashed the ECU from tune to stock and then immediately try to have the dealer fix your broken engine that was caused by a crappy tune.

Regarding exhaust/air intake/air filter mods - this is the oldest trick in the book. Refer to Magnussen Moss act if the dealer tries to deny you warranty work if you're having problems. It's on them to prove the mod caused the problem. In any event, you're not going to lean out the a/f ratio to any harmful level with just a K&N drop in or axle back exhaust. If your engine blows with just these mods, there was something else wrong to begin with.

By the way, you can thank all the asshats that loaded mail order tunes and proceeded to blow up their engines, then going back to stock and denying any knowledge of what happened. Ford spends millions of dollars developing powertrains and then we all try to get more power out of it but don't want to pay for the consequences? Sorry, but I'm on Ford's side here.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I think I'll be stopping with powertrain mods after my cat-back and eventual CAI.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
"Must eliminate carbon units infesting V'ger..."

"Resistance is futile..."

"We are legion..."

"All hail der Fuhrer!"

Outa my way boys! I'm a U.S. citizen who fought for my country's few remaining freedoms, and I'm modding my baby and putting the hammer down! You can't jail me for modding my pony yet!!! :cooldude:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
alot of people are over reacting in this thread i think..

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Speaking of over-reacting...at least you guys in the US have that Magnuson-Moss Act. Us Canucks have nothing! I'm amazed dealerships here don't void the warranty just for turning on the ignition :shigrin

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Realistically, I see no reason to panic over this bulletin. All I read on it is "could, might, possibly, has been known to, etc." Nothing on the bulletin point-blank says your warranty is automatically voided for using these parts (unless I've overlooked it). Instead, it suggests that these mod's are the prime suspects. It does state that the modifications will have to be shown to have caused the failure, based upon printouts from diagnostic tools.

But...if you want to play it safe, there's nothing wrong with that. 412 factory horses is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I only have 4 more years to sweat and shed tears anyway. Then it's 100% MY baby to shred with wild hi-po mod's!!!

I'm sure I'll keep moddin her before then anyway.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
This does make me nervous, but then again I run a Bama tune and from what I have read they leave the knock sensor sensitivity at the stock value. I guess they USED to mess with it, but they don't anymore.

I'm at a cross. Do I stick my cats back on and sell my CAI/TUNE/ORX so I have a warranty? or am I already screwed because Ford will be able to tell I already flashed my PCM?

FRICK!!!

You know guys, I really want to love this car and think it's a 200K+ mile Mustang, but I don't see it. The drive line in these 5.0's just seems much too fragile. The 3v 4.6 never had any issues like this as far as I know.

At any rate, I am heading to the track tonight with said mods. If I blow her up you guys will know because I'll be the first one on here bitching about it!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
This does make me nervous, but then again I run a Bama tune and from what I have read they leave the knock sensor sensitivity at the stock value. I guess they USED to mess with it, but they don't anymore.

I'm at a cross. Do I stick my cats back on and sell my CAI/TUNE/ORX so I have a warranty? or am I already screwed because Ford will be able to tell I already flashed my PCM?

FRICK!!!

You know guys, I really want to love this car and think it's a 200K+ mile Mustang, but I don't see it. The drive line in these 5.0's just seems much too fragile. The 3v 4.6 never had any issues like this as far as I know.

At any rate, I am heading to the track tonight with said mods. If I blow her up you guys will know because I'll be the first one on here bitching about it!!!
Won't hurt to put a lil torco in her.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Riddle me this....

Let's say you put the car back to stock along with the stock re-flash. If you bring the car to the dealer to have the re-flash fix for the OLM put in the PCM, would this reset the checksum that allows the dealer to see wether or not you installed an after market tune?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Oh well, if they void your warranty then there's always insurance!!
QFT...I haven't wrecked a car in 15 years, but the black ice here in Florda can get pretty mean...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I too side with Ford on this. I agree tat a tune should not void the warranty if your radio goes out, but I think an engine / driveline issue would be examined. As said before, their testing and reliability studies were based on stock configurations any changes to those parameters impact the bottom line.

With the nature of the Mustang, maybe they should consider selling one without a driveline warranty for those that want to mod. That will likely never happen because they would be essentially identifying how much work they expect to have to pay for on average for driveline repairs. Probably not something they want to make public.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Ford has certainly fired a shot over the bawl (sp?) here. The folks at JLT, American Muscle, etc. should be the most pissed.

But anyone thinking that an axle-back system will void the warranty is on crack. If a dealer told me that, I would never go back. They might as well tell me aftermarket windshield wipers will void the tire warranty.

My dealer POC is a stickler, and he has warned me about things that "void" the warranty -- he's even told me a few stories about cars he's sent packing. But, he's the first to say Roush axle-backs sound good and won't affect the warranty.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
yeah mkpony that would be nice if they had an option to reject warranty and have like a 2 or 3 thousand dollar discount of the car. I would sign up for that in a heart beat. because my warranty would be voided on the first visit anyways.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's not axlebacks that they are referring to for exhaust mods, but headers and OR pipes that affect emissions.

·
Registered
579 Posts
That TSB has alot of Grey Area's on it even after I heard about the tune semi issues and the #8 cylinder BS I knew I was going to have to rethink how I was going to improve performance with out adding modifications draw the newfound attention of Ford.

so I'm going to look ways to shed weight and make my pony work less I live less then 5 miles from work and have only put 2400 on the car in 4 months with a trip up to LA from San Diego so I don't drive it a whole lot.

I think Ford knows they had a faulty run of our cars due to the tranny issues and other items we've seen and experienced. Ford knows they can save money due to the drivers wanting to upgrade their cars. I could see if we had no threads of 300+ with problems and everything was golden most people would care less and there would be no TSB due to there not being a vast amount of warranty work.

If the car doesn't loose it's value I'm giving serious thought to selling it ASAP. :wavey

41 - 60 of 159 Posts