Ford Mustang Forum banner

121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I don't think wide spread panic and paranoia will do much relax. In the real world, modifications with the potential to cause serious damage, will be taken seriously . I think dealerships will use some discretion when cars are brought in for warranty work. For, example: muffler changes, CAI's etc, are an entirely different animal than a tune. When you start tuing, and fooling around with spark advance and air/ fuel ratios it gets serious. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would dispute that. But I don't think a dealer will cancel a power train warranty because someone changed the mufflers. Don't panic.Drive your cars.

·
Registered
108 Posts
guys. we are living in tough times. the dealer mananger would sure apreciate 1,000 dollar friendship offer. friends usualy ignore the fact that you had a tune and a boss intake manifold.
LOL

"Are you sure my aftermarket tune caused the failure? My friend Ben Franklin here wants you to check again"

·
Registered
92 Posts
What about playing this card: ..."My mods were put on my car before this TSB existed...Here are my receipts with Dates of purchases and installations. When i did these upgrades, it was still legal and warranty-friendly....If having these mods will cancel my warranty, whether they caused the issue or not, then FORD should be responsible for covering the costs of uninstalling them and making it stock and warranty-friendly. Otherwise, create a grandfather policy for pre-TSB modified cars.."
Problem is that the even before the TSB was issued, the warranty still covered Ford's ass for problems that are created by customer-modifications. This has always been the case for Ford and virtually any other car manufacturer.

The TSB was nothing NEW, it was just a reminder to all dealers, and to the public on forums like these to end speculation about whether Ford dealers could/couldn't detect tunes, etc. and whether modifications that cause problems would potentially void the warranty.

Sorry, playing that card will only cause you to bust!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Obviously there's been more new 5.0's that have taken a dump compared to the 4.6 in previous years. And it looks like there's been a few bad tunes that have triggered some of them. I can't blame ford for not wanting to cover an engine failure when knock sensors have been tampered with.

But I think Ford is just covering their ass with this TSB. It's total BS if these motors can't handle exhaust, CAI, and SAFE tunes. Sounds like there's just a lot of inconsistency with the new powertrains and Ford's looking for a scapegoat.

I'll bet some of these ford engineers actually work with performance companies with development. The aftermarket companies help sell cars.

A mustang is just a car to some but for others it's a hobby and modding is what makes it. I wouldn't have a mustang that I had to keep stock.

C'mon ford let us have a little fun.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's total BS if these motors can't handle exhaust, CAI, and SAFE tunes.
If the tunes were all "SAFE" they wouldn't be causing problems. To think you can take a car out of it's stock supported configuration and expect somebody else to then pay for your problems if/when they occur is ignorant and lacking responsibility.

If you don't have the means or the personal responsibility to handle broken parts yourself or don't want to accept the risk that comes with modifications...don't upgrade, it's that simple. Nothing "BS" about it, it is just reality.

Having more fun than the guy running the stock car takes considerable money and risk, there is no free lunch in this world and if there was it would probably tastes like ****.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If the tunes were all "SAFE" they wouldn't be causing problems. To think you can take a car out of it's stock supported configuration and expect somebody else to then pay for your problems if/when they occur is ignorant and lacking responsibility.

If you don't have the means or the personal responsibility to handle broken parts yourself or don't want to accept the risk that comes with modifications...don't upgrade, it's that simple. Nothing "BS" about it, it is just reality.

Having more fun than the guy running the stock car takes considerable money and risk, there is no free lunch in this world and if there was it would probably tastes like ****.
Give me a break dude, your're putting words in my mouth. Did you even read the first part of my post? I never said "ALL" tunes are safe. In fact I acknowledged that some may be bad and you can't blame Ford for voided warranties in those cases. Go back and reread it and try to actually comprehend what you've read this time.

I'm pointing out that simply voiding a warranty JUST because an aftermarket part is installed without reasonable evidence that the part in question actually caused the failure is complete BS. Its nothing but a a BS scapegoat. Yes I said it again. It is in fact BS.

I'm not stupid enough to expect Ford to cover a problem that I caused with a part that I installed. Just don't tell me a part that I installed caused a problem that it didn't. Don't use an aftermarket part as a scapegoat for your design flaw or quality control failure.

And yes I know the risk of modding and I accept it. But If you say my mods caused a failure then prove it and I'll pay the bill and won't say another word.

F

·
0 Posts
Hello Members!

Ok, so I guess here go my .02 cents…:ahhhhh This TSB is specifying the info that is in your warranty guide to be more specific to this concern. It is basically the same info, just with a little more detail. It has been determined that this was happening to a high percentage of moded cars. So, as per the warranty guide, this Technical Service Bulletin was put out for Service Techs to see before doing any repairs for this specific concern. It does not automatically void your warranty. You can find the info on page 13 in your warranty guide.

Deysha

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello Members!

Ok, so I guess here go my .02 cents…:ahhhhh This TSB is specifying the info that is in your warranty guide to be more specific to this concern. It is basically the same info, just with a little more detail. It has been determined that this was happening to a high percentage of moded cars. So, as per the warranty guide, this Technical Service Bulletin was put out for Service Techs to see before doing any repairs for this specific concern. It does not automatically void your warranty. You can find the info on page 13 in your warranty guide.

Deysha
Guess it's time to RTFM!!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I think this is the one she is talking about...

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's important to note that the burden of proof falls on the dealer in this case. They must prove a correlation (direct) between the modification and the problem. I.e., how did a cold air intake cause your transmission to fail? The Magnuson-Moss warranty act exists to protect consumers in this situation, but most people probably wouldn't, or couldn't, be bothered to call the dealership on it. Especially if legal representation was needed.

Still, it's important for people to know their rights and what tools they have to uphold them, even if that means a tedious legal process.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal9
Hi Chris,

Let me start out by saying I'm very impressed by AM, keep up the great work! There has been a thread out there discussing tunes and warrantys.
I recently purchased a steeda cai / bama tune for a 2011 5.0 manual trans. Installed perfect, car runs fantastic no issues, all around bad ass! Here is the flip side. I'm fully aware that I installed a unauthroized tune on my car and take responsiblty for that. I guess my question is, how "safe and or reliable" are these bama tunes. This thread has me ready to take out the tune and the CAI in fear Im going to melt the #8 piston or something else go wrong, I just cant afford to dump 7 grand for a new motor. I dont want the recipe for the tune at all, I was wondering how far do they push the parameters of the engine in a safe operating enviroment in writing these tunes? Do they fool with the spark knock sensors which is a big concern for many people... In other words for example...if Ford builds the new 5.0 and and limits its operations to say 70%, how far does bama take that 70% to 90% maybe? Im not sure and so are many other who are chaging their cars back to stock with this new Ford TSB about tunes and mods. I love my tune to say the least, I just want to have fun in a safe non-engine failure way. Thanks for your time on this matter.

Thanks!
Brad

Brad,

I can definitely promise you that you're running a safe and powerful custom tune. We always take safety into consideration. We have over 1000 GT's (2011's specifically) on the road with our custom tunes, and only 2 with confirmed issues, both from the same 2 week tune period back in February in which we modified knock sensor parameters. We have since corrected the issue and sent out updates to the people who purchased during that two week window. We have never, before nor after, changed these parameters outside of that time period because there were no power gains found during our testing with that tune version. As for the TSB and the warranty issues, we're working on something to put people at ease. Keep an eye out, but have no fear. Enjoy your car and enjoy your tunes!

Chris

Maybe this will help with some confusion with warranty and (BAMA) tunes......

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
:eek: No comment LQQK... :)

Yup, that's the one JohnRichard!:bigthumbsup

Deysha
Spoke with the FSE and he assured me that simply having a tune will not void it; must be proven that it was at fault.

R

·
0 Posts
FYI, as bad (or not) as this may be, it's not as bad as what Chrysler has done to the 2011 Challenger. They have apparently made updating the tune, for any reason, totally impossible via a new encryption scheme on the ECU. No updates for gears, a CAI, new tires, a supercharger, NOTHING. They are using the same excuse as Ford: "We don't wanna pay for warranty work on modded cars."

In fact, it turns out that Hurst has canceled all of their cars because of this, including the Hurst Mustangs.

Ford may be complete scumbags and all, but this is like... hyper scumbag. My disgust with Ford had actually driven me to nearly return to stock and trade my POS in for a new Chally, but now... forget it.

F

·
0 Posts
Spoke with the FSE and he assured me that simply having a tune will not void it; must be proven that it was at fault.
+1 Exactly Cbaty08!

Again, any aftermarket part/tune will not automatically void your New Vehicle Limited or Extended warranty. However, if an aftermarket part causes a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. Or, if you are having a concern and you have an aftermarket part on your vehicle, that may not let them diagnose it correctly, you will have to remove it before they can proceed.

Deysha

·
Registered
122 Posts
+1 Exactly Cbaty08!

Again, any aftermarket part/tune will not automatically void your New Vehicle Limited or Extended warranty. However, if an aftermarket part causes a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. Or, if you are having a concern and you have an aftermarket part on your vehicle, that may not let them diagnose it correctly, you will have to remove it before they can proceed.

Deysha

LOL, "causes a concern"

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Looks like you should disconnect the battery along with flashing back to stock.
I may be reading that flow chart incorrectly, but it looks like flashing back or disconnecting the battery (aka trying to cover it up) bypasses the whole "determine if mod is culprit step and jumps straight to "cancel warranty"... It seems like your best bet is just leaving everything as is, hoping that you never overreved or screwed up your A/F ratios, and force Ford to prove that it was something that you did.

I talked to the service manager at my dealership, and he was very lawyer-esque in covering his azz, but the certified Ford Racing Tech with whom I spoke that same day said that the monkey is on Ford's back to prove that the mod caused the problem. He specifically cited the A/F ratios and any evidence of overreving the engine.

SO, what I plan on doing is just making sure that my tune doesn't raise the rev limiter and doing whatever datalogging I need to do in order to make sure everything is running like a champ. For me, the main thing is just improving the throttle response and shift points in my AT transmission. I'm not trying to milk a whole helluva lot more HP or torque out of the engine.

121 - 140 of 159 Posts