Ford Mustang Forum banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I may be reading that flow chart incorrectly, but it looks like flashing back or disconnecting the battery (aka trying to cover it up) bypasses the whole "determine if mod is culprit step and jumps straight to "cancel warranty"... It seems like your best bet is just leaving everything as is, hoping that you never overreved or screwed up your A/F ratios, and force Ford to prove that it was something that you did.

I talked to the service manager at my dealership, and he was very lawyer-esque in covering his azz, but the certified Ford Racing Tech with whom I spoke that same day said that the monkey is on Ford's back to prove that the mod caused the problem. He specifically cited the A/F ratios and any evidence of overreving the engine.

SO, what I plan on doing is just making sure that my tune doesn't raise the rev limiter and doing whatever datalogging I need to do in order to make sure everything is running like a champ. For me, the main thing is just improving the throttle response and shift points in my AT transmission. I'm not trying to milk a whole helluva lot more HP or torque out of the engine.
There are endless reasons one would need to disconnect the battery... I had to just to change my steering wheel; they can't void it off that alone..... CAN THEY?

·
Registered
359 Posts
There are endless reasons one would need to disconnect the battery... I had to just to change my steering wheel; they can't void it off that alone..... CAN THEY?
Certainly not...I think it means in conjunction with trying to erase the record of a PCM flash. That is, they are wise to our "tricks" so to speak.

I am not sure what length of time the battery must be disconnected to erase that data from the computer, but I'm guessing it could be so long that it would appear incongruous with benign reasons like changing a battery or or changing a steering wheel or installing a breaker for car audio or whatever.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Certainly not...I think it means in conjunction with trying to erase the record of a PCM flash. That is, they are wise to our "tricks" so to speak.

I am not sure what length of time the battery must be disconnected to erase that data from the computer, but I'm guessing it could be so long that it would appear incongruous with benign reasons like changing a battery or or changing a steering wheel or installing a breaker for car audio or whatever.
Disconnect battery for 30 minutes, Done!
Let's say your were installing a new stereo, amplifiers and speakers, you could have the battery disconnected for 8 hours easy.
Installing a new facia with fog lights, 2-3 hours.
Left the key on while listening to the stereo all day at a carshow or at the park.

These are a few legit reasons why the battery could be disconnected or go dead.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't read in the manual DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FOR ANY REASON OR WE MAY THINK YOUR HIDING SOMETHING AND VOID YOUR WARRANTY:nono:
Be real, not everybody is out to screw a JD and Power Associates Customer Satisfaction Award Winner like Ford Motor Company. HMM
I have personally been told by my dealer that they have re flashed my PCM several times for updates, they weren't going to tell me but the engine was running different and the transmission shifting poorly, They told me the computer had to relearn because of the re flash and it would get better over time and it did.
The drive cycles and other stored information are reset every time so if someone was to look at the stored mileage against the odometer it would not match ever again.

I have been driving Mustangs for a long time and have learned first hand that some of Ford Mechanics don't know crap about these cars, especially the 5.0's. Who's to say that they didnt do something wrong and screwed up the memory on the PCM.
The conspiracy theories can go on and on but at the end of the day Ford has found a scape goat for the lack quality control and the ability to build a consistent product.

Just Saying:winks

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ya think installing this would void the Ford warranty??

I was just kidding... Please don't be a TOOL and think this works and go buy one...

Can you believe they still sale these things on E Bay??

·
Registered
233 Posts
Didn't read through the pages upon pages of lol, but...

My service guy has been awesome. Our conversation went as follows-
I asked, "I have a quick question for you man... would you be mad if I hooked my stang up with an axle back exhaust system, a cai, and a tune?"
He responded, "Do your thing, bro."
I say, "Hmm... But I bought this car new for the warranty... and people on the forums are going a little crazy about TSBs and denying warranty work on modded stangs... can you still perform services and repairs on it?"
He answers, "Yeah, dude, my daily driver cobra has 550hp at the wheels. If the mod didn't cause the problem, you're good to go."
So, I have a few rhetorical questions- How many times can Deysha write the same thing? How many times will people refuse to comprehend it? People must be deliberately trying to misconstrue the words she is typing into the forum quick reply box in her internet browser from the keyboard that is plugged into her personal computer at her job site. This is getting ridiculous. If it bugs you that much, equip your lawyer to your paladin's +1 mace, target Ford Motor Company, and press the attack button. I see you trollin; I'm hatin. Stop it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I asked, "I have a quick question for you man... would you be mad if I hooked my stang up with an axle back exhaust system, a cai, and a tune?"
I say, "Hmm... But I bought this car new for the warranty... and people on the forums are going a little crazy about TSBs and denying warranty work on modded stangs... can you still perform services and repairs on it?"
He answers, "Yeah, dude, my daily driver cobra has 550hp at the wheels. If the mod didn't cause the problem, you're good to go."
So, I have a few rhetorical questions- How many times can Deysha write the same thing? How many times will people refuse to comprehend it? People must be deliberately trying to misconstrue the words she is typing into the forum quick reply box in her internet browser from the keyboard that is plugged into her personal computer at her job site. This is getting ridiculous. If it bugs you that much, equip your lawyer to your paladin's +1 mace, target Ford Motor Company, and press the attack button. I see you trollin; I'm hatin. Stop it.
The only paladin that comes to my mind is
Have Gun will Travel
He didn't carry a can of mace...
Mod away bud..
My service manager wasn't real keen on exhaust mods and such, just knew to check over for mods.... I think he has a Focus.. He knew everything about my POS loaner car.. Be glad you have a good service dept at your dealer.. Mine... Well they suck...
My salesman has a Billet.. Shame he knows more about the car than the dudes repairing it...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Dude,
Your mechanic is rare, let's say he gets fired for not following the Ford "warranty denied " policy and you end up with a different mechanic that drinks the Ford cool aid.
The old mechanic has already put in the computer all the mods you have on you car and then Deysha adds what you said on this forum and whoola, your screwed "warranty denied".
remember Deysha said here in this thread it only takes a "CONCERN" not actual proof:nono:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Except what Deysha keeps writing isn't at all what you just said. Deysha says all the modified part has to do is "cause a concern" and Ford won't cover that part. The law says that it must be proven that the modified part caused the failure. See the disconnect there?

G

·
0 Posts
Dude,
Your mechanic is rare, let's say he gets fired for not following the Ford "warranty denied " policy and you end up with a different mechanic that drinks the Ford cool aid.
The old mechanic has already put in the computer all the mods you have on you car and then Deysha adds what you said on this forum and whoola, your screwed "warranty denied".
remember Deysha said here in this thread it only takes a "CONCERN" not actual proof:nono:
Except what Deysha keeps writing isn't at all what you just said. Deysha says all the modified part has to do is "cause a concern" and Ford won't cover that part. The law says that it must be proven that the modified part caused the failure. See the disconnect there?
I think you guys are misinterpreting the word 'concern'. It references 'customer concern', in other words, the reason you brought the car in for repairs. It does not refer to Ford's concern you modded your car. I am a dealer tech for Mercedes so this is lingo we deal with daily.

·
Registered
122 Posts
+1 Exactly Cbaty08!

Again, any aftermarket part/tune will not automatically void your New Vehicle Limited or Extended warranty. However, if an aftermarket part causes a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. Or, if you are having a concern and you have an aftermarket part on your vehicle, that may not let them diagnose it correctly, you will have to remove it before they can proceed.

Deysha
The bolded text does not reference customer concern, it states Fords position according to Deysha. Maybe she misspoke or meant something else, but I find it impossible to interpret what she said any other way.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't know if this thread has been linked to or not. It's good reading

WWW.S197FORUM.COM

If so sorry. This car had a tune,headers,CAI on it and one day it just quit. It was taken to the dealer with only the headers on it. Obviously The Ford tech looked at the PCM and saw there had been a tune, but returned to stock. Long story short the problem was lack of oil, 2 of the mains let go. Ford has replaced the engine under powertrain warr.

Again, any aftermarket part/tune will not automatically void your New Vehicle Limited or Extended warranty. However, if an aftermarket part causes a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. Or, if you are having a concern and you have an aftermarket part on your vehicle, that may not let them diagnose it correctly, you will have to remove it before they can proceed.

Deysha

G

·
0 Posts
The bolded text does not reference customer concern, it states Fords position according to Deysha. Maybe she misspoke or meant something else, but I find it impossible to interpret what she said any other way.

Deysha worded it exactly how I would explain it to a customer.

If the aftermarket part caused a check engine light or rough idle or some other issue, the repair for that concern, aka problem, aka issue, aka failure, would not be covered under warranty.

It's not that she is saying when the service tech pops the hood and gets concerned when he sees aftermarket parts on the car. That is a misinterpretation.

·
Registered
122 Posts

If the aftermarket part caused a check engine light or rough idle or some other issue, the repair for that concern, aka problem, aka issue, aka failure, would not be covered under warranty.

It's not that she is saying when the service tech pops the hood and gets concerned when he sees aftermarket parts on the car. That is a misinterpretation.

OK, fair enough.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I think I have replied to this thread more then the cammed idle tune...

You know what find funny, I had less than 500 miles on the car, I took it to the dealer that I had bought the car from to get the FRPP GT handling pack installed…
I had my C&L CAI on the car with the gay little insert in the intake so it wouldn’t suck so bad ( too much air)… And I left my ProCal tuner and instructions on the seat when I dropped the car off…
Picked the car up two days later… Handling pack installed and FRPP tune as well… plus a front end alignment for the install of the GT Handling pack… all of that installed for a little over 500 bucks…
The tech that did it… was more excited than me about the parts installed on this brand new car…
So is my warranty going to be voided… Hell I don’t know, and I don’t care…
So boys and girls, the moral to this story… if you are going to lose sleep at night thinking about it… don’t do it…

But I think the main reason for the TSB was from Ford techs finding dumbass installing a nitrous nozzle in the sound tube…
If you southern engineer your warranty covered Mustang to that extent, than your warranty should be voided for mods…

·
Registered
380 Posts
LOL, "causes a concern"
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc
+1 Exactly Cbaty08!

Deysha

I think you guys are misinterpreting the word 'concern'. It references 'customer concern', in other words, the reason you brought the car in for repairs. It does not refer to Ford's concern you modded your car. I am a dealer tech for Mercedes so this is lingo we deal with daily.
I don't know you so don't take this personal BUT,

Wow, how you twisted that around was absolutely amazing,
Are you and Deysha related or is there a class in Dealer Mechanic school on how to twist statements so they fit the situation you require at any given time? Jk

This is the kind of smoking mirrors BS customers are getting tired of.
You guy's just don't get it:nono:

I'll play,
What Deysha meant was,
If the "Mechanic" has "a concern" with the Mod he will void your warranty with out any proof the mod caused the problem.
So, if "you" have "a concern" with the Mechanic voiding your warranty because of a mod you installed on your car don't be a dumb ass and let them see it, take it off before you bring your car to the dealer to be serviced.

I guess it depends on who "is" concerned

This reminds me of an quote from a great leader,

‪Bill Clinton It Depends on what the meaning of the word is is‬‏ - YouTube

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have only added the axle back exhaust, and to be honest, I am not considering getting either a cai or a tune before my warranty is up. I raised this issue with the person who I trust to take care of my car because I refuse to have any ambiguities or misunderstandings between us, because I want his opinion, and because I need to be as upfront as humanly possible. You really think Deysha is big brother, has transcripts of everything on this forum? ... I really don't think so.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Btw- people are still not understanding what Deysha is saying. It's really a bulletproof statement with no plausible room for interpretation. I will now excuse myself from this thread *tips hat*

F

·
0 Posts

You really think Deysha is big brother, has transcripts of everything on this forum? ... I really don't think so.
+1 Thank you Grimace427 and Mattmonay!

141 - 159 of 159 Posts