Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 GT with 95k miles and its my daily driver, im the 3rd owner and the guy i bought it from changed the oil b4 i got it, but i dont know much about tune-ups. What would i need to do to get my car running like it was new?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Start with your basic stuff.

Change out your distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires. Clean your MAF Sensor, get a new Air Filter (or if you have a K&N : Get a Recharge Kit).

Wheels Balanced, check your pressure.

New Fuel Filter.

Maybe a new PCV Valve?

My personal thing is to flush and drain EVERY fluid you have. That way, you have a basis for what is what and when it was last changed.

I know someone else has something besides this.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
What Buck said, except for on an automatic transmission. If the auto-tranny fluid hasn't been changed at regular 30000 mile intervals, just leave it in. You should also check your fuel pressure, and maybe scan EEC for codes. You might uncover problems you didn't even know you had...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, ive been wanting to get a K&n air filter, but i was just gonna wait and get a cold air system, il get some of this stuff done this weekend, me and my dad are goin to do the ground wire thing, and i guess i can run up to AutoZone and pick up a new spark plug and get some new wires while im at it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
tune-ups

Ok I know I love working on my on stang but this past friday I learned to hate a spark plug change on my 95 gt you can get to about 3 plugs pretty good but the other 6 gets tougher you have to take some some stuff apart to get to them and even then there is 3 plugs that are a real pain to get back in a rubber hose stuck on the plug helps but you will still be speaking french before your through. If I didnt like that car so much........:kooky:

·
Registered
861 Posts
This is why we love them...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
get ford motorcraft spark plugs from latemodelrestoration.com

or autolite #25's.

none of that fancy platinum bs. our cars dont have the kind of power in the ignition system to get a good spark off of platinum. in fact, most cars made before 1996 dont.

might as well toss an oil change on there too. im not sure what opinions have been made on oil on these forums. but i have learned from my father's and my brother's experiences. buying expensive oil like royal purple or something is a waste of money. oil is oil, as long as you change it every 3000. personally, i change my oil every 2 months.

if you do wires with your plugs, be sure to get wire seperators / looms so you can keep them from touching to avoid any arcing later on down the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.