Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this thread has been posted 1000 times, but I was wondering what tuner (Diablosport or SCT2) is preferred? I already have full-length exhaust (from headers to tips), so will one tuner be better than the other? And which tuner would be better if I added the Zex juice kit? Thanks

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
SCT is better! LOL... ther will for sure be other opinions but ask your professional tuner what he uses!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Go with the SCT XCAL2 and you won't be dissapointed. If you go with n20 hook up with a tuner and he'll be able to create a tune for you. You can have up to 3 different tunes and be able to reprogram the ECU in a couple of minutes from NA to n20 or vice versa.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have both the SCT XCal2 and the ZEX on my 05. Buy the SCT XCal2 if you want a easy to use tuner that is backed by many tuners.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
rgensemer said:
Go with the SCT XCAL2 and you won't be dissapointed.
I am wondering what is it about the XCAL2 that's better than Diablosport. Is it just because more tuners use it or does it have features the Diablosport does not?

G

·
XCAL II has a few more tables (timing vs heat, spark, correlated variables) in them that the Predator does not. If you are a dyno shop working with S/C's and NOS kits, and pulling max power out of highly tuned vehicles, yes, most of the shops use SCT.

For the average guy in the street, Predator works fine. I have as about as good as a tune as I can get from my mods at around 315 rwhp with Predator, going to a XCAL II wouldn't get me anything more. However, if I S/C, then surely, I would go with a XCAL II to keep everything safer.

My dyno shop had a 2004 Cobra with a Predator tune making mad HP, he burnt a piston after the engine got way too hot dragging mid summer, he had the motor rebuilt and was adding a KB blower when I saw it last and going with an XCAL II tune and dyno.
It will be a fuggin beast.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
R3dF1r3 said:
XCAL II has a few more tables (timing vs heat, spark, correlated variables) in them that the Predator does not.
Can the XCAL2 or any other tunerretard spark at WOT, as in retarding spark for a nitrous shot at WOT?

I bought a C&L kit with Predator but now I have a ZEX nitrous kit installed an know I will need a custom tune for the higher horsepower nitrous shots from a good tuner, a suppose I'll have to get a XCAL2.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It depends. ZEX claims you don't need to adjust your timing with a 75 shot. If you go higher you will have to adjust timing. If you go with, say a 100 shot, it is probably to your benefit to go to a dyno shop who uses SCT and have the tuner create a custom tune for your car. A/F mixture and timing can both be adjusted accordingly by your tuner and loaded into your SCT XCAL. You will need at least two, if not 3 different tunes to choose from depending on if you plan to spray n20 or run NA. I have a 93 Oct, 87 OCT and a 93 OCT n20 to choose from and can go back and forth in a minute or two. But to answer your question, yes all those parameters are user adjustable with Advantage software.or Extreme Tune.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
rgensemer said:
It depends. ZEX claims you don't need to adjust your timing with a 75 shot. If you go higher you will have to adjust timing. If you go with, say a 100 shot, it is probably to your benefit to go to a dyno shop who uses SCT and have the tuner create a custom tune for your car. A/F mixture and timing can both be adjusted accordingly by your tuner and loaded into your SCT XCAL. You will need at least two, if not 3 different tunes to choose from depending on if you plan to spray n20 or run NA. I have a 93 Oct, 87 OCT and a 93 OCT n20 to choose from and can go back and forth in a minute or two. But to answer your question, yes all those parameters are user adjustable with Advantage software.or Extreme Tune.
he'll need to take his timing back to stock even for the the 75HP shot... If he's running a predator his timing will not be stock... so either he can put the car totally back to stock or get a custom tune, with just the timing stock... go above 75HP and you'll need to pull even more timing...

G

·
I am not a tuner but, the C&L/ MAF tune is just for that N/A setup mod. Even adding my Long Tubes made me revise the tune. The predator has fuel table and timing control to a limited degree.

That said, I am not a big NOS/ ZEX fan due to all the horror stories on detonation, burnt plugs, etc and motor life. If you have conservative tune with it you are in all likelyhood safe but, you really need to take your pony to an expert tuner/ dyno shop and get the proper timing/ custom tune for the amount of shot HP you are using AND matched to your total mod system.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Good points!

Also remember that on the dyno they can test (and tune) your full register, even with adding NOS at/around the top! This way you'll know on witch tune you can do what... and you'll know the engine is running the best it can AND SAFE all across the register...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts