Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Well I just recieved my pony this Friday.... When I picked it up it was in the beaming sun and I noticed some anomolies in the clear coat. You can see 3 places where someone put there fingers in the clear coat. It only appears when direct sun appears on the car... Others have noticed it but they didn't think it was a big deal. I noticed it right away and think it is a big deal for the money it should be perfect. The only problem now is do I send it back to the dealership to rip it down and re apply the clearcoat. Perhaps it can be buffed out??? I know the factory clear coat is the best but can a decent body shop do a good job as well??? Should I just live with it because the factory clearcoat will protect the car longer??? I could take a picture but it would be hard to tell... the sun has to be hitting it at the right angle.
I almost didn't take the car but I just wanted to take it for the weekend, tomorrow I'm taking it to a detailer who I will ask about these spots.
Kinda a piss off waiting for so long and having these little spots, but the car is amazing.... for those of you waiting, it will be worth it.
If anyone has some insight it would be more then appreciated.
CHCPMAN

·
Registered
579 Posts
You can use Eagle 1 Polish/Wax and it will remove those prints. I did a friend a favor on his 2006 FiveHundred it had finger prints all in the clear coat around the doors and the trunk lid. If the Polish/Wax does not do it I ended color sanding the truck to remove 4 finger prints but looks good now and his car was black they showed really easy. I guess with humidty Ford is not letting these cars dry enough before they finish building them. My friend probably purchased the only FiveHundred in Ohio and they are in a hurry to build them...lol... My dealer has 40 of them with rebates.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have a professional use a compound on it first... if that doesn;t work it should be able to be wet sanded out. I have been VERY dissapointed in the finish on my 05 GT since I got it. The clear coat seems VERY cheap and I had dirt in the clear as well. I had stripes painted on so 90% of the finish now has no defects. I have also been told to watch out for paint lifting off of the body due to problems with the primer from the factory... fyi

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I am expecting a 2006 tungsten GT in January, I want to have stripes painted on mine also like the 2004 show car. where you pleased with the results and how much did you pay???
Crazeehrse said:
Have a professional use a compound on it first... if that doesn;t work it should be able to be wet sanded out. I have been VERY dissapointed in the finish on my 05 GT since I got it. The clear coat seems VERY cheap and I had dirt in the clear as well. I had stripes painted on so 90% of the finish now has no defects. I have also been told to watch out for paint lifting off of the body due to problems with the primer from the factory... fyi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very Dissapointing news today

It looks like the defects go all the way to the paint.... extatic about getting the car a few days ago to big dissapointment. When the sun hits the car you can see these prints like shinning a ultraviolet light on white.

I would assume getting a new car would be out of the question... not to mention the 6 month wait.

My worst feeling is they would have to sand it down and repaint those sections...

Not good and not a happy camper.

Guess I will see what the dealership comes up with.
Flat rock might be pushing these cars out to fast. Guess that is the chance you take to get a hot car.
CHCPMAN:madas:

·
Registered
20 Posts
chpman.. sorry to hear that. A good shop can fix it easily though. what I would do is make ford get the whole car refinished so the texture of the clearcoat matches all the way around. I payed 1800 for painted 10 inch stripes on mine and and they did an awesome job of refinishing the car so it blends well with the factory finish. again though since this is a factory defect push them hard to refinish the WHOLE car since it is brand new.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Crazeehrse said:
man that pisses me off, i can be an example of this somewhat as someone barely hit my car while parked, no dents or scratches to the actual bumper the paint just sort of flaked off, it was like cellophane on a cd cover. however i got it repainted and no problems since

·
Registered
149 Posts
chcpman said:
Hello

Well I just recieved my pony this Friday.... When I picked it up it was in the beaming sun and I noticed some anomolies in the clear coat. You can see 3 places where someone put there fingers in the clear coat. It only appears when direct sun appears on the car... Others have noticed it but they didn't think it was a big deal. I noticed it right away and think it is a big deal for the money it should be perfect. The only problem now is do I send it back to the dealership to rip it down and re apply the clearcoat. Perhaps it can be buffed out??? I know the factory clear coat is the best but can a decent body shop do a good job as well??? Should I just live with it because the factory clearcoat will protect the car longer??? I could take a picture but it would be hard to tell... the sun has to be hitting it at the right angle.
I almost didn't take the car but I just wanted to take it for the weekend, tomorrow I'm taking it to a detailer who I will ask about these spots.
Kinda a piss off waiting for so long and having these little spots, but the car is amazing.... for those of you waiting, it will be worth it.
If anyone has some insight it would be more then appreciated.
CHCPMAN
Mine had a 2 inch fish eye in the hood which could be easily seen in direct sun or fluorescent light. Showed to the dealer along with another smaller fish eye, grit in the paint on the passenger door, and a big run by the passenger door handle. The dealer sent it to a paint shop for a serious buff and all went well. You can just barely see the 2 inch fish eye in direct sun but you have to do some serious looking. I mentioned this to the dealer and he basically said "tough" and "good luck in having us fixing it right". Japanese cars are far superior in paint then USA -- gee maybe they should offshore the painitng to China ---- :)

BTW - it spent 4 hours in the paint shop, they provided me with a full size rental and I saw the bill to Ford -- $1200.00 --- YEE HAA!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine has the same thing, looks like somone touched the bumper while the paint was fresh or something. You can't feel it but it is just a little darker in 3 spots, just where where you first three fingers are :( I tried everything to get it off with no luck, doesn't bother me enough to have it repainted though.

Looks like a comon problem

·
Registered
599 Posts
I waxed my sled, about six weeks after delivery. I had heard, (read) about letting the paint cure? Anyway it is perfect, no factory damage or road/parking lot damage. Thank Goodness!
Good Luck to you all with your troubles. :sosad:

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you can barely see it,I say live with it.they could make it worse and then you'd really be pissed:sterb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts