Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 66 coupe been working on for what seems like forever. Doing panel work for the last year prep'in for paint. Gotta 3:25 tracloc, custom C4, stock bottom end; typical street stuff. I've recurved dizzy (34* total by 3200K) and jett'd the Edl 4106 carb. I've been eye-balling the LM-1 and LM-2 AFR diagnostic kit, using wide band 02 sensors and scanner. Looks like a great tool. What are my options for a good performance tune without dumping $400-500. The 289 is strong, but expect to build a 347 or 331 as soon as paint is done. Reading plugs are a pain unless you've got an obvious problem. Is that Innovate unit worth the money? Are there other options to a good tune?

·
Registered
328 Posts
i just purchased a F.A.S.T. a/f monitor with two sensors so i can read each bank individually.it will record up to 25 min. i really like it but it was 400 and something bucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It depends how fine tune you want. That system is worth it if you are doing serious tuning. If your just looking for something to tell you did something dumb or something is going wrong save your money. I got the Edelbrock monitor for a little over 100 bucks its not as fast but lets me know whats going on. Once the bungs are in you can always borrow someones more sophisticated system for a weekend.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I use the LM-1 on all my tunes, that is at the track. And it's good for fuel injection, but I couldn't tell you as far as carb goes. Using it to get your air/fuel ratio is good. As far as reading plugs goes, it's really quite easy when you have your air/fuel ratio correct. After you get it right, put a set of Denso Iridiums in and then you'll notice a big difference. They're the only plugs I run in my cars, they might be a little costly but they're worth the money. I'm on my 3rd season, with the same set of plugs and they still look the same as the 1st. Cheap plugs are a dime a dozen, and that's the reason you have to change them all the time. As far as the LM-1 goes, I've had mine for six years now and change my wide band O2 sensor every two months for a more accurate reading when data logging. The problem with most people trying to tune a carb, is they think by changing the jets will get it right. But that's your last option, change your air bleeds it works better. I haven't done carbs in about a year, when I set up my 427 Competition Proven FAIRLANE GTA with dual carb set up. There are some photos in my photo gallery, and it's the real deal no clone, Mike. SCT Tuner. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.