Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious... I had a 92 LK quite some time ago and there's really nothing quite like that driving experience. The torque those cars made were so much fun to drive.

While I overall like my 06 better than the 92 I have to admit that for me atleast the "fun factor" goes to the LX even tho I think it probably made less HP than the 06.

So, how do I marry the two? Meaning get the fun factor that was there in the 92 to the 06. The most obvious difference is the torque. I'm not looking to do "major" upgrades like a supercharger or anything but I would like to hear from anyone that has driven both a fox body and a S197 and understands what I'm talking about. One thing I thought of is that I have a CAI and a custom tune. My HP and torque nombers are very similar. I'd like to keep the car on the conservative side but I wondor how much more torque can be pulled from a tune. I've seen plenty cars with torque numbers considerably higher than HP numbers. Is this what I'm trying to accomplish? Can this be done with just a tune? Is it still save for the engine? Anyother thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
A cold air intake like JLT and a 93 octane "Street" tune from American Muscle will give you some real fun torque. You sacrifice some high end HP with it but for me it is not worth it since I do not race my car on a track.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went with the JLT with the tuner and boy is it worth it! you catch improved throttle response and you feel the "push" at about 3500rpms. just be prepared to pay extra for 93 octane and your mileage seems to go down some.... but that might be due to the urge to drive like an A hole! lol!:smirk

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a custom tune with a JLT.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Get some 4.10's if you drive highway much. 4.56's if it is a hobby driver or you don't see the highway hardly at all. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Those cars were a hell of a lot lighter back then, made them a blast to drive. I thing your gonna need some extra mods to get you that feeling with this generation of heavier mustang.

Maybe you should consider a supercharger and just be done with it. You might really have to pyle on the little mods to get you to that feeling. But trying a CAI and tune is the best bang for the buck thats worth trying first.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
A 400-600 estimated weight difference will make it feel that way. Also traction is alot greater for the S197. My 300rwhp 94GT could spin the tires almost as easily as my current setup but was a good deal slower. It just had horrible traction.

SOmeone asked this question a few days ago and all heck broke loose.
The 5.0 is a legend though. Goto GM or all around auto forums and those guys give respect to the 5.0s.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
The only thing that you will get noticeable torque with is a blower.

Gearing is faux torque.:winks

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
If your car is an auto, then your tune may not optimize the shifting.
I respectfully disagree 100%.

Once i loaded the street race tune from Tillmanspeed (made by CR) my car was a whole new animal. The low end power, the throttle response, and the much more firm and precise shift points from my auto trans. Best thing i did to the car IMO :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I respectfully disagree 100%.

Once i loaded the street race tune from Tillmanspeed (made by CR) my car was a whole new animal. The low end power, the throttle response, and the much more firm and precise shift points from my auto trans. Best thing i did to the car IMO :bigthumbsup
Totally agree that a custom tune is much better than a canned tune. However, my point is custom tunes can differ, i.e., some focus on low rpm torque, others on high rpm hp, some give firmer shifting than others, etc.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
There's nothing faux about a mechanical advantage?

You can't change the laws of physics Jim..... (or is that statics and dynamics????) :rollgrin:

·
Registered
184 Posts
The only thing that you will get noticeable torque with is a blower.

Gearing is faux torque.:winks
You are the all knowing as usual. Do you really have to wink on every response like you just have to subtly indicate the person you are disagreeing with is a dumbass? There is zero argument that steeper gears won't make the car more snappy and torquey feeling which is what the OP is looking for so take your "faux" and learn to not be so arrogant all the time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was just curious... I had a 92 LK quite some time ago and there's really nothing quite like that driving experience. The torque those cars made were so much fun to drive.

While I overall like my 06 better than the 92 I have to admit that for me atleast the "fun factor" goes to the LX even tho I think it probably made less HP than the 06.

So, how do I marry the two? Meaning get the fun factor that was there in the 92 to the 06. The most obvious difference is the torque. I'm not looking to do "major" upgrades like a supercharger or anything but I would like to hear from anyone that has driven both a fox body and a S197 and understands what I'm talking about. One thing I thought of is that I have a CAI and a custom tune. My HP and torque nombers are very similar. I'd like to keep the car on the conservative side but I wondor how much more torque can be pulled from a tune. I've seen plenty cars with torque numbers considerably higher than HP numbers. Is this what I'm trying to accomplish? Can this be done with just a tune? Is it still save for the engine? Anyother thoughts?

Thanks

Well recently solved my problem and did it for 4K. That's less than a blower and just as much fun.

Just bought a black 92 LX :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You are the all knowing as usual. Do you really have to wink on every response like you just have to subtly indicate the person you are disagreeing with is a dumbass? There is zero argument that steeper gears won't make the car more snappy and torquey feeling which is what the OP is looking for so take your "faux" and learn to not be so arrogant all the time.
Thank god.... I thought I was the only one. :winks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts