Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this '88 turbo coupe 5 speed. Engine is a Jasper with low miles and runs very well; no smoke and no leaks. Trans shifts very nicely and exhaust looks fairly new. Rear is quiet and nothing on the drive train leaks. Suspension seems tight too. Car is pretty much a pile of junk otherwise. Plans are to swap all the drive train, rear, and brakes into my son's '88 LX 4 cyl. Then we will part out the rest of the car. Been reading about the wiring ect out on various sites.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the Mustang that will be getting the t-bird parts:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here was have swapped in some pedals that we bought from a local junk yard. It was not easy:

·
Registered
136 Posts
looks like a sweet project too bad the coupe is junk from the pics looks like it was a nice car at some point good luck the stang will def make a nice sleeper :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Nice little project you got goin there :bigthumbsup, keep us posted.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The turbo coupe is loaded with that fancy adjustable suspension, key less entry, ABS, 5 speed etc but none of the body panels line up, looks like a 5 year old $199 paint job, after market stereo in the dash, the doors don't open and close right, trunk hinges are messed up, no trunk key, out side door handles are sloppy, interior is very ratty, power seats don't work, missing AC components under the hood, under hood wire harnesses look old and dry etc. It has 170,000 miles on it and the people who had it did not work on it. When it broke it went to the shop.

The engine/trans/rear however are in outstanding condition. The car was tagged and the seller drove it an hour to bring it to my house and NO smoke what so ever comes out of the pipes. It made the one hour trip effortlessly. Even after sitting for days it fires instantly and runs flawlessly. They were asking $1,500 or best offer and I offered him $800 cash plus bring it to my house which I thought was good given the condition of the drive train. I was prepared to pay more until I looked the car over the condition was so bad I didn't want to pay higher then $800. I consider myself lucky to have found this car as a donor.

·
Registered
91 Posts
believe it or not that is a rare factory color for the Turbo coupe... 2 bad it is messed up as you said... it would be a killer street machine... Nice stang little hatch back you hae to looks clean like a old lady had it lol... keep us posted on the swap.. or if you fix the turbo coupe...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think since both the turbo coupe and Mustang are both '88s that will make the swap go much smoother. The later model 2.3 mustangs with speed density and coil packs are a bit tougher to wire up.

Unfortunately the turbo coupe won't be saved. It looks worst in real life then it does in the pictures. The Mustang is a rust free North Carolina car with a very nice interior.

·
Registered
91 Posts
put the turbo coupe wheels on the mustang ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clutch pedal install complete and old engine/trans out. AOD will be junked.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pulled the engine/trans out of the turbo coupe today. One thing that surprised me was the coolant lines around the oil filter. No mention of that in any of the swap write ups I have been reading on line? Seems like a good thing to leave in place. The other surprise was the T5 in the TC has two wire connectors going to it and the T5 out of the '88 2.3 Mustang from the junk yard has three connectors like my '88 5.0L has. Was planning to use the turbo coupe trans because I drove the car and it worked well but it won't hook up to the Mustang T5 wire harness??

Here are some pics. The engine is supposed to only have 1,000 miles on it. Someone had hooked all the waste gate hoses up wrong and end result was the waste gate was getting the boost signal directly from the vacuum tee hence it only boosted 8 pounds of boost. That is all the boost this engine probably ever saw since the previous owners knew nothing about any of the workings under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Forced4 has all the coolant lines and hoses for sale if you want to replace them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forced4 has all the coolant lines and hoses for sale if you want to replace them.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The oil warmer is stock on turbo coupes. It warms the oil in the winter and is said to be an oil cooler. I have done excessive dyno testing on that system. LEAVE IT OUT AND USE A FL1 filter. The two sensors on the T5 are VSS and REVURSE lights. You will need the VSS to be hooked up to the new car you are swapping into. I have done several of these swaps in my shop. Piece of cake.:wavey:bigthumbsup:gringreen:D

·
Registered
654 Posts
if you use the larger N/A oil filter ( fram PH 8A)it will come close to hitting the steering column, you need to use the smaller oil filter ( fram PH16) if you leave the oil cooler in place.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
If you leave the oil warmer out you remove it from the engine and then you can use an FL1. If you use the warmer then you will have to use the short PH 16. PS i never use FRAM. They are garbage.:bigthumbsup:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.