Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Out of the Turbo mufflers and the 40 series original Flowmasters, which has the best sound and which is the best quality? Who manufactures the Turbo mufflers?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
jrspony said:
Out of the Turbo mufflers and the 40 series original Flowmasters, which has the best sound and which is the best quality? Who manufactures the Turbo mufflers?
What "turbo" mufflers are you talking about?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kscoyote said:
What "turbo" mufflers are you talking about?
Not sure. I saw an early thread with someone saying they had two turbo mufflers. And, everytime a call a muffler shop for an estimate, they always ask, Turbo, Flowmaster, etc.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
jrspony said:
Not sure. I saw an early thread with someone saying they had two turbo mufflers. And, everytime a call a muffler shop for an estimate, they always ask, Turbo, Flowmaster, etc.
it's an older style of muffler, they could come from anybody, so quality depends on teh manufacturer -you'll get more sound and hp from a newer style muffler, regardless.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
The 'Turbo' name was at one time used by the Thrush brand of mufflers. I'm not sure if this is the case here, but they were cheaply made compared to the Flowmaster brand.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tominator said:
The 'Turbo' name was at one time used by the Thrush brand of mufflers. I'm not sure if this is the case here, but they were cheaply made compared to the Flowmaster brand.
I believe they are Thrush. Does anyone know anything about their mufflers? The Thrush series is a brand of DynoMax mufflers.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Dunno if corvairs had a turbo option or not, but that is where the turbo muffler originates. It was just a lower backpressure muffler, with a throatier sound. I ran one on my '82 GT. The Flow's will probably unlock more power, while the turbos will be quieter. A quiet car can still sound good though.
So, a turbo is a type of muffler. Several brands offer one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.