Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im sure alot of you read the new MM&FF issue all about turbo/blowers. and they did the tests on what they said was a "junkyard motor" first, if you ask me, it looked pretty clean to have been picked from a junkyard.. and 2, so they built it, and tested it up to 15psi. after reading that article, i was still curious about alot of things. if i was to do just what they did, ran 7psi and cranked out 400tq like they put out, would that be safe to drive around with? or is that an explosion waiting to happen? i mean sure, they built high power on low buck, but theres a reason us low buckers do that. cuz we dont have money. and i surely dont have 2000 dollars to spend, just to have to completely rebuild the motor 20 seconds into the first drive. my motor has 160k on it, a freshly rebuilt trans with prolly 500 miles on it. now i guess im just wanting somebody to go further in, and let me know if doing what they did is a good idea. cuz i mean, cmon..if it were really that easy, wouldnt more people do it? 2g to put down 400tq!! i could live with that, as long as my car lives as well. so what do all of you see being the issues with this? should i do it?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
It all has to do with the condition of the engine. It you do a compression test and leak down test, that will give you a good indication if your motor is still tight or if it's loose. Cause if it is leaking down then the added boost will be sure to take care of the rest.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
so im sure alot of you read the new MM&FF issue all about turbo/blowers. and they did the tests on what they said was a "junkyard motor" first, if you ask me, it looked pretty clean to have been picked from a junkyard.. and 2, so they built it, and tested it up to 15psi. after reading that article, i was still curious about alot of things. if i was to do just what they did, ran 7psi and cranked out 400tq like they put out, would that be safe to drive around with? or is that an explosion waiting to happen? i mean sure, they built high power on low buck, but theres a reason us low buckers do that. cuz we dont have money. and i surely dont have 2000 dollars to spend, just to have to completely rebuild the motor 20 seconds into the first drive. my motor has 160k on it, a freshly rebuilt trans with prolly 500 miles on it. now i guess im just wanting somebody to go further in, and let me know if doing what they did is a good idea. cuz i mean, cmon..if it were really that easy, wouldnt more people do it? 2g to put down 400tq!! i could live with that, as long as my car lives as well. so what do all of you see being the issues with this? should i do it?
Richard Holdener (the author) is VERY knowledgeable in building tuning different engine combinations. He is a 100% legit, no BS dude. If he said it, you can take it to the bank.

I read those articles with interest myself. While we were building the 427" stroker for my car, I ran the ProCharger, Aeromotive fuel system, and the MSD ignition for the stroker on my STOCK 302. I was hoping to run in the tens but the track was crap that day. It went an 11.36 @ 122 on the stock 302 at 12-13psi and I never took it back to the track because we just built the 427 and dropped it in.

I drove that car all over the place at 12+ psi on the stock 302. Several years ago, MM&FF went 10.98 @ 128 on a stock 302 with a turbo kit at 15psi and before that Tim Stockwell went 10.80s on a stock 302 with an s-trim at something like 17psi with methanol injection.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so if i do a leakdown test,and all that comes out good and say i only ran maybe 7psi, its very possible i could be in good shape?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts