Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a new member to this forum and want to begin with a discussion about a turbo swap I'm "attempting" to do. The swap consists of a completly overhauled 87 turbocoupe 2.3 Turbo motor along with the stock Warner/ISHI turbocharger. This motor will be swapped into a 4 cylinder 89 Mustang LX which has received an 8.8 traction loc rearend spinning 3.73s with disc brakes on end. Also a cold air intake and dual exhaust. Now the rebuilt motor has been ported and polished as well as the upper and lower intake manifolds. A set of 4 Holley 36lb injectors are seated in the lower manifold for additional fuel delivery which is accompanied by an AFPR. Now I have had this engine all together for about a year and a half. My problem is that I don't want to start and have an odd situation come up and no one has encountered it. What all needs to be changed and what needs to be left alone. I hear about so many ways to do the swap but it just makes me wonder which way is best. I have 2 87 Turbo computers along with boost control solenoids, turbos, E6 manifolds, intercoolers, dual fans, oil cooler lines, and pretty much everything. I basicly would like someone who has done the swap to help me out with like a check off list of parts and mods that need to be done before the motor is put in. I need advice and thats why I haven't started. Any suggestions about wiring, fuel pressure, timing, intercooler, and anything else about what and what not to wire. Any help from the 2.3 turbo gear headz would be appreciated. I can't wait to know what its like boosting in a Fourced Four Mustang.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey

I would like to know if any of the members that have viewed this thread might have any insight into my questions concering the turbo swap. Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to get this motor going. :tongue

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I assume the car was an FI car to start with?
Did you change over the fuel pump to a high pressure pump? If not, drop the tank and install a Walbro 255 lpr pump. You can get these all over the place on the web. Just do a search.
As long as you have all the sensors hooked up, run with it. Make sure you have the engine talking to the dashboard. Do you have a boost gage to monitor boost pressure. If not, get one and hook it to the vacuum tree.
I would get a Gillis valve to control boost.
You had better run good-read-GOOD gas with 104 octane boost (black bottle).
A good book to have is "Ford Fuel Injection 1980-1987" by Charles Probst. It will explain thibgs more in depth, and include the EEC-IV diagram for the year of your component choice. The link here is more than I paid for it, but at least you will get a reference on what I am steering you towards. Check with a Barnes and Noble. If they don't have it, they can order it, or search elsewhere. Happy hunting
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=GFF8

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.