Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!
I am currently driving a stock 2002 V6 Mustang and would like to turbo the car just for the sake of getting some more power out of the car. This is my first car, so it has quite a bit of sentimental value to me. I have looked at buying a 2004 Mustang GT but there are so many of those around my town that are bone stock as well. It would be a shame if I.... made about 40 More HP (to the wheels!) than they did. I currently am building up a list of parts to swap into my car. I do understand that I would probably be better off buying a GT and mod it and leave the v6 alone. But it's something I'm fairly dead set on doing and I will accomplish it either way. I have a few shops near me that can help me out with doing everything. But I have a few questions about what I need to have done first. It is my daily driver and I would like to keep it as that, but have about 300 HP (190 Stock Hp is what I believe it has at the moment).

I was looking throughout American Muscle and a few other sites for parts to start looking at. I already have an IHIT turbo that used to be on a 2006 WRX STI. It is rebuilt already and ready to put on. I am looking at putting shorty headers (or pulling headers off a 95-98? GT I believe they were shorty as well) with a set of Pypes OffRoad or Pypes with Cats, I have a turbo timer from my old CRX (Single turbo 88 CRX) but I do not have an electronic boost controller anymore (stolen from the CRX). I Was thinking about just using the blow off and getting an electronic boost controller if I needed to make more 350 HP. But at that point I would have ported and polished the car. As well as bigger injectors and what ever so parts that I need to make this setup work. I will be taking the turbo off every 10-15k miles and cleaning it and checking to see if it needs to be rebuilt again or no (Turbo has 40k miles on it).

Would I need to flash the ECU (I was thinking about getting a Plug and Play ECU)

Do I need to do anything to the rear end? I would prefer not to but If need be I will. I currently have a new clutch to be installed into my vehicle. I am going to get the flywheel done and then put the new clutch kit in.

What amount of boost is good for getting only about 80-100 HP out of the vehicle? I don't want to push the car to hard. I've read that 4-6 lbs. of boost can easily give out 80-100 but how true is that?

I am trying to make the car look as stock as possible aside from the dual exhaust in the back. But I do want to lower the car just a little bit and upgrade the overall handling of the vehicle. Any suggested CO kit for lowering?

Also, a friend told me that he put a whole GT Brake set (the 2k one from AM I believe) onto a V6 mustang the other day. I am fairly sure it's possible. But would it be necessary?

Please don't flail me.
And if you do tell me to buy a v8.
I'll say No.

Thanks for the help and replies to come guys/gals!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Hello Everyone!
I am currently driving a stock 2002 V6 Mustang and would like to turbo the car just for the sake of getting some more power out of the car. This is my first car, so it has quite a bit of sentimental value to me. I have looked at buying a 2004 Mustang GT but there are so many of those around my town that are bone stock as well. It would be a shame if I.... made about 40 More HP (to the wheels!) than they did. I currently am building up a list of parts to swap into my car. I do understand that I would probably be better off buying a GT and mod it and leave the v6 alone. But it's something I'm fairly dead set on doing and I will accomplish it either way. I have a few shops near me that can help me out with doing everything. But I have a few questions about what I need to have done first. It is my daily driver and I would like to keep it as that, but have about 300 HP (190 Stock Hp is what I believe it has at the moment).

I was looking throughout American Muscle and a few other sites for parts to start looking at. I already have an IHIT turbo that used to be on a 2006 WRX STI. It is rebuilt already and ready to put on. I am looking at putting shorty headers (or pulling headers off a 95-98? GT I believe they were shorty as well) with a set of Pypes OffRoad or Pypes with Cats, I have a turbo timer from my old CRX (Single turbo 88 CRX) but I do not have an electronic boost controller anymore (stolen from the CRX). I Was thinking about just using the blow off and getting an electronic boost controller if I needed to make more 350 HP. But at that point I would have ported and polished the car. As well as bigger injectors and what ever so parts that I need to make this setup work. I will be taking the turbo off every 10-15k miles and cleaning it and checking to see if it needs to be rebuilt again or no (Turbo has 40k miles on it).

Would I need to flash the ECU (I was thinking about getting a Plug and Play ECU)

Do I need to do anything to the rear end? I would prefer not to but If need be I will. I currently have a new clutch to be installed into my vehicle. I am going to get the flywheel done and then put the new clutch kit in.

What amount of boost is good for getting only about 80-100 HP out of the vehicle? I don't want to push the car to hard. I've read that 4-6 lbs. of boost can easily give out 80-100 but how true is that?

I am trying to make the car look as stock as possible aside from the dual exhaust in the back. But I do want to lower the car just a little bit and upgrade the overall handling of the vehicle. Any suggested CO kit for lowering?

Also, a friend told me that he put a whole GT Brake set (the 2k one from AM I believe) onto a V6 mustang the other day. I am fairly sure it's possible. But would it be necessary?

Please don't flail me.
And if you do tell me to buy a v8.
I'll say No.

Thanks for the help and replies to come guys/gals!

What are you going to do about the turbo plumbing? I'm no expert but won't the turbo tie into the header? If so I don't think I'd buy a set of headers until you have the rest of the turbo stuff.
As far as suspension, why coil covers? Save a buck and get a set of stiffer springs and struts along with better rear control arms.
For the how much psi o'boost, I gained a little over 100 hp to the wheels in a 302 w a centrifugal supercharger that's rated at 6-8 lbs. Prior to tuning it was so lean that the same kit only gained 30 hp.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
(Ill just interject this one item)

Dont waste your money on "gt" brakes. Ford used the same set up on every v6 and gt. There wasnt a gt rotor or a v6 caliper. Ford classified it as a "cobra" or "non-cobra".

Save that money and buy an actual turbo kit with 2 turbos. Dont single turbo it youll regret it. Or imho id do a 3.5 setup where the turbos bolt to the manifolds and are piped in that fashion.

If you want the car to handle better find the stock front and rear sway bars from a gt and use them, and buy adjustable front struts and lowering springs ( i bought ebiach specifically for v6s) they handle amazing. Coil overs are for it you need more room or have so much money you have no sense. I mainly say that because if you get coil overs you will have to reinforce the shock mounts as they are too weak to handle the weight of the vehicle on them, eventually they will poke through. Also look into an 8.8 swap with higher gears. That will improve the acceleration greatly over stock. good luck.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts

Dont waste your money on "gt" brakes. Ford used the same set up on every v6 and gt. There wasnt a gt rotor or a v6 caliper. Ford classified it as a "cobra" or "non-cobra".

Save that money and buy an actual turbo kit with 2 turbos. Dont single turbo it youll regret it. Or imho id do a 3.5 setup where the turbos bolt to the manifolds and are piped in that fashion.

If you want the car to handle better find the stock front and rear sway bars from a gt and use them, and buy adjustable front struts and lowering springs ( i bought ebiach specifically for v6s) they handle amazing. Coil overs are for it you need more room or have so much money you have no sense. I mainly say that because if you get coil overs you will have to reinforce the shock mounts as they are too weak to handle the weight of the vehicle on them, eventually they will poke through. Also look into an 8.8 swap with higher gears. That will improve the acceleration greatly over stock. good luck.

He means numerically higher gears. But I wouldn't go to "high" if you're going to go turbo, you'll run out of rpm's too quick w out any speed behind it. When he says greatly improved acceleration over stock he means a possible hundredth or two in the 1/4 mile if the stars align (it might feel a little quicker though since you'll hit redline sooner). I'd save the gear money and put it towards the turbo first. After that if you feel you need a steeper gear then I'd do it. If you were to do a gear swap now you'd still be slow and have $500 less in your pocket.
Are you a fabrication guy or have you found the piping yet that will make the wrx turbo plumb into your mustang?
Screw a turbo timer. If you're worried about heat time it yourself and let it idle a minute before you shut it off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys I'm back!

He means numerically higher gears. But I wouldn't go to "high" if you're going to go turbo, you'll run out of rpm's too quick w out any speed behind it. When he says greatly improved acceleration over stock he means a possible hundredth or two in the 1/4 mile if the stars align (it might feel a little quicker though since you'll hit redline sooner). I'd save the gear money and put it towards the turbo first. After that if you feel you need a steeper gear then I'd do it. If you were to do a gear swap now you'd still be slow and have $500 less in your pocket.
Are you a fabrication guy or have you found the piping yet that will make the wrx turbo plumb into your mustang?
Screw a turbo timer. If you're worried about heat time it yourself and let it idle a minute before you shut it off.

What are you going to do about the turbo plumbing? I'm no expert but won't the turbo tie into the header? If so I don't think I'd buy a set of headers until you have the rest of the turbo stuff.
As far as suspension, why coil covers? Save a buck and get a set of stiffer springs and struts along with better rear control arms.
For the how much psi o'boost, I gained a little over 100 hp to the wheels in a 302 w a centrifugal supercharger that's rated at 6-8 lbs. Prior to tuning it was so lean that the same kit only gained 30 hp.

Hey guys!
Sorry if I quoted all of you incorrectly (Tried to multiquote everyone but I don't know if it worked or not.)

I do have quite a bit of experience but I don't have my own equipment. I have a friend that is willing to help me with most of the piping for the turbo. Since I work most of the day and barely have enough time to sleep at the moment. Right now its going to be $1500-2000 to get all of the custom piping done, with a rebuild kit for the turbo. I wanted coil over kits because a friend of mine has them in his GT and his car has a very good look overall. That would probably be the only modification to assist with the visuals except the Dual exhaust, but we'll see about going with the struts.

I was thinking about doing a twin setup but that would be more cost and I would not be doing much racing (moving soon). It will be my daily driver. I will eventually find a SN95 and I will rebuild the 4.6 and twin turbo that given enough time and money. But a single turbo for now will be more than enough for me (I will probably minimize the piping needed to reduce turbo lag). Thinking about going to the junk yard to find parts from a GT sooner or later but we shall see. Not that many junk yards in my area. I was thinking about getting a 8.8 and doing 3.73 gears (that magical number). Loose some gas mileage but It'll be a bit more fun.

I have a freind that is willing to do all of it for me for relatively cheap. And I was thinking about using my turbo timer because I would be able to take my keys and leave it running and let it auto die after a minute or two. I understand that i would run out of RPMS to quick. If it ran well enough after the turbo I was going to get it ported and polished and retuned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TMA Turbo Kit would be the answer. He fabricates a single turbo setup specifically for the 3.8 that clears everything so you don't have to relocate a bunch of stuff. I think you gotta relocate the battery or something like that but nothing major. He does a twin setup too but you'll have to relocate a lot more stuff under the hood.

I've seen numerous people running 17 PSI with his single turbo kit and making 700HP to the wheels. With a turbo 6-8 lbs should at least get you 300HP. They also have a procharger kit on American Muscle for 5 grand if you want to try that. That will get you to 300HP easily with an 8 PSI pulley, full exhaust, and bolt-ons.

You might want to swap out the 7.5 rear for an 8.8 if you want to run 300HP. The 7.5 might take it, I'm not sure, but you'll be pushing it around its limits so be mindful of that. You could buy the Auburn Posi for the 7.5, which will strengthen it, but for that price you could probably find a used 8.8 on Craigslist or a junkyard. It's entirely up to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TMA Out of business?

TMA Turbo Kit would be the answer. He fabricates a single turbo setup specifically for the 3.8 that clears everything so you don't have to relocate a bunch of stuff. I think you gotta relocate the battery or something like that but nothing major. He does a twin setup too but you'll have to relocate a lot more stuff under the hood.

I've seen numerous people running 17 PSI with his single turbo kit and making 700HP to the wheels. With a turbo 6-8 lbs should at least get you 300HP. They also have a procharger kit on American Muscle for 5 grand if you want to try that. That will get you to 300HP easily with an 8 PSI pulley, full exhaust, and bolt-ons.

You might want to swap out the 7.5 rear for an 8.8 if you want to run 300HP. The 7.5 might take it, I'm not sure, but you'll be pushing it around its limits so be mindful of that. You could buy the Auburn Posi for the 7.5, which will strengthen it, but for that price you could probably find a used 8.8 on Craigslist or a junkyard. It's entirely up to you.

I thought TMA ran out of business a few years ago? I just looked all over and went back to their site and it's still reserved but not active.
And yeah I've been looking for a swap at local yards but haven't been able to find anything (odd I know) I was thinking of the SC but I would be able to TT my mustang with 5k since I have 1 turbo and can easily acquire the other from a friend.

With that much PSI did they get their engine ported/polished w/ High flow exhaust, what other aftermarket parts were there? I would be interested in making 700HP but 300-350 is good enough for now (I also am moving to Florida here within the next few months.

But Another update!!!!
Getting ready to get the exhaust done right now, going to be custom from a shop and seeing what they can do about fabricating some stuff for the turbo(s) (That's going to have to wait a few months due to moving and having to drive to a few other states for family visits)

After that we will see which direction I go for lowering the car a few inches (to get rid of that gap that we all see at the wheels). And then I'll be leaving the rest of the exterior Stock, but the interior will be changed up a little bit. Trying to reupholster the seats, and get a 7 inch tablet done on the console. Yes I know it's a bit much but If I can think it I'll find a way to do it! :D

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
One thing to remember.. dont take your engine above 4000rpm with those turbos. Your stock engine can barely handle 4500 if im not mistaken. The connecting rods will bend from moving so fast(thats the reason our motors have a low redline is due to that small detail. Good luck keep us posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Redline max? $75 for a 302 Block?!?!?!

One thing to remember.. dont take your engine above 4000rpm with those turbos. Your stock engine can barely handle 4500 if im not mistaken. The connecting rods will bend from moving so fast(thats the reason our motors have a low redline is due to that small detail. Good luck keep us posted.

The redline on mine is at 5000, I've only had to go over 4 while trying to get out of the way of traffic (and that random "oops I forgot what gear I just put the car in here's 5k revs for ya") Most of the time I run up to 3.5k revs and then shift depending on traffic, how late I am to work, etc. But other than that I generally keep it between 2 and 3k.

Well I talked with the shop that was going to make a custom dual exhaust for me and they said they can only get both of the mufflers in 2 1/4 and not 2 1/2. Most of the time on AM I see that 2 1/2 is what all of the dual exhaust for v6 is. I'd rather not do 2 1/4 (2.25) because I feel that would be a bit to quiet for me. so right now I'm thinking about getting a Pypes Y to dual exhaust bolt on or a Pypes H-Pipe to Dual exhaust. Any tips? And any thoughts on getting a used 302 block? A friend is selling one now for $75, says it ran fine until one of his piston skirts cracked. Other than that engine works fine (what he said).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few parts bought!

Sooo, AM just had a "Private" sale on their website for V6 Mustangs! ohh some of the stuff there was good, so I got some, but not all of it!

I just got, a CAI, Caster camber plates, MMD Bolt on Hood Strut kit, A clutch adjuster kit, And 1inch wheel spacers. I did not get any of the other aesthetics, (Raixcom lights, smoked lights).

I am currently selling off my truck so I can move (getting stationed down in Florida) and I can only take one car... but yeah, it's slowly but surely getting there. I may even be able to trade the truck for some auto work on my car. Well see! *calls them right after*.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts