Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I got 7,000 to spend on my car I'm thinking about ordering a hp performance turbo kit and doin all of the nessary stuff like a 8.8 and other stuff but the car is my daily driver and I drive any were from 50 to 100 miles a day is it a good idea to do this...quick response would be apericated cause I'm ready to beat some v8s :bounce2: and I might just order it tomorrow

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think the X charger Supercharger is a better way to go. They seem to be a proven way to get lots of additional HP. Also, I always associate a Turbo with lag time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know what kind of power they put down from what iv seen a turbo kit will put down 350+ rwhp and 430+ rwtq and the lag shouldnt be to bad should it

·
Registered
226 Posts
if your gonna get a turbo get a rear mounted one. they sound awesome!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true but all it would take is person with a hacksaw and some time wile i was in walmart and then its gone lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
the lag will be bad unless you go with a twin turbo setup, i'd advise an xcharger xtreme ($5970). The xchargers are very reasonably priced with great instructions and include larger fuel pumps etc. The regular xcharger (4500) produces 330 rwhp, and the extreme is intercooled, and uses a different pulley so you can run higher boost, making even more power. In addition to a new rear end, a new drive shaft wouldn't be a bad idea. People have good things to say about shaftmasters (450). With forced induction, a ported throttle body may be beneficial as well. Zabteck will do ours for 400. Also, if you're upgrading to an 8.8 inch rear end, a Swarr Bar (260) will help keep it from bouncing around. Oh and if you supercharge traction will be a biznatch, so you may look into lower control arms and an adjustable upper control arm. J&M makes good control arms, or so people say. I couldn't help but notice your lowering springs as well. It may be wise to invest in aftermarket shocks so you don't wear out the ones you've got. The tokico d-specs seem to be pretty popular. Of course, if you're doing that you should also get camber plates and a bumpsteer kit. I'll stop being mod crazy now haha:kooky:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can't believe the poor advice and misinformation in this thread!

1. There will be no lag and the torque will come on just as strong as an X-Charger with a properly sized and setup single turbo. I would go with the Powerhouse kit if I was doing this.

2. The rear mounted turbos have proven to have a ton of issues. A real nasty one is they tend to draw in water on rainy days which as you can imagine is very bad.

3. The X-Charger does not come with a larger fuel pump. The stock one has plenty of capacity for it as is.

4. The turbo is capable of putting out considerably more power than the X-Charger but the down side is there have been a lot more engines failures with turbos. Not to mention there are quite a few more thing to go wrong or wear out with the turbo and the install is much more involved.

Bottom line if you are going for max power and aren't worried if you may blow up your engine a turbo is the way to go. If you want better reliability with a very large increase in power the X-Charger would be a better choice. I personally have 140,000 miles on my Mustang with 110,000 miles on the X-Charger. Just saying...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice everyone and I ordered the hp performance kit it comes with turbo intercooler injectors fuel pump the hole 9 yards and upr adjustable upper and lower rear control arms, new gt shocks, 8.8 rear end, gonna get custom tune and gauges and dash pod...I thought of the superchargers but I think a turbo would be wild and very unique not many turbo mustangs or at lest none around were I live

·
Registered
531 Posts
cool post a video so we could here how it sounds :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O ya there gonna be videos and pics it might be a wile cause I have to wait for every thing to come in and then put on but it will happen eventually

·
Registered
226 Posts
I can't believe the poor advice and misinformation in this thread!

1. There will be no lag and the torque will come on just as strong as an X-Charger with a properly sized and setup single turbo. I would go with the Powerhouse kit if I was doing this.

2. The rear mounted turbos have proven to have a ton of issues. A real nasty one is they tend to draw in water on rainy days which as you can imagine is very bad.

3. The X-Charger does not come with a larger fuel pump. The stock one has plenty of capacity for it as is.

4. The turbo is capable of putting out considerably more power than the X-Charger but the down side is there have been a lot more engines failures with turbos. Not to mention there are quite a few more thing to go wrong or wear out with the turbo and the install is much more involved.

Bottom line if you are going for max power and aren't worried if you may blow up your engine a turbo is the way to go. If you want better reliability with a very large increase in power the X-Charger would be a better choice. I personally have 140,000 miles on my Mustang with 110,000 miles on the X-Charger. Just saying...
hey i was just saying the rear mounted turbos sound awesome ;)
personally i would go with an x-charger because i am not saying turbos aren't reliable but there has to be a reason the shelby terlingua uses a supercharger..

·
Registered
217 Posts
hey i was just saying the rear mounted turbos sound awesome ;)
personally i would go with an x-charger because i am not saying turbos aren't reliable but there has to be a reason the shelby terlingua uses a supercharger..
No problem...Just wanted to point that out.

I actually met the guy that designed the Shelby Terlingua at the Shelby plant in Las Vegas. He was interested in my transmission conversion. He took my Mustang for a run and couldn't get over how much better the low end torque was with the X-Charger as compared to the Paxton/Vortech they use on the Terlingua. He did mention that the Paxton/Vortech had much more power on the top end but this was before I had upgraded to the intercooled X-Charger which closed that gap considerably!

·
Registered
226 Posts
No problem...Just wanted to point that out.

I actually met the guy that designed the Shelby Terlingua at the Shelby plant in Las Vegas. He was interested in my transmission conversion. He took my Mustang for a run and couldn't get over how much better the low end torque was with the X-Charger as compared to the Paxton/Vortech they use on the Terlingua. He did mention that the Paxton/Vortech had much more power on the top end but this was before I had upgraded to the intercooled X-Charger which closed that gap considerably!
what did you do to your transmission?
i might be getting a xcharger in feb.. only thing that i am kinda worried about is that my cars has like 75k miles now, and by than maybe 90 or more who knows .. i just don't wanna blow her up

·
Registered
217 Posts
what did you do to your transmission?
i might be getting a xcharger in feb.. only thing that i am kinda worried about is that my cars has like 75k miles now, and by than maybe 90 or more who knows .. i just don't wanna blow her up
I designed an adapter kit that lets you put a GT TR3650 5-Speed or GT500 TR6060 6-Speed in a 2005-2010 4.0 V6. I put the 6-Speed in mine. Shelby was interested in this because they were breaking a lot of transmissions with the Terlingua.

I wouldn't worry to much about mileage as long as you have maintained your Mustang with regular oil changes. I have 140,000 miles on mine with 110,000 miles on the X-Charger and I pound the crap out of it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
oh nice.. i got an auto so :(
a manual would be fun but hey its what i got so cant change it lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
oh nice.. i got an auto so :(
a manual would be fun but hey its what i got so cant change it lol
Actually it can be changed and some guys have done that both ways. Auto to manual and manual to auto.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You may want to build that engine a little if you're going to be cranking out 350/430!

Personally, I dont get spending that $7K on a 4 year old car (and I assume higher miles since you drive 50-100miles per day) that will get you to about 350rwhp and possibly blow apart your engine, unless you plan on keeping for a long time.

Beating a GT is fun and all, but at the end of the day, is it worth it?

You could have traded up for an 11+ 5.0 or 3.7. The 5.0 gives you more HP stock than you'll (safely) get from that turbo. The 3.7 is a huge improvment over the 4.0 in terms of HP and easy to mod. Plus both have better interior, six speed transmissions, upgraded technology, etc etc.

I really hope you plan on keeping your car long enough to get the $7000 worth of added acceleration out of it. :yup:

And know when you go to trade it in, you will either get nothing extra or actually lose money because of the Turbo.

That said, good luck, and I'm sure you'll love that turbo:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey, would someone be able to provide a link on the hp performance turbo for the v6, i can only find one for the GT mustang....<?>

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You may want to build that engine a little if you're going to be cranking out 350/430!

Personally, I dont get spending that $7K on a 4 year old car (and I assume higher miles since you drive 50-100miles per day) that will get you to about 350rwhp and possibly blow apart your engine, unless you plan on keeping for a long time.

Beating a GT is fun and all, but at the end of the day, is it worth it?

You could have traded up for an 11+ 5.0 or 3.7. The 5.0 gives you more HP stock than you'll (safely) get from that turbo. The 3.7 is a huge improvment over the 4.0 in terms of HP and easy to mod. Plus both have better interior, six speed transmissions, upgraded technology, etc etc.

I really hope you plan on keeping your car long enough to get the $7000 worth of added acceleration out of it. :yup:

And know when you go to trade it in, you will either get nothing extra or actually lose money because of the Turbo.

That said, good luck, and I'm sure you'll love that turbo:bigthumbsup
It has 85,000 miles on it and my plans are to make this one fast and keep it seeing how this is my first car and iv had it since 08 and wen I get out of collage I'll go out and buy me a 5.0 or something and still have my turbo v6 to play with

1 - 20 of 23 Posts