Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I was at a light and when I went to go the car almost stalled, but didn’t... first time it has done this. Then while on the same drive, I had to make a U turn, while pulling off to the shoulder my stereo had shut right off, by headlights dimmed to almost off, my gauge lights dimmed as well. I had noticed at that time my battery indicator was going crazy, like a dog’s tail. The car did not stall, but I had thrown it in neutral and gave it a rev, the car came back to normal. After that every time I had to stop I had to put it in neutral to stop the battery from dropping - and I mean it drops so much it kills my lights and radio. It seemed neutral kept it running fine, even with the stereo on. The next morning, yesterday, I went to start it and absolutely nothing happened when I turned the key, no noise, no lights, I couldn't even manually turn on the interior lights. I had to leave so I took my mum's van. When I got back home I tried to start it again and it fired right up, go figure. So the next morning, today, it started fine again but when I got to my first intersection it hesitated when I went to turn, and my indicator was clicking faster than normal and the little green arrow wasn't lit up like usual. The indicator now works, but when I was almost home I stopped at the post office and got the mail, when I got back out to my car it didn't do anything when I went to start it. I got out and looked at the battery; I didn't see anything so I just wiggled the wires going to the battery. It fired on my second try, I immediately went to the hardware store and bought some new battery connectors and have just put them on only 15 minutes ago, it seemed to help, it fires good and had no problems with my stereo or gauge yet, but I’ve only tested it out for 10 minutes so. I hope the battery connectors were the problem, but I figured I'd ask on here since I'm lost on what the problem could be?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to include as much as possible for better understanding of what’s happening.

Danny

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi Danny, welcome!

I sounds like you got it figured out. It's amazing the kind of havoc corroded cables and bad grounds can cause.

I see you're from Sutton, Ontario. That's up near Toronto isn't it?
I'm from Sarnia.

Post some info on your 'stang!

Cheers,
-Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Jay, your right. Sutton is about 50 minutes north of Toronto. Forgot to say my stangs info, it is a 1994 Gt, 200,000km, auto, stock other than air silencer removal. It's got quite a lot of damage though, I went into a ditch with it about 2 years ago, down hill with bald tires in the rain, a bit of stupidity but I had just got the car at that time and didn't know how it drove. I wasn't going fast at the time and it is mostly scrapes and a few cracks in the bumpers and a fog light is gone, which I would really like to find a set of used ones. Most of the damage happened this month, a lady made a left turn from the right lane and had turned left in to my rear quarter panel and wheel, I was in the left lane. So it is pretty dented there. My stang doesn't look the best but I like it, it's my first car. It's green/tan. Anyway, that’s my stang, love it. But I hope it was just my connections, like you had said.

Thanks jay,

Danny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.