Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '65 Mustang Coupe 200 and have recently been experiencing problems with my turn signals. When the headlights are off, both turn signals work fine. They blink on and off like they should and the green dash indicator light blinks as well. But when I turn on the headlights, only the right turn signal works. The left turn signal will come on but does not blink. Also the green indicatolight will light up, but not blink. I have recently replaced my turn signal wiring inside the steering column. My neighbor is not sure but thinks that It could possibly be the headlight switch? Any responses would greatly appreciated. Thanks!! Tom

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello. :) It certainly could be the headlight switch. If the turn signals all work correctly with the headlights off, it isn't the turn signal switch. Fortunately, the headlight switches are cheap, readily available and easy to replace. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You Veronica!! I will take your advice and give it a shot. I will let you know how I make out............Tom

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hang on, put that blinker on, go into the trunk, and wiggle the black boot on the taillight and see if the taillight starts blinking like it should. I've had to do that once or twice. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Veronica & Mike, I want to thank you both for the advice about the turn signals and headlights. Unfortunately Veronica, the headlight switch was not the problem. I went to autozone today and bought a new one for $24.99 and tried it but it continued with the same problem. The good news is that I was able to take it back and get my money back. Mike, I will try your idea tomorrow morning before I head out to the Hanover, Pa. "Chicken Run" car show. This is the big show here in Hanover. I did buy new taillight buckets and replaced them after the car was painted. I will try playing with the black rubber boot that plugs into the light and see if that works. If this doesn't work, I will be back for some more advice or suggestions. Thank you both again for your time and interest in this mind boggling dilema....................Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Mike, what part of Pa. are you from? Where is Moon township? Just curious if its near the south central part of Pa......Tom

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Moon Township is out by the Pittsburgh International Airport. And if you have more questions about the lights, we'll be more than happy to try and help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Veronica and Mike, I finally got the problem solved with the turn signals and headlights. It was not the headlight switch. It was not the flasher nor the rubber boot that plugs into the taillight housing. It was the bulb socket that the 1157 bulb plugs into that was messed up. The blinker works fine now!! :bigthumbsup
I just wanted to thank you both for taking the time to help me with this problem. I know who to come to with the next problem. Thank you guy's so much!!.........Tom
P.S. Veronica, you answered a few questions for me about 3 years ago when I first joined this site. Thank you again!! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts