Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion as to what is going bad on my car or about to go bad. I have a 95 5.0 and when i crank the car it has got to where is will sit there and turn for a lil bit b4 it actually cranks and something i have to try twice to get it to crank. The problem has just started recently. I didn't know it was maybe the starter.Or if it was the fuel pump because when i hit the gas a few times it seems to help. Car has a new fuel filter.Car has 119,000 miles, engine top and bottom rebulit at 110,000 miles (new rods, pistons, ported/ported heads and all that). Things such as the starter, fuel pump, injectors, water pump are all still original. Was planning on putting bigger injectors and fuel pump though anyways before long. Just wondering if anyone could help me with this. thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
slow crank or fast crank

·
Registered
253 Posts
is the problem more evident after you have driven the car and it is still warm?? if so it sounds like a starter problem. due yourself a favor and get a new starter and starter solenoid, ford racing makes a good high torque mine starter that i recommend

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
pretty much has been doing it everytime i crank it.....thanks for the info. I was already banking on having to replace those things anyways.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Any good auto parts store has a starter tester that amoung other things, tests the current draw of the starter.

Make sure all your connections are clean too. Excessive resistence caused by dirt between connections can cause your symptoms.

Those Ford high torque starters are VERY common and fit many Ford models. I'd buy the cheapest one you can find if your is bad. The design is very good and simple.

If you plan on keeping the car forever and will add serious mods consider a pro-torque starter. Different design, but unaffected by heat and have superior electronics.

BUT! It may be something else! Again, take it to Autozone or another autoparts chain. They will pull the codes for free. The problem you describe might be caused by a loose wire or bad sensor. For instance a bad coolant sensor will result in an overly rich condition hot or cold and not trigger your check engine light. That will cause a hard start problem, but it is only one of many possible solutions.

Why did you replace the battery? A weak alternator may take months to completely fail and cause the same symptoms.

Again, the test you can get at your parts store for free can tell you if the chargeing system is OK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.