Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know that turning off TCS before a take-off would make that much of a difference. I turned it off yesterday for the first time and felt like i released some serious hp. My baby really took off. Scared the crap out of me. For all you street racers, make sure you do this before taking on any1.

PS Not condoning racing or anything, but if you're gunna do it, do it right I guess:thumbsup

·
Registered
263 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
I didn't know that turning off TCS before a take-off would make that much of a difference. I turned it off yesterday for the first time and felt like i released some serious hp. My baby really took off. Scared the crap out of me. For all you street racers, make sure you do this before taking on any1.

PS Not condoning racing or anything, but if you're gunna do it, do it right I guess:thumbsup
From what I understand, as soon as the tires start slipping, the ECU (TCS) will start retarding the fuel and timing in order to bring the power down until the tires can get some traction.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hmm I'm no mechanical guru dude by any stretch but I thought TCS worked by applying the brake to the spinning wheel? Would'nt less wheel spin equate to a better launch? I dunno, just a thought.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My dealer told me to turn it off when not needed. And by the way, does everybody have a low rumble until about 5 m.p.h. whenever you take off? It's kind of like I have snow tires for the first 6 feet. I only have 220 miles on the G.T.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tastyone said:
Hmm I'm no mechanical guru dude by any stretch but I thought TCS worked by applying the brake to the spinning wheel? Would'nt less wheel spin equate to a better launch? I dunno, just a thought.
No braking, it is all in the fuel / air / timing mix. As fot turning off the TCS, I just turn it off when I need to ensure that the power will not be shut down for me automatically...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dea. R&E said:
My dealer told me to turn it off when not needed. And by the way, does everybody have a low rumble until about 5 m.p.h. whenever you take off? It's kind of like I have snow tires for the first 6 feet. I only have 220 miles on the G.T.
What do you mean by a low rumble?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I had the tcs off the other day after a little rain storm. I did an unexpected 180º w/ very little gas. It snapped back straight, but I was shocked.

·
Registered
186 Posts
nbk13nw said:
From what I understand, as soon as the tires start slipping, the ECU (TCS) will start retarding the fuel and timing in order to bring the power down until the tires can get some traction.
Ive read a couple things saying the TC has some leway on the mustang and dry pavement. For running around town I have always left it on and spun my tires pretty good without it kicking in. Had it happen only to me once where it kicked in for a second. The message center flashed a message telling me it was enabled, went off pretty quick since the tires caught quickly, but that was actually the first time it ever came on for me. I did turn it off when at the track last night though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is there a way to have it default to OFF everytime you start the car, some GM's have it as well and you have to put the TCS ON, not OFF like in our stangs?

·
Registered
886 Posts
on dry pavement I can launch first hard enough to spin the back tires and get wheel hop with the TCS ON:evillol: It will also kick the back end out if you punch it in a tight corner. :shiny: A little opposite lock and it comes right back in, very well balanced. In the rain, however, the TCS is much more aggressive - which is fine with me.

I don't believe simply turning it off can increase HP at all, since it only comes on in HARD tire spin. I know it is a 4 channel sensor system - as in has sensors on the front wheels too. I think it mainly looks at conditions that would cause a spin, not straight line stuff.
An ideal drag launch is maximum torque applied with minimum tire spin, usually achieved at the point where it's just slipping a little in the real world.
now, I may be wrong here, but.... If the TCS is limiting you in a straight line launch, aren't you launching WAY too loose? It doesn't kick in before the tires are spinning hard. There's no way to apply more power (and have it stick) without the TCS than with it... or am I missing something?:confused:

·
Registered
167 Posts
sonny1213 said:
I had the tcs off the other day after a little rain storm. I did an unexpected 180º w/ very little gas. It snapped back straight, but I was shocked.
...and this should tell you that having TCS on is a good thing !!! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
After reading this post yesterday, I ran with TCS off today. Made a big difference with my auto tranny. The tranny shifted better and the thortle response was snappy. The test came when I was comming home. I punched it getting on to the interstate and the trans downshifted in a snap. With it on, the car would "think" for about a second or two on what it wants to do, then it kicks you in the pants. Much nicer with it off.:winks

I do like it on when it's wet. I've had the backend try to slide out on a wet turn when it just cuts back the power so you can keep it in line.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would never take it off when it's raining either. Is it possible that TCS prevents slippage before the tires spin? In other words, if the computer sees a rapid jump in RPMS, would it maybe decrease engine power/fuel cuz it knows the tires are going to spin? If this isn't the case, maybe it's all in our heads that we get more power when we turn TCS off. I hear lots of people turn it off when they go to the track, so it makes you wonder....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have also notice the differance on my v6 er with the TCS off it runs kinda smooth and when you go to punch it you can get going with it on (TCS ) its kinda a split sec then you feel the go . Another thing I've also notice the throttle sounds real responsive with it off I've got a single 40 flow and give it gas sounds real open ..But rain I'll be having that TCS on

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
things that make you go hhhhmmmm...

When I bought my GT Vert, during the test drive, the salesman immediately turned the TCS off, claiming you get a couple extra usable ponies with it off. At the time, I thought the salesamn was being a saleman, but with actual practice, I have discovered a little extra umph with the TCS off as opposed to the TCS on. I guess my saleman knew what he was talking about.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PHATTZZ STANG said:
Read the manual it tells you you get more power with it off.

goshhhhh !! :sterb:
Are you being sarcastic? I looked through the TCS section and it just says it cuts power when the wheels begin to slip. Nothing about power.

·
Registered
305 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
Are you being sarcastic? I looked through the TCS section and it just says it cuts power when the wheels begin to slip. Nothing about power.
ummmmmmmm ok

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have noticed the rumble when just starting out. To me it sounds more like a deep whine. It is more noticable, happens more frequently, when the AC is on. I am assuming this happens only with the manual tranny, which I have.

·
Registered
120 Posts
brandobama said:
I have noticed the rumble when just starting out. To me it sounds more like a deep whine. It is more noticable, happens more frequently, when the AC is on. I am assuming this happens only with the manual tranny, which I have.
Did you reply to the wrong thread or did I miss something? ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts