Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1978 Mustang II Ghia 2.8L V6
Automatic 3 speed.

It'll turn over but will not fire 9/10 times. The tenth time it'll start but only for a few minutes before it dies.
>Distributor's been checked, it's fine.
>New Ignition Coil
>New Ignition System
>New Spark Plugs
>New Battery
>New Spark Plug Wires

>Going to buy a Carb kit
>Going to buy a Fusible Link

Any advice/suggestions for me?

·
Registered
698 Posts
What have you really checked? Are you just shotgunning . Just from your post would check ing switch "electrical side" befor throwing anymore $$ at her and hoping something sticks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've purchased a fusible link and an ignition coil; the coil I got before this problem arised because it need a new ignition coil, it was working then. That's all I've purchased, maybe 35$ between the two things. Everything new I didn't buy, it was new when I got the car.
When I got the car it was running fine; went to start it up one day and it just wouldn't fire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you checked the fuel filter or if the air filter is to tight on the Carb? And know the second thought sounds crazy, but I have seen where the air cleaner was to tight and the butterflies would open, killing the engine. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked the fuel filter or if the air filter is to tight on the Carb? And know the second thought sounds crazy, but I have seen where the air cleaner was to tight and the butterflies would open, killing the engine. Hope this helps.

Fuel filter is fine, and the air filter isn't to tight. Thanks for the suggestions though!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another thought. Have checked the timing? The reason I mention this is because the hold down on the distributor may not have been tight enough and now it's out of time. Give it a looksie and if that does it, I'all be able to sleep. Been driving me nuts because your not able to enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANK YOU for all suggestions and help! It's running again!
Some joints were sticking and stuck! A little WD-40 and it was good to go!
Easy fix :) :) :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts