Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Folks-

I recently sought out advice from you regarding whether to keep my totaled 2000 GT (my 18 yr old hit a parked car, should never have let him take it to the store, i know i know).

Based on everyone's input, as the engine is tip top with barely over 100K, I decided to keep it with the intent of finding a blown GT on CL and swapping out with some help from my more experienced buddies.

That being said, I found a solid ride to work with, another 2000 GT, tip top front to rear. Engine is seized (140K), but everything else is great. I'm still learning about Mustang parts, and was hoping maybe some of you could help me understand some of the items on the vehicle in question. It has:

Limited Slip w 3:73 Rear end gears
B&M Ripper Short Throw Shifter
K&N Cold Air Intake
Accufab 70mm Throttle Body
Dragon Polished Upper Intake Plenum
Underdrive Pulleys
BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers
2 1/2" H-Pipe with like new Magnaflow Catalytic Converters

Any input you'd take the time to provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Basically the guy has some bolt on mods to make the car go faster. All the mods are pretty good. Im not a big fan of underdrive pulleys though, although a lot of people like them. Other then that not bad:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
^ Agree with the above 100%. Regarding the pulleys, if they are Steeda which replaces the stock balancer (crank pulley) then keep them if you like; if they are "piggyback" then probably want to ditch them.... I have had a set of BBK piggybacks on my car for over 5 years now and not one single issue as a result, but going by others experiences it would appear that I'm lucky. Either way, it's kind of a worthless mod on our cars. But all the other stuff you mentioned is good and will transfer right over.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
One thing I want to add to my earlier post is regarding the headers...

LT headers, overall anyway are generally a worthwhile mod and nothing beats the sound they will produce. But.... They are a lot of work for the 10-15 rwhp gain they give you. An aftermarket tubular k-member will make that go easier though. Something else to consider as well, is should you ever need to drop the transmission to install a new clutch, you will also likely need to remove at least one of the headers in order to do so due to potential clearance issues. Personally I hate when jobs that should be relatively straighforward become a complete pain in the ass, which is definitely a risk you'll take if you use those headers. If it were me, I would sacrifice the small gains offered by those headers and instead opt to use the stock manifolds or some shorties; you could sell those headers and matching midpipe for a few hundred to help offset your costs and use the money elsewhere.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Dammit, it double-posted on me.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gentlemen, thanks

I REALLY appreciate you both taking the time to provide some input. Good info to have.

It's going to take me a few days to get to the car and tow it back home (4 hr drive), and it will sit in the garage for a few weeks while I line up my buddies and supplies. In the meantime, I'm going to start buying parts and whatnot while I wait.

I read some of the posts here regarding UDPs, and they mostly mirror both of your thoughts. I've read a couple that like them, a few that say kinda' "meh", and the rest are "avoid" for various reasons. Based on all I've read, I think I'd prefer to go without, but I did read a couple of posts (similar to yours) that stated steedas are fine. I think for a guy like myself who is starting to learn more about about performance, it may be safer for me not to trifle with such things. Any recommendations on what I should use to replace?

SoCaL, my intention is to have a new clutch on hand when we're ready to go. The seller says his is good, but I figure might as well drop the tranny and install a new clutch right off the bat, better safe than sorry. So, couple of questions around that- since I'm putting a new one in and if I go ahead and get the aftermarket tubular k-member, sounds like the LT headers are keepers. What should I be looking for in a clutch for this type of setup, btw?

Thanks again both of you for the guidance.

Phoo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts