Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm totally uneducated when it comes to audio in cars or audio in general. My speakers are starting to go and i still have the factory head unit in my car.

As I am finally tired of the stock stereo and speakers I want to upgrade to a quality setup. No super bass stuff just quality audio.

So far I've narrowed my items to:
Head Unit- Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS
all info here
Speakers- Pioneer TS-D6802R 6x8's
all info here

Here's my issue, now the speakers are 2way, i want to add some tweeters inside some empty Mach460's i have laying around. What kind of Tweeters should i add to these pods?

Will there be an issue with the sound using 2way speakers along with some tweeters in the Mach460 pods i have?

Any suggestions as for what i should do or if i should choose different components or add some?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I would just get component speakers. Mount the tweets in 460 pod and go full range in rear
This is what I did. The 5x7/6x8 component sets were pretty expensive. I settled on a 6.75" component setup and used adapter plates. I went with Alpine because the crossover is inline and did not need to be mounted like other setups.

The problem with adding tweeters to existing 2 ways is you have to make sure the total impedance is within the range of your head unit. A typical scenario would be two 4 ohm speakers in series would be 8 ohms and ok for most head units. Wired in parallel you would get 2 ohms which would fry most head units. Check your head unit specs and Google for more explanation.

Also with adding tweeters to two-ways, you may have a very strong high end. You should probably be able to compensate and reduce treble on the equalizer but then you'd have a very reduced treble in the rear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up just going with 6x9 stock size Pioneer 2 ways. Along with a new head unit. Sounds amazing but i get distortion after it goes so high.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts