Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if a small pipe between the two main twin exhaust pipes is necessary. My 65 289 hasn't got one. Had tune-up done recently and mechanic reckons I should have one fitted to equalize pressure or something. Car runs OK. Any opinions much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
It helps to balance the exhaust between the two banks. You could have one fabricated pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Is it necessary? No, it's not.

An H pipe or X pipe has been shown to increase power in the upper rpm ranges. If you're loking for power there, then it's certainly worth while. But for a simple daily driver with a stock engine, probably not worth the effort.

·
Registered
131 Posts
.boB makes a good point. Necessary...most certainly not, and you already have proof, as you say your car runs well. It will give power gains as .boB said so it becomes a question of whether the expense is worth the gain. Headers are good for around 10% hp gain so I would guess, and it's just a guess since I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, that an H or X pipe would get you maybe 1-3% at the top end of your power band.

Do a little research online, talk to fellow car nuts, etc. It comes down to "is it worth my money?"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That all sums it up for me thanks fellas. I was mainly worried it was restricting it in some way. Still, I'll get some headers when I can spare the cash & maybe get a "H" etc put in then. Very enlightening once again, much appreciated..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.