Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to modify my 70 under the hood, i want a twin turbo engine, but i have no idea where to start, im new to the mustang and im lost, can anyone please help me.

also if anyone can tell me how to put more torque in my car that'll be great

thanks

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
What setup are you running now? What trans? How to add torque depends on what you have to begin with. A twin turbo setup will be expensive to do, but will make monstrous amounts of power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
301 engine automatic transmission
it really doesnt matter the cost of a twin turbo
just a point in the right direction, what do i need

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I guess the most obvious thing would be a couple of turbos. Then you need special headers to mount the turbos. Then you need intake piping. Then an intercooler. Blow through carburetor (I think) or a box to mount the carburetor into or fuel injection (preferred for tuning).

Then you need forged dished pistons with a compression ratio of about 8.5:1. You know, just get an all-steel stroker kit rated for 700 hp. You'll also need a good valvetrain. Go full-roller (roller camshaft and rocker arms); this'll help power, idle quality, and reliability. You'll also want a good set of cylinder heads to make the most of the boost. I'd go with AFR heads myself.

You'll also need to upgrade your transmission to something like a TKO 600 and a 9" rear with 31 spline axles. A better suspension would also be a good idea. Torque arm type suspensions seem to work very well. Check out Griggs Racing, Total Control Products, and RRS. A stable front suspension is also a necessity. There's quite a few companies that make good front suspensions.

Make sure you invest in some good brakes, too. Wilwood makes some really good brakes that I want to put on my car.

These are just the basics, as there's some fine details that are absolutely vital to the car's survival.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
First off, it's a 302 not a 301 and if it is the original motor, it ain't gonna take the power a twin turbo is going to hit it with. :scratchchin

Everything the poster above stated plus another 10 grand should get you close as you really need to do something with your block. The entire car will need to be addressed as anyone can throw twin turbos on a motor...it's getting the power to the ground safely that is the hard part.

I just love noob's with 2 or 3 posts who come on here and say money is no issue, I don't care, what do I need? That makes my day and is always good for a laugh. :laugh:

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
you will need a purpose built vehicle and a complete re-manufacture of the engine. as I read some of your other posts it looks like you have a 351 is that correct. if so a lot of the 302 and 5.0 stuff will work. I think your best bet would be to go with a DSS pro bullet engine and set it up for electronic fuel injection. after that i think that STS has the best setup for a twin turbo setup less eye candy because the turbos are mounted back where the muffler normally goes but with all the piping etc. It will still be pretty awesome and the best part will be that with the sts system the intercooler is either not necessary or at least will have a lot more room up front to mount it. I would talk to STS if I were you. Squires Turbo Systems - Turbocharged Innovation!

·
Registered
1 Posts
this is my first post, however i have been lurking around this site for nearly 3 years. i am currently doing a single turbo set up in my 65.

first let me tell you that the purchase of turbo itself will be the only cheap and easy part of this upgrade. custom headers, fuel mangement , timing management , chasis strenghtening , etc etc etc. it all adds up very quickly. i have 4k in my set up already, and i havent even driven it. i have $5oo in my fuel system alone. everything regarding a turbo set up is exspensive.
check this site out if you are serious The Turbo Forums.com
going turbo is a can of worms, and a spiralling pit of money. and if you cant turn the wrenches yourself of weld and custom fabricate things yourself, then you can figure on spending enough money doing this , that you could just buy someone's already finished car, and just enjoy driving it.
not trying to discourage you.... its just difficult and expensive to turbo a car that was never meant to handle half the power the turbo will make.......
cheers. J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.