Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im looking to get the best and fastest performance out of my 03 mustang gt, which should i go with a Twin Turbo or a Supercharger?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well, based on all the threads I've read on this, I'd say the twin turbo. That'd cost a lot of money though. But if you've got the budget, you'd have my dream setup. :shigrin

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hey guys im looking to get the best and fastest performance out of my 03 mustang gt, which should i go with a Twin Turbo or a Supercharger?
are we talking alot of power or street power???

street power- supercharger

all out performance- a decent sized single turbo, the reason for a singel turbo is because twins will wiegh the car down more and then there is more fabrication work to get the twins working. SOOO basically a singel turbo setup is more efficent and will cost less. GO SINGLE TURBO AND BOOST IT TO THE MOON

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd go Twin Turbo. My friend owns a performance shop in Dallas, and his Project Cars are:
1: 2011 5.0 Mustang, Twin Turbo, dyno'd at 601 HP at the wheels
2: 2011 5.0 Mustang Supercharged, dyno'd at 555 HP at the wheels

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sts makes rear mounted turbos thatpush out a s*** load of power at low boost, like 150rwhp at like 5psi, check their site out n gve em a call they r the sickest sounding ive heard sae a v8 of your year w the twin setup and that thing was racing a bike and pulling on it pretty damn hard

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sts makes rear mounted turbos thatpush out a s*** load of power at low boost, like 150rwhp at like 5psi, check their site out n gve em a call they r the sickest sounding ive heard sae a v8 of your year w the twin setup and that thing was racing a bike and pulling on it pretty damn hard
i dont like rear mounted turbo, i wouldnt waste my time with them. And yes advertising is nice, but we alll know that a cold air intake doesnt give us 30 hp to the wheels. also did they push 5 psi through a stock block or a motor with cams, heads, etc etc? Not saying your wrong im just saying that 150rwhp on 5psi is a little unbelieveable. anyone can put up numbers on the internet and people take them for fact.

·
Registered
226 Posts
this is in v6 section?
but ive seen supercharged and turbocharged its just preference..
from what everyone says " superchargers are more reliable"
but from a local shop they prefer turbo because they tap into the oil in your car and superchargers use their own oil source and take power from a belt, which could cause a problem.
IMO superchargers sound way cool UNLESS its a rear mounted turbo.
and with certain turbo kits there is no "lag" but idk there must be a reason ford decides to supercharge mustangs and not turbo( minus that four banger in the 80's that was turbo :bigthumbsup)

·
Registered
365 Posts
i dont like rear mounted turbo, i wouldnt waste my time with them. And yes advertising is nice, but we alll know that a cold air intake doesnt give us 30 hp to the wheels. also did they push 5 psi through a stock block or a motor with cams, heads, etc etc? Not saying your wrong im just saying that 150rwhp on 5psi is a little unbelieveable. anyone can put up numbers on the internet and people take them for fact.
I saw the dyno from the guy he had a stock block, and for what reason not waste your time w them if it has to do wit the spool and it taking longer to get to the engine do ur research on these turbos they are a smart idea and make sense if you understand how they work

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
First things first... you have an 03 GT, so you need to post in the 4.6L Tech or 4.6L Talk forums. You will get better answers there instead of the 05-10 v6 forum.

Now, you have to figure out what your goals are for the car. If you want anything over 400/425/450rwhp (depends who you ask), you will need some motor work. And you will also need suspension work regardless of what power you decide to go with.

There is more to a car than a huge motor with big numbers. If you can't get that power to the ground, then it's useless.

·
Registered
806 Posts
this is in v6 section?
but ive seen supercharged and turbocharged its just preference..
from what everyone says " superchargers are more reliable"
but from a local shop they prefer turbo because they tap into the oil in your car and superchargers use their own oil source and take power from a belt, which could cause a problem.
IMO superchargers sound way cool UNLESS its a rear mounted turbo.
and with certain turbo kits there is no "lag" but idk there must be a reason ford decides to supercharge mustangs and not turbo( minus that four banger in the 80's that was turbo :bigthumbsup)
i would rather have a self contained unit. Dont like the fact of drilling a hole in the oil pan. This means that the turbo and the motor use that oil. Turbos get really hot which means they probably burn alot of oil. So therefore more frequent oil changes.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I saw the dyno from the guy he had a stock block, and for what reason not waste your time w them if it has to do wit the spool and it taking longer to get to the engine do ur research on these turbos they are a smart idea and make sense if you understand how they work
yes but look at where they are making that power. I did do some research and i agreee completely with what this guy had to say about it. he gives a real world experience from what he saw and what he has done. The he explains how a turbo works and why putting it in the rear is not a good idea.

""I’m sorry I’m not buying it. Look at some of the dyno numbers. No real power until the 4000rpm range. That makes sense because where the turbo is located. At 5psi the average is a 100hp gain at 4100rpm. That’s only a 20hp gain per lbs boost. At 7psi it’s a 125hp gain and that’s a 17.8hp gain per lbs. Its efficiency goes down. Again, location, location, location. My engine mounted system creates, on average, 30hp per lbs boost on a stock engine. At 7psi that’s 210hp gain. Kind of a no brainer!

Again a turbo works off the exhaust gas pressure and the velocity of expanding gasses. The only way to keep the velocity up is to keep the heat in. It makes no sense to “cool” the turbo that much. Crap, I have two turbochargers under my hood and the heat is not that bad, not like they are making it sound. Besides coat the turbo housing and exhaust with ceramic and the under hood temps go down, but guess what? With the coatings you just made the turbo more efficient. The coatings will keep the heat in, bringing up the velocity of the hot gasses

Yup, sorry, not buying it! You can!""

Think about this too, with the turbo in the rear how much actual PSI are you getting??? you run 8 foot of intake piping from the rear to the intake, you have to lose something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts