Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 11 6M, 3.73's, 2.3 Whipple, 275 Mickey radials. Twisted the left side axle shaft last time at the track. It had about .025" runout, no twist visible in the splines.

Common?

Fix?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Pretty common. On SHOs, we call our CV axles "powertrain fuses" because they blow when you put too much power through them.

Obviously, the straight axles of the Mustang are gonna be a lot stronger than a FWD SHO's, but if you make the engine stronger and the tires stickier, then something's got to give if it's not strong enough.

A lot of people running superchargers and slicks will upgrade to a 9" rear end, which has much, much stronger axles. You can also get replacement 8.8" axles that are stronger.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
These cars have two axle shafts. A left and a right. The left one is bent. Not sure how you wouldn't understand that but whatever.
You must be talking about the half shafts? I was taught that the axle shaft (only 1) hooks up to the tranny and then into the differential/rear gear. Then out of the differential goes 2 half shafts. One to the right wheel and one to the left wheel. You must have bent your left half shaft?

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
It's worked for me and every mechanic I've ever known. Yeah, right, I'm changing what has been working for decades because someone on an internet forum doesn't know what they're taking about. Get a grip!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Get a grip? You don't know the difference between a driveshaft and an axle shaft and you're telling me to get a grip.

Isn't the internet great.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Get a grip? You don't know the difference between a driveshaft and an axle shaft and you're telling me to get a grip.

Isn't the internet great.
From how things work, yes from the Internet:

In rear wheel drive cars and trucks, the engine turns a driveshaft which transmits rotational force to a drive axle at the rear of the vehicle. The drive axle may be a live axle, but modern automobiles generally use a half shaft split by a differential.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It's worked for me and every mechanic I've ever known. Yeah, right, I'm changing what has been working for decades because someone on an internet forum doesn't know what they're taking about. Get a grip!
Dude you don't know what you are talking about. What connect the transmission to the differential is the drive shaft and the solid rear axle cars have two axles inside of the rear end housing. One connect to the right tire and one to the left. And they both connect to the diferential. The diferential is bolted to the ring gear.. half shaft do the same thing but they are in irs cars and have universal joints on each end because the differential does not move with the syspension.

O.P I don't think that this is a common issue at least on cars with stock power levels. But when you have 500+ ft lbs of torque and have a good hook on a launch is really tough for the rear end. You could get stronger axles but your weakest link will be the differential itself. I can't see your sig. Because I'm on a mobile. Do you have a mt or auto?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Dude you don't know what you are talking about. What connect the transmission to the differential is the drive shaft and the solid rear axle cars have two axles inside of the rear end housing. One connect to the right tire and one to the left. And they both connect to the diferential. The diferential is bolted to the ring gear.. half shaft do the same thing but they are in irs cars and have universal joints on each end because the differential does not move with the syspension.

O.P I don't think that this is a common issue at least on cars with stock power levels. But when you have 500+ ft lbs of torque and have a good hook on a launch is really tough for the rear end. You could get stronger axles but your weakest link will be the differential itself. I can't see your sig. Because I'm on a mobile. Do you have a mt or auto?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Yes and the two axles inside the rear housing are comonly called half shafts due to being split by the differential!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Holy ****, quit your bitching, both of you. Why are you seriously even having this argument? He said left axle, so he obviously wasn't ******* talking about the driveshaft, of which there is only one. Use a little damned logic.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Holy ****, quit your bitching, both of you. Why are you seriously even having this argument? He said left axle, so he obviously wasn't ******* talking about the driveshaft, of which there is only one. Use a little damned logic.
Geez . . ... lighten up already. I was just asking for further clarification because I wanted to understand what the OP was referring to. You did not need to start this again it was quiet for well over an hour. Practice what you preach!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yes and the two axles inside the rear housing are comonly called half shafts due to being split by the differential!
BlackGT - You are wrong on your terminology.

Solid axle vehicles, like the Mustang, have Axle Shafts, but are commonly just called Axles, since the left and right are identical in most applications.

Independent Rear Suspension, Rear drive vehicles, use Half Shafts. Example, new 2010+ Camaro.

Front Wheel drive vehicles always use Half Shafts.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Got an 11 6M, 3.73's, 2.3 Whipple, 275 Mickey radials. Twisted the left side axle shaft last time at the track. It had about .025" runout, no twist visible in the splines.

Common?

Fix?
Yep, if you hooked up good and lauched at too high an rpm, you can twist or break the axles. There are usually only two things that will break at the drag strip in the rear axle assembly, the Pinion Gear, or an Axle.

If you want to avoid this, install some hardened axles like these. I also recommend you install an 8.8 girdle like this.

The obvious solution will be to lower your launch rpm, or let the clutch slip just a hair at launch instead of popping your clutch off the line. Once you strengthen the rear end, you will need to address the driveshaft. After that, you will probably need a hardened input shaft on the transmission. Somewhere between all this, you will probably need a better clutch, etc....

These cars are not built for drag racing with slicks or drag radials, but they are excellent platform's for drag racing as long as you're willing to invest money on better parts as you break the stock ones.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
BlackGT - You are wrong on your terminology.

Solid axle vehicles, like the Mustang, have Axle Shafts, but are commonly just called Axles, since the left and right are identical in most applications.
Independent Rear Suspension, Rear drive vehicles have Half Shafts. Example, new 2010+ Camaro.
Front Wheel drive vehicles have Half Shafts
As the quote I provided above states the term "half shaft" is interchagable as well as the reason I asked for further clarification. It's like saying your modern car doesn't have an ignition coil and a distributor. True when it's compared to an old car, but factually false in that a modern car has coil on plug and the spark is distributed by a computer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, if you hooked up good and lauched at too high an rpm, you can twist or break the axles. There are usually only two things that will break at the drag strip in the rear axle assembly, the Pinion Gear, or an Axle.

If you want to avoid this, install some hardened axles like these. I also recommend you install an 8.8 girdle like this.

The obvious solution will be to lower your launch rpm, or let the clutch slip just a hair at launch instead of popping your clutch off the line. Once you strengthen the rear end, you will need to address the driveshaft. After that, you will probably need a hardened input shaft on the transmission. Somewhere between all this, you will probably need a better clutch, etc....

These cars are not built for drag racing with slicks or drag radials, but they are excellent platform's for drag racing as long as you're willing to invest money on better parts as you break the stock ones.
I've seen the Mosers and read some reviews that they're not as stout as the Strange ones. And also heard from a very knowledgable source that neither of those brands in an 8.8 application is as strong as stock believe it or not. I do have the girdled cover already. I put a new stock shaft in and will just baby the thing, I do find it hard to believe with all the guys running serious times with these I'm the only one to twist an axle.

And 12blackgt, yes that's what it's called. Axle or axle shaft. Not 1/2 shaft. Where do these guys come from that march in and stupid up a thread with misinformed BS?

·
Registered
826 Posts
As the quote I provided above states the term "half shaft" is interchagable as well as the reason I asked for further clarification. It's like saying your modern car doesn't have an ignition coil and a distributor. True when it's compared to an old car, but factually false in that a modern car has coil on plug and the spark is distributed by a computer.
I bet you're a real joy to be around.

Ok smart guy, perform a Google search for a 1964-1998 or 2005-2012 Mustang half shaft, then do the same for a 1999-2004 Mustang. What do you find?

This is a Mustang forum, not a general automotive forum, and people that know Mustang's don't call straight solid axles, half shafts.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I bet you're a real joy to be around.

Ok smart guy, perform a Google search for a 1964-1998 or 2005-2012 Mustang half shaft, then do the same for a 1999-2004 Mustang. What do you find?

This is a Mustang forum, not a general automotive forum, and people that know Mustang's don't call straight solid axles, half shafts.
You'd win that bet as I am a joy to be around, but the rest of your post is simply noise as well as wrong! The FORD mechanic that installed my GT500 axle backs told me that he should be able to fit his hand between the axle half shafts and the exhaust pipe! Correctly phrased and I understood exactly what he meant! I suppose you're going to tell me he doesn't know Mustangs either?!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By the sound of it he had a brain fart. Maybe you guys talk real funny down there, but you're fighting a losing battle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts