Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 96 gt automatic. I've been driving it four a couple weeks and it runs great. Except for one problem.
I have some sort of vibration problem. When I first start the car up and put it in drive with my foot on the break, if I sit for a minute or two it will start vibrating, seemingly coming from the motor. You feel the steering wheel vibrate and can and feel it in your seat a bit. The motor doesn't seem to be missing. But it seems to get worst when there's more draw. For ex. if I'm running tha air compressor or it seems to cycle perhapw when the fan kicks in. When I'm driving it when I come to a stop at a traffic light and put my foot on the brake same thing. If I put the car in neutral or drive it gets better but I think it still does it a little bit, very slightly. It doesn't do this all the time. I took it to a garage and it wouldn't do it the whole time I was there. If you can help I'd appreciate it.

oh the other question. I need tires. I assume they are the stock rims on here and it has 225/55/16's on there. Is this the only size I can go with on this rim?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi ocgirl

Since this is your first post - welcome to this forum!

To fix this problem you might want to look into:

First of all check for vacuum leaks on the intake side. There are plenty of conections (hoses) which could be loose/not plugged in.
Since the motor runns rich in the start up cycle, it wouldn'd bother about a minor vacuum leak, but as soon as the motor gets hot and therefore out of the warm up loop, it would have problems to combust a "to lean" mixture.

Secod, I would check the engine temperature. Someone at a dealership can read that out of the system on one of their data loggers.
If the motor gets hot, but not hot enough to get out of the warm up loop, the motor would run to rich, which could also cause these problems.
(Such a problem could be due to a faulty thermostat)

Last but not least, I'd check the IAC (Idle Air Controller). The IAC is located on the front side of your intake plennum and looks like a 1.5" diaeter silver cylinder - at the end of the IAC you have a electric connector.
The IAC's are well known to fail in almost all Fords. Since they only go for aprox. $40 I would just replace it, without even tryig to clean it.

I hope this helps.
Have fun

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
My money is on the Idle Air Controller.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm going to try these things. When it's running like this the rpms don't really go up. I was worried that I was looking at motor mounts or the harmonic balancer, although when you put it into drive you don't feel the motor shift at all. I would much rather it be a sensor issue or vacuum lines. But you know it doesn't seem to run badly at all and the temp is always pretty low. Once I move the car it stops immediately.
It also doesn't have to warm up much only a minute or two til these problems happen. The car does have alot of miles on it.
By the way thanks for the forums. They're great. Before the mustang I had a wrangler and used a similar forum to help me out. I love this mustang though and don't know why I didn't buy one sooner. I'm hooked. If i can only keep the car out of the hands of my twin 18yo sons.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Sounds like a motor or tranny mount has gone bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.