Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the FRPP CAI and Pro-Cal tuner. I also have an SCT-X3 with 3 Tillman tunes in it. Start this process with the factory tune back in the car. I have this idea which I think should work but I am not sure so I am throwing it out to see if any one says, "Don't do that" :nono:

My idea is to use the Pro-cal tuner first to load in Fords 91 Performance tune which is required now that I have a their CAI. But then Use the SCT tuner to load in my Tillman tune which if what I am thinking is correct, will think that the Ford Racing tune is the "factory" tune and make a copy of it inside the tuner before over writing that tune with one of my Tillman tunes.

The SCT would then contain all my performance tunes. The "stock" tune for the CAI would then be my emissions tune and the other three for what after market tunes are for.

The Pro-cal tuner would contain the Ford pre CAI stock tune.

So tuner experts, do you think that would work or is this one of those don't do that kind of things. :so

·
Registered
921 Posts
I can't say i see any point in using the pro-cal to begin with. The only time you MIGHT use pro-cal is to pass inspection if that becomes a problem with SCT's. I'm no tuner expert but the only step it seems to save you is skipping one step from SCT into stock into pro-cals. (Still confused why you'd want to use pro-cals?)

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
The pro cal tool isn't loading a factory calibration so I seriously doubt that it will work.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the FRPP CAI and Pro-Cal tuner. I also have an SCT-X3 with 3 Tillman tunes in it. Start this process with the factory tune back in the car. I have this idea which I think should work but I am not sure so I am throwing it out to see if any one says, "Don't do that" :nono:

My idea is to use the Pro-cal tuner first to load in Fords 91 Performance tune which is required now that I have a their CAI. But then Use the SCT tuner to load in my Tillman tune which if what I am thinking is correct, will think that the Ford Racing tune is the "factory" tune and make a copy of it inside the tuner before over writing that tune with one of my Tillman tunes.

The SCT would then contain all my performance tunes. The "stock" tune for the CAI would then be my emissions tune and the other three for what after market tunes are for.

The Pro-cal tuner would contain the Ford pre CAI stock tune.

So tuner experts, do you think that would work or is this one of those don't do that kind of things. :so
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Looks like I need to clarify a bit more.

Pro Cal tuner came with the CAI and Contains a 91 emissions tune
SCT tuner has 3 tunes in it from Tillman Speed.

What I am thinking about is to end up with 4 usable tunes in the SCT. The 3 from Tillman of which I run all the time except for when there is a reason to run the Ford tune. I want the SCT returning to "stock" to load the Ford 91 Tune in support of the FRPP CAI.

It seems to me that this should work should I first start from the original stock tune in the car. Then have the procal swap in the ford CAI 91 tune. Then the car will have an emissions 91 tune in it and the factory tune which I can only use if I put the stock air box back on will be in the pro-cal and stored with the air box.

Then I bring out my SCT tuner with its 3 Tillman tunes in it. At this point the SCT will not be vin locked. I load in my 91 Performance tune and in the process the SCT copies my Ford 91 tune from the car to the SCT; The SCT thinking that the Ford 91 tune is Stock.

I wind up with the SCT tuner containing my 3 Tillman tunes and the "Stock" Ford 91 Tune for the CAI.

I won't need the Pro-Cal again unless I return to the stock air box.

I will have two vin locked tuners. The Pro-Cal will be vin locked, and so will the SCT. If the VIN lock is a function of the car's computer and not simply a copy protection scheme built into the tuner it won't work. But I speculate that the car doesn't care about VIN locks and the Pro Cal and the SCT won't know about each other. :scratchchin

So I speculate that the SCT would be happy to consider my FRPP tune as stock when I load in my custom tune.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the Verdict Is....

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Looks like I need to clarify a bit more.

Pro Cal tuner came with the CAI and Contains a 91 emissions tune
SCT tuner has 3 tunes in it from Tillman Speed.

What I am thinking about is to end up with 4 usable tunes in the SCT. The 3 from Tillman of which I run all the time except for when there is a reason to run the Ford tune. I want the SCT returning to "stock" to load the Ford 91 Tune in support of the FRPP CAI.

It seems to me that this should work should I first start from the original stock tune in the car. Then have the procal swap in the ford CAI 91 tune. Then the car will have an emissions 91 tune in it and the factory tune which I can only use if I put the stock air box back on will be in the pro-cal and stored with the air box.

Then I bring out my SCT tuner with its 3 Tillman tunes in it. At this point the SCT will not be vin locked. I load in my 91 Performance tune and in the process the SCT copies my Ford 91 tune from the car to the SCT; The SCT thinking that the Ford 91 tune is Stock.

I wind up with the SCT tuner containing my 3 Tillman tunes and the "Stock" Ford 91 Tune for the CAI.

I won't need the Pro-Cal again unless I return to the stock air box.

I will have two vin locked tuners. The Pro-Cal will be vin locked, and so will the SCT. If the VIN lock is a function of the car's computer and not simply a copy protection scheme built into the tuner it won't work. But I speculate that the car doesn't care about VIN locks and the Pro Cal and the SCT won't know about each other. :scratchchin

So I speculate that the SCT would be happy to consider my FRPP tune as stock when I load in my custom tune.
In case anyone was wondering....

I went for it with my plan this evening and it worked. :happydance:

My SCT-X3 now has 4 usable tunes for use with my FRPP CAI in it.

Return to stock will now load the FRPP performance tune which originally was in Ford Racing's Pro-Cal tool and is CARB approved.
And the pro-cal tool now has the stock air box tune in it as it is supposed to.

Now to return the car to the stock tune with the stock air box I will first use the SCT to return to "stock" then the Pro cal tool to return to stock. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
seems like extra work but if it works, it works :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
the sct could have held the factory stock tune. tillmans tunes were writen for your cai and probably better than the procal tune to begin with. i`d say burn 1 life off the tuner and just use the sct.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.