Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing the front end on the 68, replaced the upper and lower control arms about 10 years ago. Car was only driven about 10,000 miles since then. The UCA appear tight, no play, move very nicely. Should I replace them while everything is apart or just throw a new balljoint on them and keep them? I can afford new ones.....
Thanks,
Drew

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Your upper control arms should still be fine. But if you plan on replacing the ball joints anyways, you might as well buy a Shelby drop kit. If there's slop in the steering, check the steering box and linkage before anything else. That's the most likely source.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You can email John but give him a few days to respond. He hurt his back a few weeks ago and is running behind right now. Unfortunately it's what happens when you're a small outfit with personalized service and have no one to fall back on when you're sick/hurt.

I'm waiting for him to get back to me on some roller parts I've ordered.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I installed spring perches that came with poly bushings. They are doing fine after several years of use. They are less costly than the rollerized design and absolutely much better than the OE type with the rubber bushings that don't seem to hold up for any period of time.

I'd check your control arms for any stress cracking, especially the uppers where the balljoint mounting holes are located. The upper balljoint is the one that gets the most punishment. Also make sure that the upper arm bushings have lubrication as I have found that they are hard to grease because of the close tolerance in them. They will eventually start to make a creaking sound if you don't get any lube to them.

Getting custom control arms is great, but really unnecessary for a street car. It's the stock rubber bushed spring perches that I would definately upgrade because they don't last.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.